• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KRG Bravo - Barrel Weight and Balance

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I am awaiting arrival of my ordered KRG Bravo (Howa), so need a barrel to fire the 6.5 x 47 rounds. I do not have any good idea of barrel profiles and lengths that would achieve top accuracy, but also not adversely affect rifle balance. I prefer a heavy barrel, at least 24" - 26" long, and depending on weight, perhaps a muzzle brake. I will be shooting off a bipod on a bench (maybe some prone), or a front bag. Will I need to add some weight somewhere in the Bravo or...? I don't care how heavy the rifle is.

Thanks.

Phil

26” heavy Palma with a brake or a marksman profile.

I have a Medium Palma 26” for my creedmoor and wish I would have went heavier profile.

I have a 26" medium palma in my whiskey 3. It balances just in front of the mag well. I would guess that with a bravo, it would balance 2-3 more inches towards the muzzle.

The Bravo is a light chassis, so you could theoretically get away with a lighter barrel than other chassis's.

I generally prefer heavier profiles, and I spec'ed my wife's rifle which has a Bravo to have a 24" heavy Palma barrel. Still waiting to get it back though.

If you're not gonna be carrying it around much, I'd go for a heavier profile barrel or put some weight in the chassis, the Bravo is light. I have a Rem 700 with a 26" benchmark med Palma on it in a Bravo and it weighs about 13.5lbs with scope (HDMR2) and bipod and an unloaded mag. Feels quite light compared to my other rigs and balances a few inches ahead of the mag well.

I use a 22" HV barrel and a 26" HV barrel on my rifle with a bravo chassis. When I put my silencerco specwar on the 22" barrel, or when Im running the 26" barrel the rifle is very front heavy. My solution was to take the butt pad off, line the cavity with a small plastic bag, and pour in a mix of 5min epoxy and lead shot. After the epoxy hardens, I pull the whole bag out and peel it off of the cured epoxy/ lead mold, and reinsert the lead/epoxy mold. I now have a removable lead weight so I can alter the weight of my overall setup in just a few minutes by removing or reinstalling the lead weight.

me and buddy bought stick on wheel weights and filled the buttstock and foreend pack full of them. can't see them and we squeezed them in tight so they don't move around at all.
if you get creative you can add almost 2lbs