• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KRG enclosed forend on TRG

CerebralDistortion

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2017
All right.

KRG does not sell an enclosed forend specific for the TRG. I've mailed KRG asking if any other could be modified to fit and they said "No".

In the voice of Jeremy Clarkson:
-"How hard could it be?!"

Anyone here thought the same thing and done something about it?

It will take three months for me to order one with no possibility to return, so I'd rather see if someone already done it.

I have thought the same thing. If you have access to a machine shop it’s probably possible. Would have to drill and tap mounting holes in the trg backbone since the krg uses 4 mounting holes along the edges and the trg uses 2 along the center. You would also have to modify the mag well. I’m also not sure about the width of the backbone.

Reactions: CerebralDistortion
I have thought the same thing. If you have access to a machine shop it’s probably possible. Would have to drill and tap mounting holes in the trg backbone since the krg uses 4 mounting holes along the edges and the trg uses 2 along the center. You would also have to modify the mag well. I’m also not sure about the width of the backbone.
The backbone is fairly close in dimensions, a TRG bipod fits in the KRG backbone.

The TRG uses mounting blocks with holes in the centre, the KRG at the edges (I think). I would modify the blocks from the TRG.

The mag well is a given.

What worries me is choosing a model that doesn't require the least amount of work. Keeping it as stock as possible is a goal in itself...

So I pulled my trg and my tikka bravo apart. The bravo forend physically fits on the trg backbone once you remove the front magazine “guide or support” on the trg. I circled it in the below picture.

My thoughts were that you would be able to drill and tap the trg backbone to match the krg backbone/forend but it appears the trg backbone is very thin in those areas so that would not work. I measured .120” for the trg and the krg backbone on my tikka is around .290 where it’s threaded.

So next option would be mount the krg forend in the center using the trg mounting blocks. This could work but atleast the plastic forend I have had mlok slots down the center and the back side is recessed for the mlok threaded inserts leaving only .1” of material. You could throw a bolt and washer to spread the load and be able to crank it down but would be ugly. If you use the krg arca rail it already has holes drilled and counter sunk down the center so you could move and adjust the trg mounting blocks to line up with 2 of those holes and make it work.

Last option, just buy the krg whiskey 3 chassis for the trg. Then in theory the enclosed forend would mount right up and all you would have to do in theory is machine out the magwell to match the trg mag. Obviously call and verify with KRG that the whiskey chassis for the trg uses the same forend mounting pattern.

Hope some of that is useful for you.

I ended up going the vision route. I wanted the built in arca and barricade stop as well as the extended forend.

Attachments

• F74A5B82-1AF4-432D-A3C2-8AC6EFC7B521.jpeg
    F74A5B82-1AF4-432D-A3C2-8AC6EFC7B521.jpeg
    617 KB · Views: 74
  • AE3D7542-5D25-47FD-A74D-8E7457C9B694.jpeg
    AE3D7542-5D25-47FD-A74D-8E7457C9B694.jpeg
    739 KB · Views: 69
  • 77981FB1-EF38-41AB-BB82-625D8946C169.jpeg
    77981FB1-EF38-41AB-BB82-625D8946C169.jpeg
    452.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 348D0AB1-3B3C-413B-9D2F-658F862D25BF.jpeg
    348D0AB1-3B3C-413B-9D2F-658F862D25BF.jpeg
    636.2 KB · Views: 69
  • E1BADE3A-3886-41ED-B824-2793D30B91A9.jpeg
    E1BADE3A-3886-41ED-B824-2793D30B91A9.jpeg
    494.4 KB · Views: 75
Thank you! Really useful!

What I was most worried about was if there are any interference between the enclosed forend and TRG backbone. If there is none, then milling a couple of aluminium blocks (like the pieces circled in blue) but with better fit and more material for more holes would be simple.

I've got the KRG folder. Seems wasteful to buy a complete chassis and then buying a forend too... :)
If the SOTIC just were not so darn expensive over here. About $8800 including taxes and import fees if I calculated correctly.

Very appreciated, thank you again!