• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KRG Bravo steel hook style cover plate

archangel485

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2018
WY
I think this is an appropriate place to post this, let me know if somewhere else makes more sense. I know that for only 10 bucks you can buy a plastic cover for the hook area on a KRG Bravo, but I wanted something a little more rigid and, as a natural consequence, heavier. So I grabbed a piece of 1/4" flat bar scrap I had laying around that was painted a vanilla white color previously. Also grabbed my micrometer and went to work at the mill. It's not pretty paint wise, but I will re-paint it eventually. If I had it to do over I would start with a 3/16" piece of flat bar as it doesn't sit down quite flush with the butt of the stock, but all in all it will serve it's purpose and fits all other dimensions very well.

To accomplish the curve portion I simply took some measurements on where the bend started and ended and clamped the piece in a vice and used a hammer to make small bends at various points along that radius. There is probably a more precise way to do this but I couldn't think of it and it got it close enough, although there is a very slight twist in it as a result. If you look at the picture where the plate is installed in the stock, look towards the front of the rifle on the plate, you can see where I used the mill to take the sharp edge off of the plate that there is definitely an angle to that cut.

On the side of the plate that faces into the stock, I drilled a 7/16" hole 200 thousandths deep using a regular twist bit (leaving 50 thousandths for the screw head to rest against on the other side), and then ran a square nose end mill down the same hole to square the bottom of it. This fits very nicely over the stud sticking up from within the stock where the screw threads into. Then in the center of that I drilled a 3/16" hole for the screw itself to drop into. I wobbled this hole out just a tad as the screw is about 5 thousandths diameter more than 3/16".

When it was all said and done the cover itself only ended up at 1/4 lb. but that's probably close to 1/4 pound more than the plastic one is. Additionally it offers the rigidity I was looking for to be able to fill in the voids in the Bravo with various weights and ensure they could be sufficiently clamped in the stock. Between the weights I added under the cover, and the cover itself I added a full pound to the back of my rifle. Was a fun little project, hopefully some of you will find it useful.

20201229_063208.jpg
20201229_063021.jpg
20201229_063159.jpg
20201229_063154.jpg

Attachments

• 20201229_063146.jpg
    20201229_063146.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 25
Great job. What an awesome way to add additional weight to the rear!!!
Thanks! Yes, getting an additional pound in the back was great. I already filled the voids in the stock just in front of the recoil pad and inside the grip, both of which gave me a couple pounds maybe a bit more, so with this modification I have added 3 pounds to the back end of the rifle. I could get an additional 2 pounds by replacing the LOP spacers with the steel ones but I think I'll see how this works out for now.

Nice I like that. I was trying to order a hook cover, but sold out.....maybe I will venture into something like your mod I like it. I put 2 each 6 ounce lead sinkers in the grip after some hammering to shape them and 2 more behind the LOP spacers plus 1 inside the hook/bag rider space for 30 ounces. Next will be to find a way to add some weight to the fore end the the balance point it just right at middle of mag well. Even if I don't do anything else it feels way better than it did. Love the hook cover mod.

Nice I like that. I was trying to order a hook cover, but sold out.....maybe I will venture into something like your mod I like it. I put 2 each 6 ounce lead sinkers in the grip after some hammering to shape them and 2 more behind the LOP spacers plus 1 inside the hook/bag rider space for 30 ounces. Next will be to find a way to add some weight to the fore end the the balance point it just right at middle of mag well. Even if I don't do anything else it feels way better than it did. Love the hook cover mod.

Thanks. Later on I made some weights for the back end as well. There are several guys who made weights in various ways. Here is that thread.

Ha thanks that is the thread I picked up the 6 ounce lead sinker weights idea from! Also going to buy some of the decoy lead weights for the front end after reading about that from southerngolfer apparently they are a perfect fit under plastic fore end. Great info guys thanks....post 38