• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KRG Bravo, Howa 1500 varmint in .223

BlindSpider

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2021
Sydney, Australia
I've recently picked up a heavy barrel Howa 1500 SA, and I'm not a particular fan of the rubber stock it came with. Having looked around, I'm leaning towards the KRG Bravo but from what I understand a little bit of modification of the bolt stop is needed to get the magazines to feed properly.

Instead of shaving the bolt stop down, is it possible to put in a .308 bolt stop.

In terms of magazines though, I just want to double check MDT metal and polymer mags will feed, I had read a bloke online had feeding issues.

Oooooh, I have this exact build. Yes, I had to cut the bolt stop with a Dremel. I accidentally missed my intended mark by a fair amount but there was plenty of leeway so everything's fine.

I never bothered looking into a .308 bolt stop, it took literally 8 minutes to chop the back end off of the existing bolt stop. Happy to walk you through it if you'd like.

I'm using the MDT polymer-only mags. They work great. The bolt does drag over the top of the feed lips, but it never gets caught and hasn't caused any malfunctions. Since these are polymer, I can't bend them in a bit to reduce their height, the only choice I'd have is to shave them down which I don't want to do - so I just leave them alone.

Here's my post on this very topic and included pictures.

By the way, incredibly sweet gun. You're going to love it.

Oooooh, I have this exact build. Yes, I had to cut the bolt stop with a Dremel. I accidentally missed my intended mark by a fair amount but there was plenty of leeway so everything's fine.

I never bothered looking into a .308 bolt stop, it took literally 8 minutes to chop the back end off of the existing bolt stop. Happy to walk you through it if you'd like.

I'm using the MDT polymer-only mags. They work great. The bolt does drag over the top of the feed lips, but it never gets caught and hasn't caused any malfunctions. Since these are polymer, I can't bend them in a bit to reduce their height, the only choice I'd have is to shave them down which I don't want to do - so I just leave them alone.

Here's my post on this very topic and included pictures.

By the way, incredibly sweet gun. You're going to love it.
Thank you for the link mate, the bolt stop is the only issue you've had with it, everything else has been good?

You don't have a bipod on it by any chance, I'm just wondering if the sling stud harris interfaces alright.

And I hope I can get it all put together and take it out soon, what sort of groups have you been able to get from it mate?

I took the sling stud off, attached the 2" pic rail that came with my Bravo, and put a Magpul bipod on it that I'm quite happy with. That said, a Harris will interface just fine with that sling stud.

Yes, the bolt stop is the only issue I had. Great gun. Soft recoiling, accurate, my son loves it (and since I bring it out to the range even when he doesn't come, you could say that I love it too).

The majority of what I've put through it so far is some of my AR generic ammo (American Eagle 55gr) which is nicely shoots around 3/4 MOA. I had a few different match loads from McCourt Munitions that performed really well in the gun (sub .5 MOA). I'd love to get a few different FGMM loads to set a baseline but it's not a priority for me and nothing's available anyway.

All in all though, for the $1400 or so I spent on putting the whole thing together, I'm really happy with it (as is my son).

I went with an MDT XRS on mine (Weatherby 308). Just wanted to chime in on the mags. I also use only the MDT full polymer mags. I tried their poly/metal mags but they would often cause the bolt to lock open. The poly only ones work great though. Magpul AICS mags also work well in it too.