• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Krieger barrels

hairy spotter

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I am considering (planning actually) to buy a new Krieger barrel for my 700. The pricing on their website is quite complicated, and I really do not know how to budget this purchase.

How much did you Krieger barrel upgrades cost you? Including installation, everything.

Re: Krieger barrels

Which upgrades do you want?
If you call Krieger with your barrel choice and a list of upgrades they will tell you exactly how much it will cost.

Just order the barrel. They are the best of the best and a long way from cheap. Kriegers are what wins the matches.

Have one on a custom tactical,well worth the money. Very pleased with it.

If you are buying a custom barrel, you shouldn't just buy a threading/chambering job if this is your first custom tube. Go ahead and have your action trued so you can get the best from your new barrel. This is going to run you at least $600 for the entire job with barrel cost factored in.

A good barrel will be 300. action truing 100 bucks chambering 150 bucks. Krieger is the king but if your not going to compete save a little cash and go with a shilen or Brux. Most likely they will shoot just as good anyway. If you are short on cash i would skip the truing and get the rifle stock beaded. that will effect your accuracy more than an action thats a few thousands out. Lap the lugs yourself and get some trigger time in. Lee

I would just buy one that is as close to possible as you want from brunoshooters.com and be happy with that. I like flutes but I don't see the value is spending 150 dollars for 6 of them when they don't help THAT much. They look cool though
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edgerat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would just buy one that is as close to possible as you want from brunoshooters.com and be happy with that. </div></div>

Thats what I did. I originally wanted a light varmint contour and ended up getting the heavy varmint since that is what Bruno's had in stock. Close enough for the girls I date.

Thanks for the replys guys, but a lower end barrel such as Shilen or Brux is just not in the cards for me. If there's one thing I hate, it's getting cheap "upgrades". My factory barrel is not even worn out yet, and the reason I want to change is because I feel my rifle is not shooting as well as I am, and I already have almost 3g's in it.

I can hold the reticle within 1/2MOA, but my groups are never that good at longer ranges. So I figure the next thing to do is get a custom high quality barrel, and hopefully the bullets will go exactly where I am pointing.

But the suggestion to get the action trued makes sense.

If you order the Krieger direct be ready for a little wait though. I ordered a .260 barrel back in November and am still waiting. You definitely might want to check with their distributors to see what they have in stock.

Chuck

I wouldn't call Shilen or Brux cheap. There is nothing wrong with any of the well known makers. I use Broughtons but have Shilens and they all shoot. The chamber and overall fitting by the smith is IMO far more important than the barrel manufactuer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eitmsmf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't call Shilen or Brux cheap. There is nothing wrong with any of the well known makers. I use Broughtons but have Shilens and they all shoot. The chamber and overall fitting by the smith is IMO far more important than the barrel manufactuer. </div></div>

+1 While I'm not hot on Shilen, I would put a brux right up there with any of the other makers. They can also get you the barrel in three weeks. A #8 Krieger with no flutes is $280 bucks...exactly what I paid for both of my Brux.

By the way...what special features are you talking about? Barrel is $280, fluting is $95. Installation including a crown and lug lapping is $270. $645 installed with fluting, $550 without.

Edited: If a standard .308 tactical, get a straight taper #8 or #9, have it finished to 22". In the #8 that will give a muzzle diameter of .885, and .930 for the #9 at the same length.

Thanks Supersubes for all the details. What I meant for "features" is pretty much all what you covered, the fluting, crowning, lapping, final install, etc. I was not sure if parkerizing etc, is included in their base price. For length I was going to go with 23.5" total. I have 20 now, but I read an excellent article somewhere which made me want that particular length.

What's the overall consensus on Cro-Mo vs. stainless? I prefer cro mo, knowing it is harder than stainless, and I am not too worried about rust, as I clean my gear often.

Just got my barrel from Kreiger, here are the info for your help:
Contour 10 MTU, Stainless
- 1.25 breach dia,
- .970 muzzle dia
- 22in finished lehght
- 12x3/16 flutes
- 1:10 twist
Ordered in Febuary, received end may
Price, 280.00$, fluting is 95.00$, shipping is 15.00$

Very nice work, Scott from Kreiger is a great buddy to speak with

Supersubes was right with his quote.

I have choose SS over CM, i have asked Surgeon and screwing a SS tube to a CRO action is OK, here is what lilja say, hope it will help you my friend...
<span style="color: #009900"><span style="font-style: italic">Q. What are the differences between chrome-moly barrels and stainless steel barrels?

A. We buy our steels directly from the steel mills. Our steel is made to our specifications as far as chemistry and heat treatments are concerned. Our chrome-moly is a modified 4140 type steel and the stainless steel is type 416 with a few extra steps and tests in its manufacture. We have used steel of both types from several different mills and have settled on what we feel is the best available.

The primary difference between the two types, as far as rifle barrels are concerned, is that chrome-moly can be blued and stainless steel cannot be using conventional methods. Rifle barrels made from stainless steel will last longer, as related to throat erosion, than chrome-moly. Stainless steel resists heat erosion better. Also we can get a slightly better internal finish when lapping with stainless steel.

Approximately 90% of the barrels we manufacture are made from stainless steel. In our experience, most of the chrome-moly barrels we make go on high-grade custom hunting rifles that are going to have a nice custom made wood stock. And some shooters insist on having a blued barrel.

An exception to the above is the large number of 50BMG barrels we make from chrome-moly. Our recommendation for steel choice with 50BMG barrels depends on the bullet type the shooter intends to use. If you are going to use conventional jacked bullets, such as the Hornady or ball ammunition, then the stainless steel barrels will probably last longer and foul less. But if your choice is one of the custom made lathe-turned bullets made from brass, bronze, copper, or even steel, then the chrome-moly barrels will probably last longer and give better accuracy. Please see our comments on moly coating and these types of bullets. If you plan to shoot both types of bullets then the chrome-moly barrels are a better choice. </span></span>

30 Caliber Krieger barrels are in stock and ready to ship (although overpriced) at MidwayUSA.

Krieger Barrel Blank 30 Caliber Centerfire #10 Marksmanship Training Unit (MTU) Contour 1 in 12" Twist 27" Stainless Steel

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=881624

Krieger Barrel Blank 30 Caliber Centerfire #14 Heavy Palma Blank 1 in 10" Twist 30" Chrome Moly In the White

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=892430

Krieger Barrel Blank 30 Caliber Centerfire #3 Medium Sporter Contour 1 in 10" Twist 27" Chrome Moly In the White

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=855047

Krieger Barrel Blank 30 Caliber Centerfire #5 Bull Sporter Contour 1 in 10" Twist 27" Stainless Steel

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=118518

my 2 cents.

i had a receiver trued and barrel installed by krieger, sent action up in may last year, got it back in early Nov. im am pleased. paid about $700 for everything.

I ordered from Brunos and had the barrels the same week. It was cheaper to order from them. The barrels cost 299 for a 30" med palma barrel.

I had Krieger do my 6.5-06 and I was not happy. The chamber was out-of-round and never shot up to the barrels potential. I did not realize it until it was pointed out to me by another more experiences shooter. I have use a half-dozen of there barrel and the are great, but they got sloppy putting mine rifle together.

I suggest that you use another gunsmith to put it together. YMMV

Good luck

Jerry

I ordered a Krieger for my AR build, and had it in a week and a few days. It doesn't have any fluting or anything, just cut to 22". I haven't had it chambered or installed yet so I don't know about the performance of it. It sure does look pretty sitting there though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hairy spotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replys guys, but a lower end barrel such as Shilen or Brux is just not in the cards for me. If there's one thing I hate, it's getting cheap "upgrades". My factory barrel is not even worn out yet, and the reason I want to change is because I feel my rifle is not shooting as well as I am, and I already have almost 3g's in it.

I can hold the reticle within 1/2MOA, but my groups are never that good at longer ranges. So I figure the next thing to do is get a custom high quality barrel, and hopefully the bullets will go exactly where I am pointing.

But the suggestion to get the action trued makes sense. </div></div>

My smith told me with my factory bbl to just shoot it, THEN get the Kreiger if it did not shoot well.

But, after the cryo and Tubbs FF - my rifle can shoot 1/4 MOA - Rotortuner shot my rifle and shot a hell better group than I did..

But Kreiger is an excellentchoice, had one on my Across-the-Course rifle - great bbl..

I don't understand the contours on their site- that's confusing to me.

I've also heard from every good smith - BUY YOUR OWN REAMER, you only get 4 or 5 uses and if you are one of the last uses your chamber could suffer...

This way you get the reamer the way you want YOUR chamber...