• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KRG Bravo (Howa) - Interesting Differences vs Pics

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I just received my KRG Bravo for a Howa action. I am not sure some small differences I see vs photos is due to running design changes at KRG or because it is a Howa. See photos.

Every pic I have seen shows the fore-end attached with 8 visible screws. Mine has six with no visible screw heads immediately in front of the mag well as seen in other pics. I say visible screw heads, because there appear to be two screws right in front of the mag well, but the heads are not on the outside of the polymer. I can see the ends of the screws inside the chassis (see pics), but the heads are out of sight. The other six screws are in the same holes as every other Bravo pic I have seen. Right in front of the recoil lug area, beneath the aluminum backbone, is a floating shiny aluminum plate with the captured action screw. Maybe other Bravos for other actions have that too. ???

I mentioned in another thread the mis-alignment of the stock and fore-end. It is there, but exaggerated by the fact that the lines or edges are different shapes between fore-end and stock. As a pic shows, the fore-end starts dropping down below the aluminum backbone in the last few inches before meeting the stock. I am not sure why, but if I ever take it apart, I will find out. I suspect it is a tolerance variation forcing the panel downwards. The stock is also slightly splayed out around the trigger guard as well.

I am searching for a gunsmith to make me a barrel, and when done, will fit it and try it out.

Phil

Attachments

• Howa Bravo 1.jpg
    Howa Bravo 1.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Howa Bravo 2.jpg
    Howa Bravo 2.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Howa Bravo 3.jpg
    Howa Bravo 3.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Howa Bravo 4.jpg
    Howa Bravo 4.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 81
I just received my KRG Bravo for a Howa action. I am not sure some small differences I see vs photos is due to running design changes at KRG or because it is a Howa. See photos.

Every pic I have seen shows the fore-end attached with 8 visible screws. Mine has six with no visible screw heads immediately in front of the mag well as seen in other pics. I say visible screw heads, because there appear to be two screws right in front of the mag well, but the heads are not on the outside of the polymer. I can see the ends of the screws inside the chassis (see pics), but the heads are out of sight. The other six screws are in the same holes as every other Bravo pic I have seen. Right in front of the recoil lug area, beneath the aluminum backbone, is a floating shiny aluminum plate with the captured action screw. Maybe other Bravos for other actions have that too. ???

I mentioned in another thread the mis-alignment of the stock and fore-end. It is there, but exaggerated by the fact that the lines or edges are different shapes between fore-end and stock. As a pic shows, the fore-end starts dropping down below the aluminum backbone in the last few inches before meeting the stock. I am not sure why, but if I ever take it apart, I will find out. I suspect it is a tolerance variation forcing the panel downwards. The stock is also slightly splayed out around the trigger guard as well.

I am searching for a gunsmith to make me a barrel, and when done, will fit it and try it out.

Phil
http://mcgowenbarrel.com/the-howage/

The misalignment bugged me as well, but fixed easily. Remove the forend and heat the mag well area with a heat gun. Then apply some pressure upward while it cools down. It took me a few times heating it up to get it better aligned. If you remove the forend you can put it up against a flat surface and see that the mag well end is slightly out of shape.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie