• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kreiger barrel contour question???

RTA

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2009
S. Georgia
How much of a difference is there between a kreiger ss#7 contour and a ss#8 contour barrel? I want to have Kreiger rebarrel an action I have in the safe. I want go with a 24" length with a 1-10twist chambered in .308. I do not know anything about Kreiger barrel contours except what I read from there site. Thought some of you guys with more shooting time than I could educate me on which would do better and why. Are these contours heavy enough to shoot,say a 10 shot string of fire and stay tight? Sorry up front if this is not that big of a deal either way in choices. There isn't a difference in price but would like to get the most for the money in weight without damaging accuracy. I like to target shoot the most from 100 to around 600yds or so. Hard to get much more distance here in south Ga. Thanks for any help.

Re: Kreiger barrel contour question???

How fast 10 shot are you talking? I am still pretty new to the bolt game but it seems like a lot of shooters are going to these lighter profiles to save weight. If you are worried about cooling then look into maybe getting it fluted.

You'll never be able to tell the difference between the two except for the 1/2 pound, if you can tell that.

The #15 & #16 are close to the #7 & #8 as well. These contours are used for Palma shooters and they send 10 rounds down range as well. No ill effects.

There is no black magic where contours are concerned.

I like the weight of my tba m40 copy,not sure of the barrel contour,but it is a shilen 1-11.25twist. I think the gun is around 13lbs unloaded. Really solid to shoot behind from prone and off the table. Sometimes I'll shoot a fast string of fire as fast I can from prone just to see what I can do. Here is a photo of the tba .308,it is the black bolt gun. Thanks for the info,wnroscoe.
2vimuis.jpg