• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KRG bravo paint job DIY

Jackomason

Poop-smith aka "Turd Herder"
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2013
Westcliffe Colorado
Well I've been getting a lot of PMs asking about how I did the paint job on my Bravo. If figured I'd do a write up and make an easy spot for others to find and reference. I have a few other stocks laying around and would be willing to make a video if need be.

20191019_140750.jpg

I'm happy with how this turned out and it was beyond easy. So here's what I did.

20190914_120021.jpg

Scotch bright green pads
Brake cleaner
Tape for the inlet and anything else I didn't want to hit.
Sponge that I found at ace. Some people say you need a natural something rather sponge but really anything coarse that will hold paint.

I scotch bright everywhere especially on parts where the paint is naturally thinest like corners.

Hang it and blast it off with brake clean.

I mixed some paint just to get it the way I wanted and dabbed it on with a sponge I had cut into a narrow wedge (may 1 1/4" wide) , trying to follow the same angle all the way. I had one where I either got too much paint or pressed too hard and it dripped but it was easy to fix. Lesson learned.

As long as you're happy with how it looks you dont need to worry about multiple coats because the clear coat will add strength..
20190920_120852.jpg

I let sit between coats maybe 25-30 minutes. The paint will go on thicker than it would if you were to spray it on so give it some time.

20190914_133017.jpg

Things to note:

The base is the black stock and not paint. The scotch bright will scuff it up ever so slightly but the clear coat will fill the scuffs and get rid of any chalky color.

The bravo stock takes paint extremely well, testing my pattern on some glossy cardboard was discouraging but the stock was much more forgiving and held the paint much better.

Thanks so much for the write up! Definitely doing this when I get my Bravo in a few days!

Just curious what colors you would use for one paint job to use for multiple environments.

This rifle inspired me to do one and I had a big plan to pretty much copy it. I practiced on some black plastic trash cans but once I started the plan went out the window and the rifle became what it wanted to be. I like it more than the plan I had. Lesson is just go for it, you can always sand it and start over if you don’t like it. Key for me was getting the right sponge and getting the hang of how much paint/pressure to put on it to get the desired effect.
4A65DE7C-0A57-4961-B871-DAD968868C11.jpeg

Just curious what colors you would use for one paint job to use for multiple environments.

Honestly it's just looking at the colors in your area, season and having a realistic ratio of what you might see. Mine was inspired by sage brush in all seasons but particalrily in the fall/ winter.

I've been tempted to do something with the oranges/yellows and green but it's a very short season here and the ratios arent the same when you in the trees as opposed to looking at the forest/ mountains. Although pure aesthetics the pattern would be awesome.

Look at places where you may sit or stalk and ask if the colors would conceal you or expose you. Those are my armature thoughts anyway....

I understand camoflauge concept, I guess I should have structured the question differently.

With the expectation of your areas environment, has anyone found a mixture of colors or pattern that has worked in multiple environments?

No. Printed camouflage sucks.

It almost always sucks unless it's exactly the right environment. Except for digital. There is no right environment for digital unless you're hiding on the internet...., and Kryptek. Kryptek sucks as much as digital unless you are hiding in a pit of snakes.

I guess what I'm saying is that I used what I think works best for the western slope of Colorado and New Mexico. Just look around you and make general assumptions and go to the hardware store.

What are you asking? If you want a pattern that will be awesome for any environment... well then tell the military when you find one cause you'll be rolling in $$$$. You will always need to customize depending on your location.

Most critters wont care what colors you've chosen while at normal shooting distances. Unless of course they are looking back at you with an optic.

@Jackomason Paint looks good on the Bravo. Out of curiosity, what scope is sitting on that rifle?
Thanks, this scope I've had for a little too long. That and my bipod are on the short list.

It's a bushnell ET 6-24x50 with the HDMR reticle. Its served me well but it's gotten foggy and doesnt preform with much mirage. It was a good scope for 2011~12 (?)

Thanks, this scope I've had for a little too long. That and my bipod are on the short list.

It's a bushnell ET 6-24x50 with the HDMR reticle. Its served me well but it's gotten foggy and doesnt preform with much mirage. It was a good scope for 2011~12 (?)

I thought it looked familiar. I have the same scope but it’s still very clear. You think about contacting Bushnell? All Elite series has lifetime warranty.

I thought it looked familiar. I have the same scope but it’s still very clear. You think about contacting Bushnell? All Elite series has lifetime warranty.

8-9 years is a long time for a budget scope. But I guess it's worth a shot. It's mostly after 800 yards and here in Colorado mirage is pretty harsh. Still tracks great!

Dont the just replace the ET's with a forge if there are any issues?

Green, Khaki, gray. Put it on with a car washing sponge.

Oh ok. Trying to get that worn look a little faster?

Naw, just going to hydro dip it when it wares out.

I let my kids loose with the sponges. They decided to smear, dab, and generally randomize everything. It's not boring anymore so I'm happy, and they were excited enough about gun arts and crafts we need to paint up a few cheap ar's now.

Krylon gray, moss green, hunter green, Walnut brown and matte clear.

They didn't leave much of the FDE, but it's a boring color I figured would be a good base to paint.

IMG_20200221_162044659.jpg
IMG_20200221_214716205.jpg

8-9 years is a long time for a budget scope. But I guess it's worth a shot. It's mostly after 800 yards and here in Colorado mirage is pretty harsh. Still tracks great!

Dont the just replace the ET's with a forge if there are any issues?

I sent in an hdmr for repair and got an XRS2 back. Send it in and if they give you any trouble, I have a contact at bushnell.

Reactions: 260284
I sent in an hdmr for repair and got an XRS2 back. Send it in and if they give you any trouble, I have a contact at bushnell.

Yeah I'm considering it, it also has slipped .5 mils down on me twice but I cant repeat it. I was hoping to get that on video before I sent it in. I'd rather they sent a LRHS or something other then the forge.

At this point I'm saving for new glass. Would mind a decent back up or hunting scope..

Reactions: Austinjunks
That KRG came out looking great! I like how you did diagonal lines, it looks sharp

Good work guys. Why not do the barrels?

In my case that Bergara is coming out this summer for a custom build. It'll go back in the factory stock.

Part of it may be most of us change often enough it's not worth painting every time we rebarrel.

This rifle inspired me to do one and I had a big plan to pretty much copy it. I practiced on some black plastic trash cans but once I started the plan went out the window and the rifle became what it wanted to be. I like it more than the plan I had. Lesson is just go for it, you can always sand it and start over if you don’t like it. Key for me was getting the right sponge and getting the hang of how much paint/pressure to put on it to get the desired effect.
View attachment 7219365

Saweet!

I always wonder because of the great camo paint jobs at the stocks, and then the bright shining barrels.

What would you guys do with the barrels if needed?

• Haha
Reactions: SonicBurlap