• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Krieger vs Bartlein

wade-19

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2010
St.Louis, MO
Any reason to choose one over the other for a build ? I mean two identically speced barrels ? Same rifleing, twist rate, etc.

Re: Krieger vs Bartlein

Identically specked they are both very high quality. Some of the top smiths prefer one, some the other.

One thing, I think Bartlein can do some stuff that Krieger cannot, for example gain twist.

imho, there are advocates for both but both usually shoot better than I can. both are g ood barrel makers.I usually pick whichever is available in the timeframe im looking for.

I was once told that the guy who formed Bartlein was a former employee of Krieger. Not sure if any truth to that claim or not. However I use Krieger Barrels but would have no Issue going to Bartlein if the price was lower or availability was easier. Both seem to make outstanding barrels.

Another thing to look at is Company profiles:

http://companies.findthecompany.com/l/694417/Krieger-Barrels-Inc-in-Richfield-WI

http://companies.findthecompany.com/l/14422933/Bartlein-Barrels-Inc-in-Jackson-WI

One interesting difference I think...

If I have my facts straight, Krieger and most of the other cut rifles makers are using old Pratt & Whitney machines.

On the other hand, I think Bartlein is using more modern, CNC equipment (in part or completely I'm not sure). This is what allows them to do things like gain twist.

What's better - the old, proven industrial Pratts or the new machines? I don't know, but I have one Krieger and have had 4 Bartleins.

Again, I may not have my facts completely straight, but this is they way I understand it.

I run both Krieger and Bartlein barrels. Both companies put out very high quality single point cut barrels. I am extremely happy with both brands. I run a Krieger #9 contour on a .300 Win Mag., a Bartlein #7 contour on a .260 Rem., and a #7 contour on a 308 Win. Bartlien, however, offers progressive twist rifling or what they call "T" rifling which Krieger, last I checked, doesn't.

I believe perhaps the newer machinery could allow Bartlein the advantage to easily retool the machines to do gain twist as Kriegers older machines would require a lot more retooling time?

I don't think it has to do with machinery as really old firearms used to use gain twist. ie Italian Carcano, Muzzle loaders ect.

Completely speculating here, and I have very little machining knowledge, but I imagine changing twist on the older machines involves swapping out gears or screws or something like that. I also imagine you are limited to a certain number of twists, and that getting a gain would involve having a custom screw made. Just guessing though.

If the newer equipment is what I think it is, then it's just a matter of programming. Also you could do any twist you desired, rather than a set increment of twists.

Pick the one thats avalible. I've got a 5r bartlein on my 308 and my shooting partner has a 4 groove(I think) krieger on his 308. Both guns shoot .25-.4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bartlein, Period !

There is no reason to choose Krieger when considering the two ... </div></div>

Except they're both great barrels and only a small fraction of people shooting "precision" rifles could actually tell the difference...if there is one. I've owned most of the "big" names...my go to is a Krieger...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ANGLICO Marine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bartlein, Period !

Except they're both great barrels and only a small fraction of people shooting "precision" rifles could actually tell the difference...if there is one. I've owned most of the "big" names...my go to is a Krieger...
</div></div>

When your sample size is less than the fingers on your hand, combined of course you can't tell ...

You see the logo on these guys shoulder right

288883_387717131293378_758578422_o.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ANGLICO Marine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bartlein, Period !

</div></div>

When your sample size is less than the fingers on your hand, combined of course you can't tell ... </div></div>

I agree, if the sample size were less than the number of fingers on your hand. I'm not saying that Bartleins aren't great barrels (I own one now) I just find it amusing when such a difinitive sounding answer come flying in. There is a conversation to be had...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ANGLICO Marine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ANGLICO Marine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bartlein, Period !

</div></div>

When your sample size is less than the fingers on your hand, combined of course you can't tell ... </div></div>

I agree, if the sample size were less than the number of fingers on your hand. I'm not saying that Bartleins aren't great barrels (I own one now) I just find it amusing when such a difinitive sounding answer come flying in. There is a conversation to be had...</div></div>

At this point there is no need for a conversation, you have one barrel and are trying to compare it too that... when you get past 10 of each, call me, we can have the conversation on a somewhat equal footing.

NOW THATS THE SHIRT I WANT GAP TO SELL ON THEIR WEBSITE!!!! RG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

You will see more Kreiger barrels on the benchrest circuit. But on tactical shooting, either will work as you will not see any difference. What about Brux, Benchmark, Hart, Shilen, Douglas, Scneider, Rock Creek, Obermeyer ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You see the logo on these guys shoulder right

</div></div>

Let's be honest, these guys would be holding those same plaques if they had been shooting factory Remingtons.
smile.gif

I have never had a bad bbl from either company, I have had a few of each, LL, have you had a bad kreiger? Just wondering, All my custom bbls are WAY more accurate than I am any way. Never had a custom that was not accurate, I'm sure some have but wondering if it was a smith flaw or a bbl flaw. Not debating either way, just wondering because based off my small experience both have been great. Just got a brand new bartlien the other day and its crazy accurate.

Actually if you look at the website for Benchrest you'll see more Broughton, but also you'll note that Bartlein, though lightly represented, is at the Top of several lists.

Because people always go to the same place over and over doesn't mean they are keeping up with what is happening. Some are still using Lawton... not that I would recommend them to anyone, still they are present.

Can someone tell me who much and what the difference is between a barrel maker's barrel and the ones that go on off the shelf rifles. Is there really a night and day difference and if so, why?

--Dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> At this point there is no need for a conversation, you have one barrel and are trying to compare it too that... when you get past 10 of each, call me, we can have the conversation on a somewhat equal footing. </div></div>

Heaven forbid someone disagrees with Lowlight... All I'm saying is that there is a conversation to be had. Maybe you should shut off our ability to respond to posts; we'll just wait for the next nugget of infallible wisdom to be handed down from on high since as soon as somebody has the gall to disagree with the all knowing Lowlight you seem to get offended... I've seen it every time someone disagrees.

I hvven't gotten angry or offended at anything I made no comment of any kind to that...

We are having a conversation and I have provided more than, "i have one of each and like my Krieger" I am at least adding to this and have even checked the BR Stats which in the Pennsylvania the top Light gun is a Bartlein... and I have also noted Broughton is the most popular.

Where is my high horse or anger ? Just cause you want to disagree with me and fall to my experience don't get pissed at me throwing your anger towards that my way.

I don't care what you use... I use Bartlein despite owning a bunch of Kriegers

The difference is real, and drilling a blank is not as straight forward as you probably would believe.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R1V66Dv35RU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R1V66Dv35RU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rz3p95d3oL0&feature=relmfu"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rz3p95d3oL0&feature=relmfu" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hvven't gotten angry or offended at anything I made no comment of any kind to that...

We are having a conversation and I have provided more than, "i have of each and like my Krieger" I am at least adding to this and have even checked the BR Stats which in the Pennsylvania the top Light gun is a Bartlein... and I have also noted Broughton is the most popular.

Where is my high horse or anger ? Just cause you want to disagree with me and fall to my experience don't get pissed at me throwing your anger towards that my way.

I don't care what you use... I use Bartlein despite owning a bunch of Kriegers </div></div>

You know Lowlight, that is actually more like it. I was actually going to do some reseach, but there tends to be a certain disdain around here for "square" ranges (which I understand since this is more of a practical forum). My background is in NRA cross course and long range (30 years) I've scored for people that have fired world record scores...one with a Lilja. My only point is that it is not cut and dry...there is a conversation to be had.

I've owned both, shoot only Bartlein now.

Why you ask? Both will shoot better than I will. However, every comp I go to I see Bartlein barrels, Bartlein hats/patches, etc. They came out to NorCal TBRC last weekend with a few free barrel certificates, a few more 50% off barrels certificates, enough patches and shirts for anyone who wanted them, etc etc....oh and they sent two guys to watch/represent/answer questions. I can maybe remember one Krieger on a prize table in the recent past.

I support those that support this sport.

PS....The logo in my sig line....they've never given me a barrel. It's there in support of them, not because they support me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned both, shoot only Bartlein now.

Why you ask? Both will shoot better than I will. However, every comp I go to I see Bartlein barrels, Bartlein hats/patches, etc. They came out to NorCal TBRC last weekend with a few free barrel certificates, a few more 50% off barrels certificates, enough patches and shirts for anyone who wanted them, etc etc....oh and they sent two guys to watch/represent/answer questions. I can maybe remember one Krieger on a prize table in the recent past.

I support those that support this sport. </div></div>

That is a reason that makes sense....support those that support...

Not trying to start any drama. It's just that I contacted a well known rifle builder and asked if he had a Bartlein barrel in a certain contour in stock. He replied that no he did not, but has a Kreiger that is what I am looking for. He stated that in his opinion Bartlein and Kreiger are the two best makers out there and would not hesitate to use either .
Just thought I would check in here to see if there was any reason not to grab the Krieger and keep looking for the Bartlein. Thanks for all the replies guys .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bartlein, Period !

Could you please explain this statement. I have never owned anything but factory rifles but I am looking to have a Rem 700 trued and re-barreled. To date I have heard great things about both brands. Therefore, I am curious why someone like yourself, with more shooting experience than I will ever have, would be so adamant about one brand over the other. Just interested in the reasoning behind your advice.

A new IBS 1000 yard HG record was just set with a Krieger. 3.495" group. I just did a quick check of the shooter profiles for the top 10 of the PRS and it looks like there are 6 guys running Kriegers and 4 Bartleins.(I believe surgeon uses krieger exclusively) I shoot Krieger because thats what my local dealer keeps in stock(3rd gen shooter supply), and they've all been shooters. But, I come here to learn and if theres a good reason to shoot a Bartlein over a Krieger that I can drive 15 min to pick up I would like to know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wade-19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to start any drama. It's just that I contacted a well known rifle builder and asked if he had a Bartlein barrel in a certain contour in stock. He replied that no he did not, but has a Kreiger that is what I am looking for. He stated that in his opinion Bartlein and Kreiger are the two best makers out there and would not hesitate to use either .
Just thought I would check in here to see if there was any reason not to grab the Krieger and keep looking for the Bartlein. Thanks for all the replies guys .</div></div>

In this scenario, since I have NO patience, I'd use the Krieger and not be worried one bit. All things are equal, Bartlein. Since the one you want is in stock, then Kreiger will work too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned both, shoot only Bartlein now.

I support those that support this sport.</div></div>

What this guys said! And all the other companies that care, give back, and listen.

I bet they drill there barrels the same way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guy Montag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The difference is real, and drilling a blank is not as straight forward as you probably would believe.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R1V66Dv35RU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R1V66Dv35RU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rz3p95d3oL0&feature=relmfu"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rz3p95d3oL0&feature=relmfu" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

I bet Bartlein drills there blanks the same way Krieger does. Maybe a different machine but the same tooling.

Warner Tools uses Bartlein barrels and carries them in stock! Nothing is 100% perfect, but some are closer then others. Frank Green is an awesome guy, always willing to answer questions and always willing to help. Btw, if I am not wrong Accuracy international also uses their barrels. But in the end all custom barrel makers produce barrels that are better then the shooter. In all fairness I don't think that "runout" video really proves how good or bad a barrel will shoot!

Could be wrong, but I think the other guy in the photo holding a plaque shoots with Krieger barrels.

I'll contribute that Bartleins always seem to produce more velocity. I've had in the realm of 5 or 6 different Bartleins now, and every one of them has produced more velocity that a similar Krieger or Broughton I might have had at a different time. This is will less powder on the Bartleins with higher velocities recorded through a Oehler.

Why do you say this? We all know you love GAP but I haven't heard why you say one is better than the other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nexusfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bartlein, Period !

Why do you say this? We all know you love GAP but I haven't heard why you say one is better than the other. </div></div>

The consistency and accuracy speaks for itself, there is no compromise with Bartlein.

I love Accuracy International too, not just GAP, in fact I have rifles from a lot of people and choose to use Bartlein. Yes, like GAP and Like Accuracy International North America, but also for the reasons JasonK listed.

I didnt see a reason to repeat, but the accuracy, and consistency I get out of Bartlein is outstanding.

My other favorite is Rock Creek and like to them a lot. They are fast and accurate with good results downrange. I have several Rocks and never hesitate to use them either, but nobody asked about them.

Bartlein in my opinion or which ever is in stock that is in your spec but I'm a Barlein guy myself.

Both excellent barrels but I shoot Bartlein now. I have 5 now on assorted rifles and love the accuracy. Have owned and shot Kreiger, Schneider, Broughton, Rock, Lothar Walther and a few others I have forgotten but Bartlein is the one I am sticking with.

Also look at the support you get from Bartlein on the Hide Frank is here answering questions and giving info. They have stepped up to support the shooters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was once told that the guy who formed Bartlein was a former employee of Krieger. Not sure if any truth to that claim or not. However I use Krieger Barrels but would have no Issue going to Bartlein if the price was lower or availability was easier. Both seem to make outstanding barrels.

Another thing to look at is Company profiles:

http://companies.findthecompany.com/l/694417/Krieger-Barrels-Inc-in-Richfield-WI

http://companies.findthecompany.com/l/14422933/Bartlein-Barrels-Inc-in-Jackson-WI </div></div>

Andy and I helped start Bartlein with Tracy. About 7 of us here use to work at Krieger.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One interesting difference I think...

If I have my facts straight, Krieger and most of the other cut rifles makers are using old Pratt & Whitney machines.

On the other hand, I think Bartlein is using more modern, CNC equipment (in part or completely I'm not sure). This is what allows them to do things like gain twist.

What's better - the old, proven industrial Pratts or the new machines? I don't know, but I have one Krieger and have had 4 Bartleins.

Again, I may not have my facts completely straight, but this is they way I understand it. </div></div>

You are correct. We are doing it all by CNC control.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

More barrels on the benchrest circuit? Short range or long range? Watch the listings more closely and especially at the big bench matches our barrels have consistenly been taking more and with that being said cut rifled barrels made by us and Krieger pretty much are taking the top majority over most other brands. Brux is making good sticks and Rock etc....

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I would lean Bartlein depending on the specs I'm looking for and here is why. Bartlein makes smaller contours. I think #5 is the smallest that Krieger will do a 30 cal and #6 is the smallest that they will flute. Krieger charges $30 extra for the 5R that comes standard on Bartlein. Also if memory serves me correctly Bartlein doesn't charge as much for fluting. Bartlein does the gain twist.

If you want CM go Krieger. I f you want just an unfluted 4 groove M40 barrel then it doesn't matter.

I want 5r 1:11.25 TW Varmint/Sendero contour. I will have it fluted after it is finished as I only want about 18 inches of it. Anyone know where this barrel is in stock ?