• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Krieger Barrels(ar-15)

diver9

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2011
Im looking to put together my first ar-15 and want to know if anyone has any experience with krieger barrels? what are some other options? noveske? oak? just looking for input here.

Re: Krieger Barrels(ar-15)

WOW--wish my 1st AR was so awesome--took me 6yrs and lots of builds before I was even aware of these top tier barrrels

You cannot go wrong with any of those barrels!

My first and only AR started as a DPMS w/ bull barrel, but eventually morphed into a full on bench queen. In addition to the 24" Krieger barrel, it had a Jewell trigger, 24x Leupold, custom gas block, etc...

I won't say it was typical in that ever AR built the same would shoot as accurately, but it was not uncommon to shoot under 1/4 MOA at 100 yards with handloaded 52g Sierra MatchKings. At 250 yards (range length), 69g Sierra MatchKings would still shoot just over 1/4 MOA. At 200 yards and no wind, you could drill holes in standing (taped) quarters all day long. Dimes were doable to, but they tended to fly away on the initial hit and were difficult to find. The caveat to all of this is that such precision only came with fanatical loading techniques (everything was mic'd, trimmed, reamed, measured and spaced) that took a lot of the fun out of just going out and plinking down targets.

Like a dummy, I sold it not long after its debut at a local range contest. Judging by the number of offers to buy (mostly after it was sold), I was not the only one impressed by it. I doubt if I would be so fortunate to get another one as accurate even if I tried.

Krieger makes a pretty awesome barrel. My old Knights SR15 Match came with a 20", 1-7.7" twist tube, it shot well and was a breeze to clean.

If I were building another varmint AR I wouldn't have any issue giving them a call.

Have a Krieger 1.7-7 on my Compass Lake Service Rifle and just got their M110 1-11 for my 308AR. Love Krieger barrels.

I have one on my LR308 and I really like it. .5 MOA if I do my part.

I have the DCM krieger barrel for my AR-15 1:7.7 , Had no issues with it still trying to work up a tac load for it. With 24 grns of Varget, LC brass, 77 SMK, 5 shot groups at 100yds is less than a 1/2moa. However with tac I do not get as good or as consistent results as varget, however it groups inside of 1 moa. Shooting rimfire through the barrel, it groups 10 shoots with in 1 inch at 25yds. Which isn't great but I was surprised that I could shoot 40 grn .22 ammo with the 1:7.7 twist and get decent results. I do get a lot of looks when my groups at 300yds are smaller than most hunters are getting at 100yds with their magnum caliber bolt rifles.

Also note that mine was chambered .223 wylde.

thanks for all the help guys! i really like the nights armament sr-15 e3 but have heard that the accuracy isnt to great ( around 1.25-1.5 MOA) at the best. would a krieger barrel swap right out for the sr-15 or would i need to send it away.

I've got one in a 24" bull barrel, 1 in 14 twist on my varmit upper & if I told you how good it shoots you would call BS!

I just built a rifle using a Krieger 20", once I got everything dialed in, it shoots ~.5-.725 MOA if I don't screw anything up.

I would recommend them as I will buying another for my next build.

Hope that helps.

feel free to upload some pictures of your rigs with the krieger barrels and more importantly some pictures of how they shoot
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW--wish my 1st AR was so awesome--took me 6yrs and lots of builds before I was even aware of these top tier barrrels

You cannot go wrong with any of those barrels! </div></div>

yeah ive been saving for a while and would rather 1 good one rather then a couple not so good ones
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diver9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">feel free to upload some pictures of your rigs with the krieger barrels and more importantly some pictures of how they shoot
grin.gif
. </div></div>

4-6download009.jpg
6ARturbo40º - 26" Kreiger .236 Bore 8-twist Heavy Varmint comtour
6TurboB105VLD3-30-11.jpg
Two five-shot groups of 105Gr Berger VLDs over Varget. Does this all day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killshot44</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diver9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">feel free to upload some pictures of your rigs with the krieger barrels and more importantly some pictures of how they shoot
grin.gif
. </div></div>

4-6download009.jpg
6ARturbo40º - 26" Kreiger .236 Bore 8-twist Heavy Varmint comtour
6TurboB105VLD3-30-11.jpg
Two five-shot groups of 105Gr Berger VLDs over Varget. Does this all day. </div></div>

very nice rifle thanks for the upload! deffenetly a bench queen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diver9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow very very nice rifle! by any chance you wanna list out all the parts? im looking to build a rifle very similar to yours. thanks in advance!!</div></div>

Thanks diver9.
The best thing about it is that it shoots better than it looks!
As far as parts, it's standard MK12 Mod0 stuff, with a Krieger SPR profile 1/7 18" barrel/bolt, M16 Bolt Carrier, SOPMOD stock, LMT Defender 2000 lower with a KAC 2-stage trigger group. Instead of the ARMS #22M rings I have a #35 base & Medium #35 rings for compatibility with the AN/PVS-22 OSTI "clip on" NV sight. The Leupold is a MK4 ILL 3-9 TMR with Killflash ARD. The barrel was profiled and KG coated for use with the OPS 12th Suppressor.
Don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions, and many thanks for the compliments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the DCM krieger barrel for my AR-15 1:7.7 , Had no issues with it still trying to work up a tac load for it. With 24 grns of Varget, LC brass, 77 SMK, 5 shot groups at 100yds is less than a 1/2moa. However with tac I do not get as good or as consistent results as varget, however it groups inside of 1 moa. Shooting rimfire through the barrel, it groups 10 shoots with in 1 inch at 25yds. Which isn't great but I was surprised that I could shoot 40 grn .22 ammo with the 1:7.7 twist and get decent results. I do get a lot of looks when my groups at 300yds are smaller than most hunters are getting at 100yds with their magnum caliber bolt rifles.

Also note that mine was chambered .223 wylde. </div></div>
Try 24gr of RE15 with CCI450 or 41 primers, that is pretty much the universal match load works with 69s too and the wylde chamber work up to it kind close to max with 77s.
You may want to try some PRI mags so you can load out to 2.28OAL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edwin907</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Krieger SPR barrelled Mod0
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=29240

A 100 yard 20 round rapid fire target
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=30170</div></div>

Very nice group!! I currently have my LR308 upper being delivered
to Krieger for a barrel swap from the original DPMS .308 barrel to a 260rem. If my mine shoots anywhere near that I will be extremely satisfied.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diver9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for all the help guys! i really like the nights armament sr-15 e3 but have heard that the accuracy isnt to great ( around 1.25-1.5 MOA) at the best. would a krieger barrel swap right out for the sr-15 or would i need to send it away.
</div></div>

My SR15E3 shoots right at .75 MOA with Mk262. And just at 1 MOA with M855. I am pretty happy with that, as it is a smooth shooting rifle and not intended to be a match rifle. My NM AR's will do 1/2 MOA consistantly with 77's and utilize a CLE prepped1-7.7 Krieger barrel. Both my Team provided and personal Build rifle.
Alot of people claiming poor accuracy witht the SR are using 55 Gr. ( usually wally world white box special) which is not as accurate from a 1-7 barrel. I can't imagine why they have issues getting Under 1 Moa with M193 equivulent..
shocked.gif

But load some good ammo up more appropriate to the twist and a little better than M193 and you should get 1 MOA or less. And to answer your question, you would need to send it out and use the same barrel extension that came off the E3, unless you have the capability of removing/reinstalling the extension and properly headspacing a Bolt, as the E3 uses a propietary enhanced bolt and matching extension, plus a unique to itself gas tube length, meaning a unique gas port location as well.
AR's are very inducive to being accurate, however they are very difficult to shoot well consistantly. It takes a lot of practice and dead precise repeatability in your firing to get one wrung out to its potential on paper. Fortunately, there are also a TON of accesories that make it easier to shoot them more accurately. The nice grips and stocks and triggers do nothing for the accuracy of the rifle, they just make it easier for you to utilize thier accuracy. The Barrel is the HEART and key accuracy component in an AR. Everything else is an accesory. That being said, Krieger is perhaps the best readily available barrel for the AR15. Id recommend the wylde or 5.56 Match chamber. I use the %.56 Match chamber personally, and on my Krieger barreled AR10 NM rifle I use an obermyer chamber and 1-11 twist, as it is just about perfect for the 175/190 sierra loaded to mag length. Hope this helps.

SSG Jonathan O'Neal

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ndPanzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diver9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for all the help guys! i really like the nights armament sr-15 e3 but have heard that the accuracy isnt to great ( around 1.25-1.5 MOA) at the best. would a krieger barrel swap right out for the sr-15 or would i need to send it away.
</div></div>

My SR15E3 shoots right at .75 MOA with Mk262. And just at 1 MOA with M855. I am pretty happy with that, as it is a smooth shooting rifle and not intended to be a match rifle. My NM AR's will do 1/2 MOA consistantly with 77's and utilize a CLE prepped1-7.7 Krieger barrel. Both my Team provided and personal Build rifle.
Alot of people claiming poor accuracy witht the SR are using 55 Gr. ( usually wally world white box special) which is not as accurate from a 1-7 barrel. I can't imagine why they have issues getting Under 1 Moa with M193 equivulent..
shocked.gif

But load some good ammo up more appropriate to the twist and a little better than M193 and you should get 1 MOA or less. And to answer your question, you would need to send it out and use the same barrel extension that came off the E3, unless you have the capability of removing/reinstalling the extension and properly headspacing a Bolt, as the E3 uses a propietary enhanced bolt and matching extension, plus a unique to itself gas tube length, meaning a unique gas port location as well.
AR's are very inducive to being accurate, however they are very difficult to shoot well consistantly. It takes a lot of practice and dead precise repeatability in your firing to get one wrung out to its potential on paper. Fortunately, there are also a TON of accesories that make it easier to shoot them more accurately. The nice grips and stocks and triggers do nothing for the accuracy of the rifle, they just make it easier for you to utilize thier accuracy. The Barrel is the HEART and key accuracy component in an AR. Everything else is an accesory. That being said, Krieger is perhaps the best readily available barrel for the AR15. Id recommend the wylde or 5.56 Match chamber. I use the %.56 Match chamber personally, and on my Krieger barreled AR10 NM rifle I use an obermyer chamber and 1-11 twist, as it is just about perfect for the 175/190 sierra loaded to mag length. Hope this helps.

SSG Jonathan O'Neal </div></div>

thanks alot thats some good info. since the sr-15e3 stock is exactly what i want the krieger barrel at a 16" or 18" barrel would get some better accuracy and keep the same reliability??

Great post 2cndpanzer.

Diver, I also have a Krieger 16" Recon 1/7 profiled for the OPS 12th and it is also a tack driver. Initially I was let down by it's accuracy, but told to give it some time to settle in. After somewhere over 130 rounds and a couple of good cleanings and a de-coppering, I was surprised by accuracy as good as the 18" Mod0. It doesn't seem to foul at all, and has been MOA at 500 meters, SN-3 1.8-10X37, prone, rear bag, bipod, OPS 12th with some Fulton Armory MK262!
I was so pleased with the accuracy, I eventualy went back to my TA11C ACOG.
Neither of these Kriegers are "target" rifles, but combat rifles, combat rifles with superb accuracy.
To me the "acid" test of a SPR/Recon is the ability to shoot 20 rounds MOA @ 100 meters in under 30 seconds with production "match" ammo, but still shoot MOA (or dang close) at 500-600 meters.
A Krieger is pretty expensive for a combat rifle, but worth every cent.
I couldn't be more pleased with either.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=29246

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edwin907</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great post 2cndpanzer.

Diver, I also have a Krieger 16" Recon 1/7 profiled for the OPS 12th and it is also a tack driver. Initially I was let down by it's accuracy, but told to give it some time to settle in. After somewhere over 130 rounds and a couple of good cleanings and a de-coppering, I was surprised by accuracy as good as the 18" Mod0. It doesn't seem to foul at all, and has been MOA at 500 meters, SN-3 1.8-10X37, prone, rear bag, bipod, OPS 12th with some Fulton Armory MK262!
I was so pleased with the accuracy, I eventualy went back to my TA11C ACOG.
Neither of these Kriegers are "target" rifles, but combat rifles, combat rifles with superb accuracy.
To me the "acid" test of a SPR/Recon is the ability to shoot 20 rounds MOA @ 100 meters in under 30 seconds with production "match" ammo, but still shoot MOA (or dang close) at 500-600 meters.
A Krieger is pretty expensive for a combat rifle, but worth every cent.
I couldn't be more pleased with either.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=29246

</div></div>

good info and very nice rifle but how its set up its screaming for that USO! lets see a range report!

mk12 mod1 with kriger here and works just as good as edwins. Cant say enough good stuff about them.
Pat

Thank you Edwin, you r post did remind me of something as far as Krieger barrel getting better. My Team rifle was issued to me with Zero rounds through it, I turned it in at the end of the season with 3000 on it. I do distinctly remember the scores and rapid fire groups getting better at 300 and especially at 800 rds. Right at about 500 rds or so it was easy to clean and decoppering was a one patch affair. Very nice. The regimen we use to clean the rifles are simple. Hoppes to get the carbon out and sweets after that to get the copper out, every time we fired, and then a bare brush after the normal cleaning with JB for 5 Swioes every 300 rds. Mainly for throat maintenance.This is thier gun, thier rules, but after seeing how it maintained its accuracy and how easy the cleaning went after the first 300 rds or so, I adopted it fo my personal AR15 and AR10 competition rifles.,
And Diver, I am not sure reliabilty would be affected at all with a barrel change. My Match rifles have been flawless, but they are very well maintained and are fed high quality ammunition. I keep them fairly wet, and for what they are they are run "hard" with the countless practice sessions and competitions. The 3k rounds occured in only 3 months of service. The only malfunctions we ever encountered were a faulty magazine, and a bad extractor. Accuracy will go up of course, and will improve in the first couple of hundred rounds if you take care of it, and last for 3500-4000 rds or so before you start to see an effect. The NM rifles we use are easily 1/2 minute after being settled in and fed the right ammo. And even before that are 3/4 min or so. namely Mk262 and Atlanta Arms 77 AMU load. ( VERY impressive ammo there, 2950 from a 20 in rifle, seriously. And will hold half the X ring at 600 with a good shooter. ) Of course these rifles are built by highly experienced gunsmiths one at a time and tinkered with until it is just right mechanically and every trick in the book is used. Plus they are tailored to each individual shooter as much as possible within the rules. No offense to Mr. Gene Clark of the AMU, as he is a fantastic and very innovating Gunsmith, and pretty much made the AR15 the NM rifle that it is today, and has been extremely helpful to me personally, but I think we have the best gunsmiths in the country working for the Guard.
wink.gif
( Insert friendly rivalry here) If your heart is set on a Krieger, You might want to give CLE or WOA a call about sending them your upper to swap out all the propietary parts to the New barrel. But one last thing I think I faied to mention was the Barrel nut on the URX rail on the E3 is alo propietart and the special tool is $300. Some shops will remove or install the rail for a $50 fee however, before you send the barrel in. Expect to spend about $500 or more for the barrel and work. A profiles, Chamberd ready to run 1-7.7 CLE service rifle barrel will run into the $400 range, and over $500 for an AR10 version. Might be worth it to get the E3 and run it into the ground first then consider rebarreling, but it will Take a WHILE to run out the KAC Hammer forged Chromed bore barrel. Mine has been accurate enough for what I ask of it, anything more I have the Service rifls to go to or the NM A4 that got rebarreled and converted to a DMR type in the Army 3rd ID specs. Hope this helps you.

SSG Jonathan O'Neal

ETA, Just thought of this, you may be best served by just getting a dedicated Krieger upper to swap with the E3 for use requirements. Just a thought as alot of the Service Rifle builders offer a DMR type with the Krieger barrell and outstanding accuracy as well, built by people that know how, for a decent price. Just a thought.

It's almost funny, you guys, my experience with the Kriegers.
My Mod0 shot nickle/dime sized 100 yard groups with 77gr match ammo as soon as I got it sighted in. But Jason did an effective bit of break in for me with the upper.

My 16" had zero rounds through it, and when I first shot it I was getting near MOA at 100 yards with match ammo and a NSX 3.5-15X50 scope, prone, bipod, rear bag.
Well, I thought, they can't all be "match" quality. And, it's being built as a combat rifle, not a target rifle. Didn't really give any thought to break in.
After a couple of range trips with the TA11C doing BAC drills, I decided to give it a good cleaning and another go with the NSX and a new lot of MK262 just received. This sprung from a conversation with WES @ MSTN and his experiences with Kriegers, accuracy, and the fact that they always seemed to take quite a few mags to "settle in".

Well settle in it did, as often as not it seemed the holes in the target were practically touching, and a 10 shot 100 yard group of under 3/4 MOA was solid proof. Even better was a solid MOA group @ 500 meters. Clearly, the OPS 12th doesn't hurt either.

Not bad for a 16" gas gun!
As much as I like my Mod0, the Recon is my favorite rifle. Not too heavy or long, and a fantastic shooter. So a couple of times now I have mounted the NSX or SN-3 just to see that it can shoot better than me. Then I slap the TA11C back on it and smile, all smiles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ndPanzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Thank you Edwin, you r post did remind me of something as far as Krieger barrel getting better. My Team rifle was issued to me with Zero rounds through it, I turned it in at the end of the season with 3000 on it. I do distinctly remember the scores and rapid fire groups getting better at 300 and especially at 800 rds. Right at about 500 rds or so it was easy to clean and decoppering was a one patch affair. Very nice. The regimen we use to clean the rifles are simple. Hoppes to get the carbon out and sweets after that to get the copper out, every time we fired, and then a bare brush after the normal cleaning with JB for 5 Swioes every 300 rds. Mainly for throat maintenance.This is thier gun, thier rules, but after seeing how it maintained its accuracy and how easy the cleaning went after the first 300 rds or so, I adopted it fo my personal AR15 and AR10 competition rifles.,
And Diver, I am not sure reliabilty would be affected at all with a barrel change. My Match rifles have been flawless, but they are very well maintained and are fed high quality ammunition. I keep them fairly wet, and for what they are they are run "hard" with the countless practice sessions and competitions. The 3k rounds occured in only 3 months of service. The only malfunctions we ever encountered were a faulty magazine, and a bad extractor. Accuracy will go up of course, and will improve in the first couple of hundred rounds if you take care of it, and last for 3500-4000 rds or so before you start to see an effect. The NM rifles we use are easily 1/2 minute after being settled in and fed the right ammo. And even before that are 3/4 min or so. namely Mk262 and Atlanta Arms 77 AMU load. ( VERY impressive ammo there, 2950 from a 20 in rifle, seriously. And will hold half the X ring at 600 with a good shooter. ) Of course these rifles are built by highly experienced gunsmiths one at a time and tinkered with until it is just right mechanically and every trick in the book is used. Plus they are tailored to each individual shooter as much as possible within the rules. No offense to Mr. Gene Clark of the AMU, as he is a fantastic and very innovating Gunsmith, and pretty much made the AR15 the NM rifle that it is today, and has been extremely helpful to me personally, but I think we have the best gunsmiths in the country working for the Guard.
wink.gif
( Insert friendly rivalry here) If your heart is set on a Krieger, You might want to give CLE or WOA a call about sending them your upper to swap out all the propietary parts to the New barrel. But one last thing I think I faied to mention was the Barrel nut on the URX rail on the E3 is alo propietart and the special tool is $300. Some shops will remove or install the rail for a $50 fee however, before you send the barrel in. Expect to spend about $500 or more for the barrel and work. A profiles, Chamberd ready to run 1-7.7 CLE service rifle barrel will run into the $400 range, and over $500 for an AR10 version. Might be worth it to get the E3 and run it into the ground first then consider rebarreling, but it will Take a WHILE to run out the KAC Hammer forged Chromed bore barrel. Mine has been accurate enough for what I ask of it, anything more I have the Service rifls to go to or the NM A4 that got rebarreled and converted to a DMR type in the Army 3rd ID specs. Hope this helps you.

SSG Jonathan O'Neal

ETA, Just thought of this, you may be best served by just getting a dedicated Krieger upper to swap with the E3 for use requirements. Just a thought as alot of the Service Rifle builders offer a DMR type with the Krieger barrell and outstanding accuracy as well, built by people that know how, for a decent price. Just a thought. </div></div>

hey thanks for all the info and like you said i will probably just run the barrel into the ground before i switch it out which might take 20 years but thats a reason you pay big bucks for a long lasting rifle right?!
grin.gif