• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KRG Bravo vs. MC3 Legend vs. Magpul Hunter

westford86

Minuteman
Aug 3, 2010
Anchorage, AK
KRG Bravo - MC3 Legend - Magpul Hunter

Of these three stocks is there one that really stands out from the rest? I got excited about the MC3 and pre ordered one back in November, but now that it has arrived I'm just not convinced it's an upgrade from my Magpul Hunter. I should note that there is nothing necessarily wrong with my Magpul stock, I just hate the grip angle and think it's ugly. I do like the feel of the MC3 stock, ergonomically it's basically the same as a McMillan A3-5, however the "bottom metal" feels like a happy meal toy and it didn't even come with hardware. I am also no expert on bedding stocks and knowing what's best, so the aluminum block in the Magpul vs. straight plastic with the MC3, you tell me...

The third option in the $300ish price bracket that I was unaware of until yesterday (just got back from living overseas and paid no attention to firearms for a while) is the KRG Bravo. Going through the lengthy KRG Bravo thread it seems that people are pretty happy with them. I like the steep grip angle, adjustable cheek piece, DBM, aluminum "backbone" as they call it (is that good?), and the m-lok slots for attachments. It seems to have a lot more going for it in terms of features and accessories for basically the same price point.

Only having hands on experience with two of the three, so I'd be curious to read what others think is the best of the bunch.

While I cannot speak for the MC3, I have shot a rifle with the Magpul Hunter and didn't care for it (grip and length of pull). As for the Bravo, while I don't personally own one I have fondled one and I really liked it. I think you would be hard pressed for the price to beat it.

Also... take a look around at some of the rifles here. Custom barreled action, high end optics, and a lot of them are sitting in the KRG Bravo.

I'm sure others can provide more who personally own the Bravo.

Personally like the bravo much better than the magpul. Never touched a mc3. My current set up is in a bravo chassis.
It fits me well and there are tons of options to make it more comfortable minus the cheek piece. That’s my only complaint on the chassis. To me it’s flimsy and not comfortable. The mechanism isn’t great but it also isn’t terrible for adjusting it. Also with the bravo you can change out the running gear and make it into a whiskey 3 they share the same back bone. So later on if you want a whiskey stock it’s doable. Same with fore end all the options they sell fit.

Bravo is pretty popular, but make sure you account for mag cost with it. I don't know if you were already doing that with the magpul as well or not, but when I put a Bravo and one mag in my cart and added shipping, it was basically at the $500 mark. For $100 more, I ended up with a Manners T4a, which I felt was very superior to the other options I had been considering. I've had the Manners for not quite a year and I love it.

But in all likelihood, you'll like the Bravo if you go that route. Most folks do. Just wanted you to be aware of all the costs.

Bravo is pretty popular, but make sure you account for mag cost with it. I don't know if you were already doing that with the magpul as well or not, but when I put a Bravo and one mag in my cart and added shipping, it was basically at the $500 mark. For $100 more, I ended up with a Manners T4a, which I felt was very superior to the other options I had been considering. I've had the Manners for not quite a year and I love it.

But in all likelihood, you'll like the Bravo if you go that route. Most folks do. Just wanted you to be aware of all the costs.

The Brvo takes AICS mags, does it not? If so I am not worried about mag cost, I already have AICS mags...

The Brvo takes AICS mags, does it not? If so I am not worried about mag cost, I already have AICS mags...
Correct it takes aics pattern mags and if your receiver has a aw cut you can get the extended mag catch and fit it to accept aics aw style mags as an added bonus

Should be set then. I only had Tikka CTR stuff, so it was a major cost delta for me. Glad it's not for you.

Yup, I got a great deal on some MDT mags a while back so I stocked up....

No to derail my own thread, but I am curious to know where you got a Manners T4a for $600? Was that used or new, and did it have DBM?

I've always wanted a Manners, but I can never justify the cost when all my bolt guns are pretty middle of the road... I really want their carbon folder for my 12" 45 Raptor SBR, but the stock cost as much as the build with the stamp.

@westford86 im not sure where in vt you are but next time I’m up in Bristol nh at the lake you are welcome to meet up with me and handle the bravo

Yup, I got a great deal on some MDT mags a while back so I stocked up....

No to derail my own thread, but I am curious to know where you got a Manners T4a for $600? Was that used or new, and did it have DBM?

I've always wanted a Manners, but I can never justify the cost when all my bolt guns are pretty middle of the road... I really want their carbon folder for my 12" 45 Raptor SBR, but the stock cost as much as the build with the stamp.
PM sent

I bought a Tikka CTR .308 because I lack impulse control and I’m Finn curious. I liked the Bravo enough to get one for the Tikka. I’m seriously digging the Bravo on the Tikka.

Hi,

STOP copy and pasting other peoples post from other forums....
I have tagged the original author of that post for your convenience.
@SPDSNYPR

Sincerely,
Theis

====================================================
From Lightfighter
SPDSNYPR
10/23/185:41 PM
Dear diary,
I bought a Tikka CTR .308 because I lack impulse control and I’m Finn curious. I liked the Bravo enough to get one for the Tikka. I’m seriously digging the Bravo on the Tikka.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's easy to make assumptions about puppies strapped to missiles, but good science requires research.

To get the thread back on track...

After having not shot my Rem 700 for nearly two years I put together some 175gn SMK loads and got it the range Friday and was averaging .5 MOA with one .35 MOA 5-shot group. So I don't think the Magpul stock is holding me back, but it definitely still isn't comfortable.

I hate to ask such as seemingly novice question, but in the days of free floated everything, composite stocks and aluminium bedding blocks, is moving from one modern stock to another really going to make any difference with accuracy? It seems like there is a lot more love for the KRG than the Magpul and I'd have to assume if there was any degradation in shooting performance from either when mating an action up to one people would be up in arms... In the world of modern stocks and chassis what's really going to matter more, performance in terms of stiffness or the ergonomics? I am leaning towards "performance" being more of a universal given these days and ergonomics being the more personally important factor.

I’ve had 2 different Mcmillan’s and a Manners T4A, right now I’m using Bravos w/ Whiskey fore-ends, (which allows you a beefy flat surface to ride bags and attach Arca rails)on both my rifles and I like them a lot- I don’t have any experience with the MC3 or Magpul Hunter tho

The Bravo is the best option at the $350 price point, but for the most part you get what you pay for. Only the backbone is aluminum. Almost everything else is polymer.

Add a spigot and a W3 forend and you're getting close to Manners prices.

Ive got the Magpul and the Bravo. As mentioned earlier, there is no difference in terms of performance/accuracy. Just like there is no real performance difference between a base model Toyota Camry, and a premium Toyota Camry. It pretty much comes down to feel, aesthetics, and smaller subjective features.
For me, the Bravo easily takes the cake and is EASILY worth the slight price hike over the Magpul. The Bravo feels better in my hands, especially in prone, it looks better, and as far as features go, I liked the fact that I can upgrade it with higher end KRG components whenever I want/my budget allows.
Just note that the Bravo doesn't allow for trigger hangers. I learned that the hard way lol.
The Oryx chassis mentioned above looks like another cool option though! Especially if you like AR style grips.

While I don’t have any experience with the MC3. Not a huge fan of the Magpul but I really like the Bravo. It’s a base model $350 stock/chassis. With the addition of a lot of KRG support for the Bravo, it also has the ability to be a $700 + setup. Not at all would I consider it “putting lipstick on a pig” if you did so. (Spigot, adjustable butt plate, enclosed forend, arca Swiss rail,etc) I like it so much that it’s what I have on my hunting rifle. I give it ????

I was going to go the bravo route, but lucked out with a great deal on an X-ray. I played with a bravo once and really liked the way it felt even when compared to the X-ray.

I think the best thing about the bravo is the accessories options it opens up and the modularity you get. You can very easily set it up however you want and cherry pick the features you want without paying for ones you don't. KRG seems to be really keyed in to what people want and are making some great stuff.

Reactions: westford86
In that price range, I would look long and hard at a Grayboe Renegade. It has the A5 profile, and is a very sturdy stock. Plus you can get them with bottom metal (not polymer) for about $400. It just lacks an adjustable cheekpiece.

In that price range, I would look long and hard at a Grayboe Renegade. It has the A5 profile, and is a very sturdy stock. Plus you can get them with bottom metal (not polymer) for about $400. It just lacks an adjustable cheekpiece.

Grayboe does look like a good option for the classic A5 profile. Their stocks do look a lot like the MC3 offerings, aluminum pillar molded in and profile, etc... I do like that their DBM is actually metal and that they have way more finish options.

An adjustable cheekpiece isn't something I get all that excited about anyway, I would probably buy a KRG without one if it was an option, just because the adjustable cheekpiece seems to be everyone's #1 complaint.

Last edited:
So, I got one the Greyboe stocks and I was not impressed. I already returned it, but the molding in the inlet was really sloppy and the paint was super thick and lumpy, you couldn't even tell there were aluminum pillars. Luckily Red Hawk Rifles has good CS and took it back. Apparently they have had a few other customers having issues with sloppy stocks that slipped through Greyboe QC.

It's too bad, because their DBM did look good. If only there was a best of both worlds, the quality of the MC3 stock and the quality Greyboe DBM for $400...

I guess I just need to order one of the KRG Bravo stocks.