• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Krag lever Gun

KACstealth

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2011
The north pole
I inherited a Krag rifle that is a lever gun. It is not in pristine shape but is probably in working condidtion. It is chambered in 7.62 by something or another.

What i am curious is to the history of the rifle and what they were used for?

Thanks

Re: Krag lever Gun

I believe that Winchester made some 1895 lever rifles for the Tsar's army in 7.62x54 rimmed. Is it in like a military stock, with sling swivels?? Somewhat rare, I think. The 1895 was also made in 30-40 Krag, but it was marked 30 cal US, not 7.62. Should have Winchester stamped on the tang somewhere.

yes, the barrel is stamped winchester. but the caliber appeared odd so i was confused. so cool, it was exported for Russian use then?

The Russian gov't bought some from Winchester, don't know how many. Is the stock a military type, like extended foreend, barrel bands, etc?

You mentioned "Krag", Many of the Win Model 95s were made in the 30-40 Krag round.

It was also made in 30 Cal US, which was the 30-03 round, the forrunner of the 30-06 cart.

Sounds like you need to determine if your rifle is a 30-40 Krag or 7.62X54 R.

They also make the '95 in 405 Win. round.

2.jpg

Given my choice, I'd have the Winchester, the Lugar and the Broomhandle vs. the AR! But all are very nice!

Thanks for posting. That's a great 95 you have!

I would consider getting a good gunsmith to do a chamber cast or get a very good read on the caliber. Because while some of those rounds will chamber in different barrels, you sure don't want to shoot the wrong round.

Spectacular piece of history. You can write Winchester and get it lettered. I would do that in a heartbeat with that rifle. Some of those went to San Juan Hill.... Recently around here, someone turned up an SAA that was part of the range issued to the Rough Riders. Every now and then, the gems show up.

Cheers and thanks very much for sharing!

Sirhr

really wow! i will do that. so it is neat and not something generic. that is good to know. having a degree in history and being a firearms enthusist i really need to learn more about historic weapons

Spanish american war would totally make sense. I do need to clean it up, it is not in perfect condition.

I looked up the Russian M95--Winchester made 300,000 of these, but after the Tsar was whacked by the Bolshies, some went to Spain, most went nobody knows where. Worth about $1200 in 50% condition, in 7.62x54 cal. Probably not cleaned too often, and with corrosive primers, the bores are usually doggie-doo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KACstealth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its a SCAR haha not an AR in the 2nd pic</div></div>

Touche! That said, I wasn't looking at the plastickey black thing being used to prop up the table in the second photo. I can only assume that the coffee table had a broken leg and the SCAR was readily available to prop it up to gently and sympathetically hold the nice old Winchester to keep it off the floor.

The lovely old iron on that table will still be going Bang and turning heads when the SCAR has been turned back into milk jugs, door mats and Prius body panels.

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. All in Jest. Actually, I would love a SCAR and will probably have one some day. I played with them in 2002 at the SO/LIC show in DC when they were still in the late development phase. I loved the ergonomics. But it wasn't a Lugar! OP... there is a Vintage Handguns thread somewhere in here... Now that you know how to post pictures...