• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing krieger barrels

coulthard_west

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2008
new orleans la
ive got a savage 10 fp with a 24" barrel mainly used for f class shooting. im still going to mainly be doing the same thing but its now time for a new barrel. damn factory ones dont last long. im looking at a 26" krieger in 308 with a 1-10" twist that will be threaded and capped for f class shooting and for target shooting and or the little woman to shoot it on of these.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/P...p;s=51030#51030

let me know what u guys think. this is what the smith and i are dicussing. thanks and happy shooting.

Re: krieger barrels

your link is to a muzzle brake.

Krieger barrels are in the top tier of those available, no matter what the config - an unturned blank, tapered blank, ready to screw on complete barrel.

I'm hoping that break will work fine for me. I'm looking for a break that can be talent on and off with out messing up timing of break and maybe one day a supressor

I have a SureFire brake on my ar and it works like a dream. I am having a SureFire brake put on my .260 that is being built as well. There is nothing wrong with the SureFire brake just different strokes for different folks.

Chuck

alright, i talked to my smith and this is what we agreed upon. 26" krieger barrel chambered in .308 with a 1in10 twist 1 1/4 at the breach and .900 at the muzzel and ill be using the badger fte break in 5/8-24 instead of a surefire break. what yall think of that one?

All sounds good, but I would go with a 11 twist instead of 12.

+1 for the FTE brake. they work really well...shooting prone on bare dirt most of the gas is diverted to the sides. Even with a .338 LM there is little dust blow back. Good unit!

both of those will run in a 11 twist. a 10 twist is best for 180 and above.

ok?????? i was told by several people to stick with the 10 twist. im not being a smart ass but how would an 11 twist stabilize a 178 amax better than a 10 twist at 2750 fps?

SIT,

Most guys run the 1:10s in 300WM with 190s and above.

GAP runs 1:11.25 in their 308s I believe. If you are only going to shoot 178s or 175s the 1:11.25 is good to go.

JMO,

Vu

All of my .308s are 1-11"...they shoot everything well, espescialy the 155 scenars. Twist rate is pretty forgiving with a .308. You should be good to go with 1-10".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im not being a smart ass but how would an 11 twist stabilize a 178 amax better than a 10 twist at 2750 fps? </div></div>

It wouldn't make a diff for the 178, you need a faster twist to stablize heavier bullets.

You relize you have to take off the brake everytime you shoot an F-Class match?

yeah i do, thats why im getting the fte, that way it'll come off and go back on with out a problem. how is your build coming j?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im going with a 10 twist for the 178 amax's and 175 smk's </div></div>

You don't need a 10 twist for a 175. You need a 10 twist for a 220 gr round nose going about 2100 FPS. The 10 twist is left over from the pre-spitzer bullet 30-03. The US Model 1903 had that twist then the same machines were used to make the M1 barrels. That's the only reason the 10 twist is ever popular for 30 cal - history.