• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Krieger barrel total cost

Mike0341

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2012
Houston Texas
i was looking at Kriegers website just to see what the cost would be for the day when i decide to put a new barrel on my R700. i went through the list and added up the cost of the barrel, the cost of installing my brake, and other options from the looks of it are whats needed for them to install it on my action (i think they install it to the action but not sure).

anyway i aded up the costs

310 for barrel
install brake 125
install/chamber barrel 270
over sized lug 40
lvl 1 truing 100 (why call it lvl 1 if there is not a lvl 2 lol)
bead blast 45

does this sound right or am i missing something? also would it be better to just order the barrel and then send it to a smith who will blueprint the rifle as well?

if this is roughly the cost then i may just buy another action and start a project up after i buy my wires rifle.

Re: Krieger barrel total cost

The prices are in line with most of what I have been seeing. I'd send it all to the smith and have it all done at once. That and personally I'm reluctant to put my accuarcy guarantee on something that I haven't done all the work on and I'm sure other smithes would agree!

so just get the barrel and have it threaded for an action or just order a barrel on its own and then have the smith do the work to put it all together? if i sent an action to krieger wouldn't they put it it on the action? i would hope if they make high end barrels that they are more than qualified to install the barrels the make. I'm going to have to do a lot more research if i plan to put a krieger together it seems. i don't like to just throw 1k around and hope for the best.

Looks right.

Short Action Customs out of Ohio has a very similar package as your list. Look 'em up, they are highly recommended on the hide.

thanks will do. most likely from what it will cost and how long ill be out of a rifle ill just go picked up a used 700 from somewhere and use that rifle. I've heard good things about scout supply company as well from the hide and may send my rifle to him to have a bit of work done just to keep it consistent

You could just send it to the Smith of your choosing and they sometimes (depends on who you get and what contour you want) has barrels on hand so you don't even have to do anything except ship your rifle. If they don't have what you want they will order what you want.

I also recommend Mark at SAC he has my Sako right now getting ready to rebarrel it into a .260. He is a great guy to deal with.

Semper Fi Scott.

thanks for the info. from what it looks like i think it would be better to buy another rifle and have it built around the action i want. so yea i will definitely be researching this a lot more now that i have a rough estimate on costs

Semper Fi brother

I also recommend APA they did my .308 and did a outstanding job also. There are a lot of good smiths here on the Hide (SAC, APA, Spartan Precision Rifles, BlackOps Precision ect). I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Its hard to decide who to go with. It literally took me 6 months to decide who to send it too, what can I say my rifles are like my kids and want to make sure there in good hands. My wife says I love my rifles more then I do her, I have no comment on that LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Semper Fi brother

I also recommend APA they did my .308 and did a outstanding job also. There are a lot of good smiths here on the Hide (SAC, APA, Spartan Precision Rifles, BlackOps Precision ect). I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Its hard to decide who to go with. It literally took me 6 months to decide who to send it too, what can I say my rifles are like my kids and want to make sure there in good hands. My wife says I love my rifles more then I do her, I have no comment on that LOL. </div></div>

yea my wife says the same thing. i saw a few packages from a few different smiths and they range from 350-700 for reworking your stock rifle. I'm not too sure how i feel about that since i could get better results with a krieger barrel and a chunk of change more money than the 700 packages that use my factory barrel. I definitely want to find ways to make my current rifle more accurate and i think ill be using scout supply company for that since they are only an hour away.

the krieger will most likely be for when i build my 300 win mag

My Krieger 7mm shoots awesome, I know several smiths who use primarily Krieger. Not saying others aren't good...