• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Krieger Barrel Care

BradleyH

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2013
Casey, Illinois
Hi guys, first off I am new to the forum. I have shot "long" (850 yards) range a few times but I am by no means an expert in shooting.

So after doing this I caught the LR virus, I then decided to buy a surgeon 300 win mag with the krieger barrel. Yes I know some may tell me this is not smart and I should have bought a different rifle first to learn on, but I figured buy a nice rifle now and not drool all over one later.

Which brings me to my question.

About a month ago I put Otis ultrabore in my barrel because I knew I would not be able to shoot for a while. I placed a few drops on a patch and swabbed the barrel with it. Then placed the rifle in the safe and have not touched it since. Did i make a rookie mistake by putting CLR in the barrel? or possible harm the bore of the barrel?

Any input would be appreciated,

Thanks!
Heath

I have a custom 300winmag with a Krieger barrel. My best advice to you is:

1: Get a bore guide from Sinclair International. One of the plastic white ones is all you need.

2: Buy Butches Bore Shine

3. Get a Dewey cleaning rod, jag, and brush for your caliber

This is all you need to clean and take care of any precision barrel. Butches will clean out carbon, copper, and all sorts of nastiness. Its gentle enough that you can let it soak and not harm your barrel. If the gun is going to sit for an extended period of time I would clean it out with Butches until the patches come out clean, and maybe run a moist patch of FP10 through it.

Last edited:
Yes your barrel is ruined. The lands are probably eaten away LOL

You are fine. Run a couple dry patches down it and shoot. You can use some alcohol but not needed. Take Jig's advice as well.

Hoppes #9 works very well and its cheaper than Butchs, ive got both and Ill buy another big bottle of #9 when it runs low. After cleaning I run a patch of Kroil, then Militec-1 for seasoning.

image.jpg sorry for the blurred pic but it was as clear as I could get to something so close. I finally made it back and was able to look at my rifle. My suspicions were confirmed. At least I don't think that's how it should look. It appeared as rust be could it be something else? Oh and this rifle is unfired, I do not know if this makes a difference or not

It looks like copper fouling to me ? Rust wouldn't be that even or just in the lands I would think.

The builder most likely test fired and lightly cleaned the bore . When you put CLP in there it may have lifted some more copper out of the bore ?

The builder most likely test fired and lightly cleaned the bore . When you put CLP in there it may have lifted some more copper out of the bore ?
it was built by surgeon. When I first received the rifle it has a residue in the bore. I ran a boresnake through it to clean the residue. Does anyone know if surgeon puts anything in the barrel? Or even krieger?

They put a cartridge in the bore? I'm confused... I thought the bullet went through the bore...

Anyway, follow Jig Stick's directions and run a brush down the bore a couple of times. I doubt the proof firing left that amount of copper in there and last I checked powder residue was not orange/rust colored.

If it is a bit of rust, it can be removed with a brush and some gun oil, or just shoot it.

I bet that is from the test firing and the OP said that he used a bore snake to remove the residue that the rifle came with.

A couple comments:
- Just do what the guys said, get a bore guide, a Dewey or other coated rod, a good bore cleaner like Butch's, GM Top Engine Cleaner, Shooter's Choice, etc and a couple nylon brushes. Never, EVER use a stainless brush. Clean the barrel and do a break in.
- To break it in, read http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Break_In__Cleaning-c1246-wp2558.htm
- Unless you are a masochist, put a muzzle brake or can on that thing!

Hi guys, first off I am new to the forum. I have shot "long" (850 yards) range a few times but I am by no means an expert in shooting.

So after doing this I caught the LR virus, I then decided to buy a surgeon 300 win mag with the krieger barrel. Yes I know some may tell me this is not smart and I should have bought a different rifle first to learn on, but I figured buy a nice rifle now and not drool all over one later.

Which brings me to my question.

About a month ago I put Otis ultrabore in my barrel because I knew I would not be able to shoot for a while. I placed a few drops on a patch and swabbed the barrel with it. Then placed the rifle in the safe and have not touched it since. Did i make a rookie mistake by putting CLR in the barrel? or possible harm the bore of the barrel?

Any input would be appreciated,

Thanks!
Heath

Stainless of CM? It really is best to talk to [email protected], and ask their views on this one. Good barrels, good support. I use Kriegers all the time.

Last edited: