KRG backbone cant

Tritiumdials

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2020
Does anyone else's KRG stock/chassis have a slight cant? I just installed a Tikka into a new KRG Bravo and the NV Backbone mount is canted about 2 degrees according the digital angle gauge. Based on visual observation, my arca spigot is also oriented like the NV mount cant too, leading me to believe the entire backbone system may have been tweaked. Front and rear action screws were torqued to about 47 in/lb.

edit: Fixed after removing some material from the trigger guard.

Last edited:

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    Does anyone else's KRG stock/chassis have a slight cant? I just installed a Tikka into a new KRG Bravo and the NV Backbone mount is canted about 2 degrees according the digital angle gauge. Based on visual observation, my arca spigot is also oriented like the NV mount cant too, leading me to believe the entire backbone system may have been tweaked. Front and rear action screws were torqued to about 47 in/lb.

You bought a $400 mass-produced stock product in which every single feature has an allowable tolerance.

If you think +/- 0 degrees is a reasonable angular tolerance in a non-custom product, well, you'll be disappointed.

M4guru

Sergeant
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Aug 27, 2006
    Wyoming
    Loosen all the screws holding the handguard to the aluminum sub-chassis and retighten them in an opposing pattern.

The hardware might be pulling it in one direction slightly. Worked on my T1X stock.

VargmatII

Private
    Minuteman
    Sep 16, 2020
    Is the recoil lug seated in the action?
    It can be a tight fit and I've seen it missed before.

Tritiumdials

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Aug 29, 2020
    You bought a $400 mass-produced stock product in which every single feature has an allowable tolerance.

If you think +/- 0 degrees is a reasonable angular tolerance in a non-custom product, well, you'll be disappointed.
    Not a whole lot to ask considering it’s in a semi-chassis.

Loosen all the screws holding the handguard to the aluminum sub-chassis and retighten them in an opposing pattern.

The hardware might be pulling it in one direction slightly. Worked on my T1X stock.

Just tried this and it didn’t work. Appreciate the suggestion.

Is the recoil lug seated in the action?
    It can be a tight fit and I've seen it missed before.

I just removed the action and ensured it’s all seated. No change. Appreciate the suggestion.

srt-4_uk

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 6, 2011
    Nebraska

What's the difference between the backbone in the $1000 Whiskey 3 chassis and the $400 Bravo?

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    What's the difference between the backbone in the $1000 Whiskey 3 chassis and the $400 Bravo?

You will have to ask KRG. I don't work there.

I do know this: you don't get something for nothing in manufacturing.

After 30 years, I've picked up a few things along the way.

Reactions: JakeM

Ledzep

Chancellor
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jun 9, 2009
    NE
    Loosen the action screws and rotate/wiggle the action as you re-tighten them. If that doesn't fix it I'd live with it or call KRG.

Tritiumdials

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Aug 29, 2020
    Loosen the action screws and rotate/wiggle the action as you re-tighten them. If that doesn't fix it I'd live with it or call KRG.
    I’m going to contact KRG about it and line it up with a barrel swap if deemed necessary.

Canted two degrees in relation to what?
    To the base/optic configuration. It’s quite apparent when you stand above the rifle rested on the bipod and see how offset it is in relation to the optic and Raptar mount.

Tritiumdials

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Aug 29, 2020
    Show us the calibration
    You should probably go for a walk, this thread hit you in the feels for some strange reason. 30 years of some unexplained profession and you choose to waste your time here.

Digital angle gauge indicates a cant and multiple bubble levels indicate pretty severe inconsistency between the NV cap and my base/optic.

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    You should probably go for a walk, this thread hit you in the feels for some strange reason. 30 years of some unexplained profession and you choose to waste your time here.

Digital angle gauge indicates a cant and multiple bubble levels indicate pretty severe inconsistency between the NV cap and my base/optic.

2 degrees is severe?

LOL

kl3309

glock, 'cause poors are poor
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 26, 2011
    Defunded!
    If the NV bridge is square with the spigot then the problem has to be with how the action is sitting in the chassis. With the receiver screws loosened, can you rotate the receiver on the axis of the bore? Did you square the action with the NV bridge before you tightened the action screws?

fdkay

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 27, 2009
    Ingleside, Tx
    I’m going to contact KRG about it and line it up with a barrel swap if deemed necessary.

To the base/optic configuration. It’s quite apparent when you stand above the rifle rested on the bipod and see how offset it is in relation to the optic and Raptar mount.
    So, you're assuming the base/optic are perfectly squared up.
    That's not an assumption I would make.