• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Krieger barrel twist rate markings????

dondlhmn

RLO
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2013
Reno, NV, USA for now
I also posted this on the gun smithing part of SH, but thought I'd put it here, too. Maybe some of you have been down this rifle build road and ahve some experience with this...

I've got a 6.5mm Krieger rifled blank that is stamped on the butt end with the rifling land diameter, the rifling groove diameter, the letters "SS" , the brand "Krieger" and what is definitely an "8"....not eight POINT anything...no 8.25, no 8.5 no 8.ANYTHING, but this barrel is what they sent me when I ordered a 8.5 twist. So...how finely does Krieger measure and mard the twist on the butt end (chamber end) of their rifled barrel blanks? I do not have any experience with this barrel marking thing with barrels from Krieger, yet my 'smith says the barrel is definitely STAMPED as if it were a 1 turn in 8 inch twist. I have pretty carefully checked the barrel's twist rate and it appears to me and others that have looked at it to be somewhat over an 8, but not a 8.5 twist.....more like 8.28 or there abouts.

So...my question to all of you is: What is the interval with which Krieger marks their barrels? Do they get as accurate as a tenth of an inch? Half an inch? A quarter of an inch? Would the twist be quite accurately measured and accurately stamped on the butt end down to a tenth of an inch? Or is it just kind of close?

I really want to hear what experiences/knowledge any of you have with this. Please either PM me or reply to me at [email protected].

THANKS A BUNCH!!!

Have had several barrels (blanks, including a few on hand currently), including some from Krieger. If you have checked it and thus know that it is a 1 in 8 (or thereabouts), then don't sweat it.........put it to use.

If it was a slower twist than I'd ordered, I might consider returning it.

But not if it's that close to what I asked for (and IMO a little faster twist is better so yours sounds fine to me).