• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KRG Bravo for hunting gun?

TacosGigante

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2013
VA
Hi all,

I'm building a hunting rifle (Bighorn TL3 Left Hand SA, TT Special, Proof Carbon fiber 6.5CM) for primary use on the forests and hills of West Virginia/Virginia, but some western hunting thrown in. I was originally planning to use a Manners stock with a Gen 2 DBM mini chassis, and I still may, but there have been some communication issues that lead me to want to at least consider alternatives.

The KRG Bravo chassis looks promising in that it is simple, not that much heavier than a carbon fiber stock once the mini-chassis is installed, and the plastic sides should help mitigate the cold metal issue found in other chassis, plus it is much cheaper. However, I have also read about spotty qc and fittment issues. Is anyone using a KRG Bravo for a hunting gun? If so, how do you like it?

Last edited:
fitment issues? like a trigger hanger on an Impact?

the bravo, or any similar chassis does give you quiet a few options to tailor it for each hunt and with the TL3 you can easily spin other barrels on

the MDT XRS would be another nice option. and they'll give you 30 days to fit and play and if you dont like it then return it

the bravo, or any similar chassis does give you quiet a few options to tailor it for each hunt and with the TL3 you can easily spin other barrels on

the MDT XRS would be another nice option. and they'll give you 30 days to fit and play and if you dont like it then return it

I have read about things like safeties binding on the chassis etc.

The XRS does look cool. I wish they made it in left hand.

Reactions: zman15

I think a lot of fitment complaints are around the plastic mating up between the 2 sections...see picture. But the actual connection with the underlying metal feels good. I think it could make a fine hunting combination...

IMG_20201210_161239 (1).jpg

I have multiple manners, McMillan, bravo, whiskey 3, and mpa. I think for the price the bravo is perfect!! It even feels warmer to the hand then the manners and Mcmillan’s, way warmer then the metals on mpa ans whiskey. The customization about it is perfect, the hand position on it is fantastic. I was hesitant and have never been so pleasantly surprise by a stock/chassis then I have with the bravo

I use a bravo for a hunting stock and it’s excellent. The only advice I’d give you is to remove the oversized mag release “wing” as it gets caught on my jacket and wants to unlatch the mag. After doing that I have no complaints, and you can’t beat the price.

I had to remove the "Mag Release Button" from the mag release lever, as it was catching on my clothes (sling) and dropping the mag. NBD.

X18btQV.jpg

ARC Nucleus
18" Medium Palma 6.5 Creedmoor
Bushy LRTSi 4.5-18x

I like it a lot.
I have a build that looks much like that, except it is a trued 700 with a 20" Schneider SR60 contour 5P .308 barrel.
It is surprisingly light considering how stout the barrel is. I love the LRTSi, wish they made a 5-20 in the same configuration.

Recently put a KRG Bravo on my 300wm Sendaro. Love it! Since it fits me better, the felt recoil is quite a bit less. My sling system places my rifle across my chest. Can't find a problem with the KRG being carried like that.

I love my Bravo and have used it in the past for hunting. It works very well for me, even with a heavy varmint barrel and suppressor hanging off the end. It still slings nicely and carries comfortably.

It’s fine. It a “light weight” option but it’s not super heavy either so long as you don’t slap a bunch of shit on it.

View attachment 7509977
I’ve never seen a hunting dog like yours. He ain’t much to look at that’s for sure. At least he ain’t skittish around guns. I know you must think a lot of him but he sure is one lazy sob. I’d probably shoot him by mistake. 😂

I'm a big fan of the KRG Bravo Chassis. So far I have two for my hunting dogs and likely will be ordering another for a heavy palma 223 Bighorn Origin build

Attachments

• 20201212_110240.jpg
    20201212_110240.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 1,560
Reactions: deersniper
velocity and load? i have a 24" medium palma and thinking of going 20" next.

The barrel is a PVA Rock Creek button prefit and has 231 rounds down it...here's what my Magnetospeed V2 said a few weeks ago on a 50F day:

135gr Berger Classic Hunter factory ammo: 2512fps
140gr ELD-M factory ammo: 2585fps
130gr AR Hybrid factory ammo: 2658fps
130gr AR Hybrid over 39.5gr Varget in Lapua SRP brass: 2645fps

I have not verified these velocities at distance on targets. It hammers with factory 135CH though they are slow across the V2, shoots Hornady 140 and 147gr ELD-M factory ammo "good enough" but not as good as Bergers (seems to prefer the 147 a hair). I haven't put a ton of the 130gr AR Hybrid through it yet but they definitely show promise in both factory and reloaded form...using Varget because I've got 24lb+ of it on the shelf, could likely get more velocity with H4350 or IMR4451. I can live with 2650ish from a 130 for my purposes...

Reactions: FrozenMinnesotan
Recently decided I wanted a long range hunting gun, and I'd like to try a custom action, so I moved the CTR to back to a Whiskey 3 I had sitting around so I can setup a switch barrel long range hunting rifle for out here in AZ. Its a hair above 11 lbs. I have lighter guns for mountain hunting, but this is perfectly fine for its uses. To be honest, it usually costs less money to cut weight out of my other hunting gear than it goes my gun.

I know its not a Bravo, but I have a Bravo too and with the aluminum bottom metal and tool-less butt pad adjustment + spacers the W3 actually weighs 1 oz less than my Bravo.

Cscszm5.jpg

I installed a KRG Bravo on my sons Rem 700 .308 Magpul Edition and an MDT XRS on my .270 WSM Rem 700. I think both chassis systems work great for hunting but I personally think that the XRS is the better of the two. Regardless of which one you pick, a chassis opens up a world of stability when you're out in the field that is really hard to get with a regular stock.

Reactions: spife7980
I used a bravo this year and had no issues. I could see switching the mag release though, I didn’t ever hit it but I did think that it could happen. I absolutely love the bravo and after looking at other options, it is not much heavier than many other options if you need an adjustable check piece.

I went with the Bravo for my quick hunter build with a Rem 700 308 Win 20" action. I went with for the cost and weight of the chassis and the amount of options they have for it. The fit and finish is fine and I had no issues with anything fitting when I assembled it.

If you are looking at building a light weight rifle, take a look at AG COMPOSITES, my buddy has there Alpine Hunter and likes it.

I'm a big fan of the KRG Bravo Chassis. So far I have two for my hunting dogs and likely will be ordering another for a heavy palma 223 Bighorn Origin build

could you list the build specson that bottom rifle, please.

absolute beauty.

edit: just went through some posts and saw it’s a tikka.

I've got 3 Bravos and like them quite a bit. No fitment issues for me and everything lines up like it should. Admittedly I havent taken one on a mountain hunt as I spend all day climbing up and down hills, but you certainly could.

Mine are all on Tikkas. A T1X, a CTR w/CTR mags, and a standard AICS patterned one on a Tikka Lite.

That is correct, the bottom is an older T3 Life 300wsm with the KRG Bravo, bolt fluted by LRI and Bushnell LRHS scope.

I don't have much 1st hand experience, but my friend hunts with a Howa in a the bravo chassis and likes it. I'm sure its more enjoyable to shoot in the cold than some all aluminum setups.

Krg bravo is a lot for a little

You could lose a pound running an eh1 or something Of that Ilk. But if ur packing quarters, head, straps and loins put, fretting over 1lb seems silly.

that said I still prefer the bravo ergo’s over any manners I’ve ever run. That it’s sub 3pounds and 350$ is unreal deal.

Krg bravo is a lot for a little

You could lose a pound running an eh1 or something Of that Ilk. But if ur packing quarters, head, straps and loins put, fretting over 1lb seems silly.

that said I still prefer the bravo ergo’s over any manners I’ve ever run. That it’s sub 3pounds and 350$ is unreal deal.

also, you could likely shave about half that off with a mill and some careful machining of the aluminum backbone if you really wanted to get anal about weight.

I personally don’t mind the extra weight because I prefer the stability of a slightly heavier rifle.

With the factory sporter barrel the balance is already behind the front action screw with the atlas.

Could probably get it about just right if I ran the spigot mount and pushed the bipod further forward.

It’s never going to be a great feeling walk all day in hand sort of rifle. A big ass aics mag hanging out the belly seals that. But running a Leupold 6x on a Montana in talleys didn’t seem that vastly different or then the piggy tikka for all day up and down gully’s type hunts.

But I know which one I want to get behind when a monster needs to be shot ASAP at 500 plus yards.

Recently decided I wanted a long range hunting gun, and I'd like to try a custom action, so I moved the CTR to back to a Whiskey 3 I had sitting around so I can setup a switch barrel long range hunting rifle for out here in AZ. Its a hair above 11 lbs. I have lighter guns for mountain hunting, but this is perfectly fine for its uses. To be honest, it usually costs less money to cut weight out of my other hunting gear than it goes my gun.

I know its not a Bravo, but I have a Bravo too and with the aluminum bottom metal and tool-less butt pad adjustment + spacers the W3 actually weighs 1 oz less than my Bravo.

Cscszm5.jpg

How do the W3 and bravo compare to each other in feel for your firing hand, cheek, shoulder etc?

Perfect thread to show off a bit lol. I’m a huge fan of the Bravo for all applications. But my only current bravo is on my 450 Bushmaster deer rifle. It’s a badass setup for Southern Michigan farm country and I wouldn’t at all be hesitant to take it to the bigger woods up north. It’s a CA Mesa and I didn’t have a fit issues at all. Plug and play
85360F7A-F9DF-4F8A-94E2-17F310EA5766.jpeg
5DF9E9C5-81D1-470A-9806-656E87FC7046.jpeg
73114B16-15F5-435E-869E-F0A106052E23.jpeg

I have several bravos, and a whiskey 3 chassis and have no issues with fit or function. I have 2 Remingtons, a Bergara, and a Curtis mounted in them. It’s my favorite stock. It’s affordable for all it offers. Buy with confidence!

How do the W3 and bravo compare to each other in feel for your firing hand, cheek, shoulder etc?

I have 1 of each. Each person is different so this is strictly an opinion. The bravo feels a touch short and the spacers or the new adjustable length of pull is welcome. Other then that, especially for the money I can’t think of a better stock/chassis. Fit, finish, feel is simply tough to beat. It’s one of my favourites!! The whiskey 3 is great, love the look, the adjustability but I actually find the grip slightly nicer on the bravo and slightly more comfortable. The whiskey 3 is on my main comp gun and the bravo is on my trainer.

I have a few Mcmillan’s, mpa, mdt, and manners to compare them too, and I feel The krg stuff is amazing

I'm so glad I found this thread. Started my dream hunting rifle build from a majority of parts sourced from the Hide.
Rem 700la action from a member here. Now at GA for a bolt handle and blueprinting.
KRG Bravo from a member here.
280AI Nosler Brass from a member here.
Carbon Six Remage barrel ordered. Came across them from a thread here.
Maybe I'll do a Hide Hunter thread.

Placeholder for rifle pic.

Older thread but I got a Tikka UPR and this thing has an excellent feeling, lightweight, stiff stock that will be perfect for hunting. I’ll be on the lookout for another UPR stock. I recently got a Bravo. It’s nice for off the bench but it’s a tad “hefty” and “blocky” for a hunting rifle IMO
60B4AAA0-58CA-452A-8371-48392D23C873.jpeg

Reactions: J-Roger and Bakwa
Any idea what the stock weighs on it’s own?

I don’t know what the stock weighs on its own but it’s similar in weight to the factory CTR stock. I weighed my 20” barrel UPR rigged out with scope and it’s a little over 9lbs.

Attachments

• 7AC8722A-94F6-43E0-AB17-42450BFB9C51.jpeg
    7AC8722A-94F6-43E0-AB17-42450BFB9C51.jpeg
    388.7 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: J-Roger