• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KRG Bravo vs Oryx

Shawn1492

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
Colorado
Does anyone have experience with both chassis. Looking at a do all rifle hunting/target in 6.5 PRC. Hunting is only a few days a year target practice is once a week. Which one would you go with for a semi custom Rem 700 build and why? Thanks.

Oryx is less than a year old, know nobody with one to be honest, except perhaps someone who owns the Howa. With regards the krg bravo best bang for the buck with regards chassis imho. But I was always say what fits you or me may not fit him. Have the parts for a 6.5 Sherman short build myself, its going to a krg bravo part time when I need to use a mag, otherwise it going in a carbonfiber Ibex stock by Benchmark barrels

Reactions: SonicBurlap
The Oryx and the Bravo are fairly similar in price and functionality, but it kinda comes back down to whether or not you want a chassis or a stock. You can custom tailor both options to your shooting style and fit both of them to your body type, but if you prefer the ergonomics of a pistol grip to the fixed angle/shape of a stock, then go with the Oryx :) Best bet is to try and get some time with both and see which one works for you! We do offer a 30 day, money back guarantee so that you can try the oryx, shoot it and ship it back to us if you find that you prefer the Bravo!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Josh

I have both. The KRG is lighter in weight, much lighter. Plastic/polymer stock with alum bedding block. The Oryx is a tank. Alum with plastic panels. Both work, depends on what you are going to do with the rifle. Hunting rifle to carry, KRG BRAVO hands down. PRS, blind hunting, sitting on a mountain, or a ridge, the Oryx.
JMHO.

The Oryx and the Bravo are fairly similar in price and functionality, but it kinda comes back down to whether or not you want a chassis or a stock. You can custom tailor both options to your shooting style and fit both of them to your body type, but if you prefer the ergonomics of a pistol grip to the fixed angle/shape of a stock, then go with the Oryx :) Best bet is to try and get some time with both and see which one works for you! We do offer a 30 day, money back guarantee so that you can try the oryx, shoot it and ship it back to us if you find that you prefer the Bravo!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Josh
Word. Didn’t make the decision much easier though. I feel like either one will be an ok choice.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
Word. Didn’t make the decision much easier though. I feel like either one will be an ok choice.
If you like plastic, get the Bravo. It has a plastic stock, plastic triggerguard, plastic mag release, with a small aluminum back one. It is more modular.

If you like a solid built aluminum chassis get the orynx.

Reactions: BabypoopFAL
The KRG Bravo also sports a vertical pistol grip, integrated into the buttstock, but present and with thumbshelf nonetheless, while the Oryx has an angled M16 style pistol grip; personally I prefer the vertical grip on the Bravo for comfort. That is subjective however and up to individual preference, just like the palm swell is either to someone's liking, or it is not but to claim the Bravo has no pistol grip is misleading.

Reactions: Joeydias3
I have a Bravo on a Remington 700 SA. It’s a great value at the price point, durable and very upgradable through KRG. I haven’t seen an Oryx in person, but it also appears to be a solid offering at the price point. Chassis versus stock style comes down to preference - I don’t think you can go wrong either place.

I have a Tikka T3x in a Bravo stock and it is a big improvement over to OEM plastic stock that came on the CTR
92726DE3-938A-40E1-86B3-079CE6CD2A56.jpeg
6D52B06A-17C5-4372-B203-1ECAEB9CE3F5.jpeg
0A82A6C6-AA9B-46E4-9D69-E9662DE38DA1.jpeg
1CF506B7-3962-4E12-BF51-06DE237CE507.jpeg
0A82A6C6-AA9B-46E4-9D69-E9662DE38DA1.jpeg
1CF506B7-3962-4E12-BF51-06DE237CE507.jpeg

ETA - Cleaned up the duplicate photos

Last edited:
The KRG Bravo also sports a vertical pistol grip, integrated into the buttstock, but present and with thumbshelf nonetheless, while the Oryx has an angled M16 style pistol grip; personally I prefer the vertical grip on the Bravo for comfort. That is subjective however and up to individual preference, just like the palm swell is either to someone's liking, or it is not but to claim the Bravo has no pistol grip is misleading.

Note: the Oryx is AR-15 grip compatible, so you can replace the MDT Pistol Grip with any grip you like on the market or also our MDT Vertical Grip!

Josh

D
Note: the Oryx is AR-15 grip compatible, so you can replace the MDT Pistol Grip with any grip you like on the market or also our MDT Vertical Grip!

Josh
Did not dispute that the Oryx has an AR15 (M16 family of rifles) exchangeable grip, only that you characterized the KRG Bravo as not having a pistol grip which is incorrect, it does not have an exchangeable pistol grip but as I already stated a pistol grip integral to the buttstock.
The Oryx is a valid budget choice in its own right it all boils down to preference, feel, and looks; the exchangeable grip is a plus the Oryx has but there is no need to negate any of the KRG's features to make your point.
It was just unintentionally badly worded "... but if you prefer the ergonomics of a pistol grip to the fixed angle/shape of a stock, then go with the Oryx." Which was misleading. As I said both great options, the only question is which look, feel one prefers and whether you want an exchangeable pistol grip, or a permanent integral pistol grip, that's all.

I have two of each and really like them
both very much. They are different but I can’t really say one is better than the other.
I did replace the grip
Of the Oryx to a vertical grip. That did make the two even more similar. The Bravo does have quite a few add ons from KRG but not all of us need those.

Sorry I can’t say one is better than the other, both are great and the price is great on them both.

I’ve had both. They are both excellent values. I agree with most of the comments above, it really comes down to if you prefer a stock or chassis type feel and if you prefer more exposed metal. I think the Bravo is a little more modular, but the Oryx is more solid. Not that the Bravo isn’t solid, but it’s not a single piece of aluminum like the Oryx.

I just moved my REM 700 Tactical 6.5 Krieger barrel from the BC stock into a Bravo. Shot these 10 shots this morning. I have read many times the Bravo is great especially for the money. The Bravo isn't cheap, they designed it without the extras. I like that I can add what I want. When I got it like I wanted, it was not inexpensive.

Attachments

• IMG_20191202_103806.jpg
    IMG_20191202_103806.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 227
I’ve had both. They are both excellent values. I agree with most of the comments above, it really comes down to if you prefer a stock or chassis type feel and if you prefer more exposed metal. I think the Bravo is a little more modular, but the Oryx is more solid. Not that the Bravo isn’t solid, but it’s not a single piece of aluminum like the Oryx.
I also have had both, both are great options. I decided to keep the Bravo because the palm swell fits me perfectly and I've been through several different chassis. I know what you mean in regards to not one piece of aluminum, but the aluminum backbone that accommodates the action and channels the barrel, which is the part that really matters, is one single piece. All of these are moot points, both are great values, both have proven themselves, both are customizable, both have pistol grips, one permanent, one exchangeable, the question is what look and feel one wants, and how much aluminum depending on where one uses their rifle, if it's hot, or cold, or more temperate.
I like both but I can't say one beats the other in any way except for my personal preference because of the size of the pistol grip palm swell on the Bravo, which is subjective and someone with different size hands will disagree with me.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
D

Did not dispute that the Oryx has an AR15 (M16 family of rifles) exchangeable grip, only that you characterized the KRG Bravo as not having a pistol grip which is incorrect, it does not have an exchangeable pistol grip but as I already stated a pistol grip integral to the buttstock.
The Oryx is a valid budget choice in its own right it all boils down to preference, feel, and looks; the exchangeable grip is a plus the Oryx has but there is no need to negate any of the KRG's features to make your point.
It was just unintentionally badly worded "... but if you prefer the ergonomics of a pistol grip to the fixed angle/shape of a stock, then go with the Oryx." Which was misleading. As I said both great options, the only question is which look, feel one prefers and whether you want an exchangeable pistol grip, or a permanent integral pistol grip, that's all.

Fair enough and I wasn't trying to argue :) You are correct that they both have grips, which are, in my opinion, the hardest part of design to get right. If the BRavo grip/palm swell works for your hand then that's great!

Again, not trying to start a fight, I was just pointing out the fact that you can interchange the pistol grip on the Oryx to suit your liking :)

Josh

Not to nitpick, but the M16 is a member of the AR-15 family and not the other way around, given that the AR-15 came first...
You are right, yet technically even that is incorrect since the AR-15 in 1957 resulted out of a re-scaling of Stoner's original AR-10 design of 1956 (chicken, hen anyone, boring conversations). My objection was to a chassis feature for a bolt action chassis being called missing when it wasn't, not to naming conventions; that said again you are right, we go by popularity when we refer to Stoner's designs.

Reactions: DMP and phlegethon
I have quite a bit of time behind both ( over 500 rounds on each ) I would definitely say I prefer the ORYX in almost every situation. When I pick it up the rigidness and robustness just make me smile. In shooting the recoil seem to be in a straighter line. The only situation where I would favor the bravo over the ORYX is in the extreme cold as the Bravo doesn't have as much exposed metal. Feel free to PM with any specific questions.

MH

I'd like to see more pics of the Oryx, more build pics. I'm glad this subject came up. I'm really liking the look of the Oryx, it just looks great. And the price is a huge plus for me.

I would just wait and see what the new MDT chassis is that they are announcing at SHOT.

Sounds like it's suppose to compete with the KRG Bravo and Cadex Strike Nuke.

If I had to choose between Oryx and Bravo I would pick the Bravo. But I think it would be worthwhile to wait and see what their new chassis is.

Bought a bravo for one rifle and ended up getting a second for another rifle
They are comfortable to use.
And light to. I was surprised that is so light and maneuverable. I really wanted a traditional stock like an a5 type as I don’t like chassis, I was forced to get the bravo and was extremely pleased with it. It exceeded my expectations 2x over.

The only things I don’t like on the bravo is the plastic triggerguard and the flimsy mag release with plastic tabs. Even if the price would bump $50 i bet they would still sell if they upgraded these areas.

Now that they released one that takes ctr mags I will probably get one coming anyhow.

The only things I don’t like on the bravo is the plastic triggerguard and the flimsy mag release with plastic tabs. Even if the price would bump $50 i bet they would still sell if they upgraded these areas.

Now that they released one that takes ctr mags I will probably get one coming anyhow.

KRG does make metal replacement parts for those components if you do want to swap them out.

I changed out the mag release for a metal one one my wife's KRG Bravo, but have so far left the trigger guard alone.

Reactions: wade2big
I'd be watching for the new MDT stock.

But between the two that we know about I'd choose the Bravo. I like having a thumb shelf and a fore end that will accept arca rails. Also the minimalist spigot makes for a decent prone option putting the bipod out there a ways if that's what you're into....

Doesnt look like they sell the W3 stock alone anymore but that was a good upgrade path. Dont know if they were looking money on that one.

I'd be watching for the new MDT stock.

But between the two that we know about I'd choose the Bravo. I like having a thumb shelf and a fore end that will accept arca rails. Also the minimalist spigot makes for a decent prone option putting the bipod out there a ways if that's what you're into....

Doesnt look like they sell the W3 stock alone anymore but that was a good upgrade path. Dont know if they were looking money on that one.

I think that's because all the chassis now come standard with the W3 inlet, so you don't need to upgrade.

I think that's because all the chassis now come standard with the W3 inlet, so you don't need to upgrade.

The back bone only extends to the grip, right? I'd imagine it's because it brings the bravo up to par with the W3 with exception to the fore end for a bit less. I think it was $350 +/-

Apparently all the newer ones come with plastic shit per KRG website

They have for a long time. $60 gets you aluminum ones.

It's cheap for a reason. You'll pay for every single upgrade. However, they do have every single upgrade.

I love the fact that they made their design modular beyond "you can add an arca rail". Let's you grow into and try things with an affordable entry. You can add the x-Ray or whiskey backend if you want later. Spigot, rail, bottom metal, extended or compact mag release, etc.

I like the plastic, it's cold here. I'll grab a oryx for my Savage to punch prairie dogs in the summer. The year round rifles get Bravo's.

@Jackomason Actually the aluminum "spine runs full length from the forend to the butt of the stock" Think of it as a full tang fixed blade knife. I think this is one of the reasons it feels so rigid.

You guys looking for an affordable chassis should look at this also. Adjustable cheek piece and LOP. Butt pad also adjusts for height and cant. QD swivel sockets, Mlok forend so you can add an Arca rail.

Last edited:
I have a Tikka in an Oryx, I love it. I haven't had my hands on the KRG Bravo but I don't regret buying the Oryx at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20190627_221943 (1).jpg
    IMG_20190627_221943 (1).jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 506
Reactions: 223Pete
This may be a dumb question. I am pretty new. I live in Vegas (Henderson). A number of people have mentioned preferring teh Bravo in very cold climates because there is less exposed metal. I have teh opposite issue.

When it's 115 degrees here, will one be better than the other?

Thanks!

This may be a dumb question. I am pretty new. I live in Vegas (Henderson). A number of people have mentioned preferring teh Bravo in very cold climates because there is less exposed metal. I have teh opposite issue.

Thanks!
Heat transfer is heat transfer. So yes the same concept applies.

Thanks!
There is about the same amount of exposed metal on both chassis, so either way shouldn't be an issue :) I can say that shooting a black XRS up here in Canada during the summer months (105 DegF peak), there was nothing on the chassis that was uncomfortable about it.

- Josh