• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

kubota???

oneshot86

Minuteman
Jul 13, 2001
citrus park ,fl
ive got to buy a skid steer...
i have 2 new holland lx885, great machines but worn out, actually one is down and to fix it may be stupid.
the kubota ssv 65 vs the 75... may i have your opinion please

Bigger is better.
I have noticed that they are priced higher than the competition.

Not exactly the answer your asking for. But I just bought a new John Deere 325G and it’s been a great machine. Kubota cab and door is very nice tho.

My neighbor got the SSV-75 last year. He got a snow blade and plans to get a snowblower before this winter. I think he got tired of asking me to plow his driveway with my tractor. :) He's very happy with his skid steer.

I have had both Deere and Kubota. Biggest difference that I found, the hard way, is that Deere had a PTO with steel gears. Kubota uses Aluminum. The aluminum is known to turn into an expensive hand grenade. If under warranty, no problem. Mine was out of the extended warranty by a few weeks. Kubota paid for the failed parts, but left me paying labor, cost of dragging it on a lowboy, and bringing it home after it was rebuilt. The Deere was still working. Deere also had and maybe still has a much better warranty than
Kubota, without a need to purchase an extended warranty. Kubota was sold with low hours, so it didn’t hurt too bad. Never again.

Reactions: j-huskey
I run the svl 75-2 wide track. No complaints. The ac filters(2) need to be changed frequently in dusty conditions. The washer fluid reservoir could have been better designed. It sloshes and spills if too full. The door rocks, yes it has drawbacks(can be noisy) but you can enter/exit with loader raised. Easy to service, decent visibility. I've run a lot of skidders & this one is good to go.

Watch the John Deere. I think a lot of their equipment can only be serviced by their service centers. From what I understand from other farmers, that John Deere has made it impossible for farmers to do their own maintenance. Don't take my word for it, but do some research.

On that note, I have never heard anything bad about Kubota.

Only thing I have of kubota is a tractor! It’s very good! Out of all the skid steers I’ve owned and ran, nothing beats a caterpillar in any way!

Reactions: Maggot
The SSV65 or 75 are great skids. I currently am a Kubota technician and know those machines pretty well.

They're reliable, durable, and maintenance on them is fairly easy. All the filters are accessible, and most fluids can be drained from existing hoses.

Take a look at the tracked machines as well. The SVL65 is an impressive machine. Kubota also has some of the biggest cabs for comfort.

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Bobcat tracked machine all the way. Have two of them on the farm. Only froze tracks once. That won’t happen again. If I was an older gentleman I’d seriously look at JCB. That side door option looks very intriguing.

Reactions: AHorn
Kubota tractors and skid steer are ok but if you own or have operated a cat, Deere or case you will notice the difference. For me Kubota is good for the weekend farmer but when it comes to real work you want the companies that have a long history with heavy working machines. There is a reason why Kubota specializes in compact equipment.

You couldn't be more wrong. Deere skids are fucking junk. Cat skids are behind the times, and so is Bobcat.

I don't know many "weekend farmers" around my area, most are hardcore ranchers, or construction contractors. We have customers that put over 1500 hours on their skid every year, and the Kubota comes in for service every 500hrs, or they service it themselves. Skid steers cost too much to be for the hobbyist.

Kubota is the largest non automotive diesel engine manufacturer in the world, and Bobcat ran Kubota engines until Doosan bought them. Even Cat now runs Kubota diesel engines in some of their equipment.

Kubota tractors and skid steer are ok but if you own or have operated a cat, Deere or case you will notice the difference. For me Kubota is good for the weekend farmer but when it comes to real work you want the companies that have a long history with heavy working machines. There is a reason why Kubota specializes in compact equipment.
Whoa....couldn't disagree more! Oh well...each his own.

I've never heard someone say that they wished they had bought less horsepower.

Reactions: Snipe260
Less power also translates to less overall weight. The SVL95 weighs over 10,000 pounds. You need a heavy trailer to haul it. The SVL65 weighs considerably less, and is only 200 pounds shy of the SVL75 lifting capacity.

Another thing. The SSV line of wheeled skid steers underwent 7 years of development and testing before I even knew about them. So while they are relatively new to the market, the R&D that went into that machine was extensive. They can also be bought with hand and foot, or pilot controls.

Reactions: oneshot86
Watch the John Deere. I think a lot of their equipment can only be serviced by their service centers. From what I understand from other farmers, that John Deere has made it impossible for farmers to do their own maintenance. Don't take my word for it, but do some research.
This. Not sure about the smaller machines, but have heard the same about "dealer only" servicing on the big boys. The dealers have to have the Deere diagnostic hardware/software as well.

Double check your local dealer's capabilities, could be a PITA otherwise

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
You may have answered it somewhere and I missed it but what are you using it for? That makes a difference, also where are you using it. I do know without a doubt if you are really pushing one hard in the southern states during summer time nothing will keep up with a bobcat, there cooling system is far superior to others. We have had some contractors that were able to add external cooling systems to there cat machines and somewhat make a 10hr day mulching.
But it’s kinda like anything else, some like chocolate, some like vanilla.

Talk to some of the locals about your dealers. I think all kubota is sold through the same dealer. Around here, Deere has separate dealers for ag, forestry and const.

Some Kubota dealers sell under 140hp tractors, Ag (M7 and up), some CE, Turf, and some Haytools. It depends on what contracts they sign.

The dealer I work at sells smaller tractors, CE, and turf. We did sell the M7 line and bigger but ag isn't a huge market for Kubota here. And to be honest ag tractors are mostly John Deere and New Holland around here. Kubota has a huge hill to climb to compete with them.

More important is what dealers are local to you. What mechanics. That kind of shit. Would suck having a machine with no support within 100miles

More important is what dealers are local to you. What mechanics. That kind of shit. Would suck having a machine with no support within 100miles
Here in WY, traveling 100 miles to the nearest dealer is common. Mobile services can be done as well, but only so much can be done in the field, and we charge at a higher labor rate.

Reactions: Snipe260
Some Kubota dealers sell under 140hp tractors, Ag (M7 and up), some CE, Turf, and some Haytools. It depends on what contracts they sign.

The dealer I work at sells smaller tractors, CE, and turf. We did sell the M7 line and bigger but ag isn't a huge market for Kubota here. And to be honest ag tractors are mostly John Deere and New Holland around here. Kubota has a huge hill to climb to compete with them.
Deere owns the ag market here. One thing they do that the others don't (here anyway) is they have an outside sales guy for parts and service for their ag customers. His day is spent working with farmers. Helps them maintain parts on hand and records to help the farmer keep his equip running and able to make his own small repairs quickly. Deere business know-how handed to their customers.

But the only green tractor I own is cast iron and peddle powered.

I looked up the kubota 75. That's a lot of tractor. I carried a deere 333 (looks about the same size) home one weekend with a 3/4 ton pickup and bumper pull trailer. Doubt I'd do that again. I doubt you're going to be carrying it around much, but if you were I'd want a 450 or better to haul it.

Nevermind, I looked up the wrong tractor. Carry on. :)

totally, thats why no more new holland.
a pro for kubota is that they have a complete repair facility near for things i may not want to do
im shopping them all and i dont need a really big machine either, a 60 to 65 hp skidsteer would do me fine. i like the lifting weights of the 75 hp machines though.
i dont need the tracks.
all the wheeled skidsteers, in this hp class weigh about the same and only slightly heavier than the new hollands we have, so, no probs for our gooseneck and duallys. did i ever say i like electric trailer brakes.
i wasnt going to get the enclosed cab but i reconsidered.
we are small nursery and small ranch, our machines before did everything we needed but maybe only a tad shy of breakout force in the dirt pile. im certain a new machine in the same hp range would do perfect plus. im collecting pool dirt, so many pools are getting dug that they run out of space to dump the dirt, as long as i can stack it after they dump it, i can take it in, just took 6 loads in yesterday.
i havent worked on shopping today, squirrels everywhere, but ill shop them all, thanks for the opinions, and all the more, are appreciated as well

Another thing. The SSV line of wheeled skid steers underwent 7 years of development and testing before I even knew about them. So while they are relatively new to the market, the R&D that went into that machine was extensive. They can also be bought with hand and foot, or pilot controls.

cool, they have been getting popular around here, and the guys havent been having any problems

A tracked machine has a better tipping weight. I know you said you don't need tracks, but they are better than wheeled at everything except ice. They also don't tear the ground up as bad.

An enclosed cab is very nice, and comes with heat and A/C with cabin filters. Take a serious look at the SVL65, it is an impressive machine for 65hp.

Another SVL 75-2 here. I run it from 100 degree heat to -25 cold and it has never given me a single problem. Couldn't be happier with it. I just screw in carbide cleats in the winter and they run fine on ice for me.

let me ask you this, hand controls or like im used to, hands for motion control and feet for loader arm and bucket
I ran a bobcat for years withe the old style controls. I seriously think I would just quit if I ever had to use them again. Pilot controls take all of 30 seconds to get used to.

Reactions: MtnCreek
Caterpillar done

This would be my vote. I've never seen anything put up with abuse like a cat.

I think our tracked 279d was only $60k used though.

We have an 01 289B. It has been abused horribly. Factory battery lasted until 2016 and we were using it in ND winters. The hour meter broke before we ever did anything. It had the oil changed every few years. Final drives oil wasn't changed until the tracks broke in 2017. First time I changed the oil it was 2 years old, and had been running 60-80 hour weeks for at least a year. Pretty sure it's still on factory fill hydraulics.

Boss at the time wasn't big on maintenance. Now I know why most rental yards are using cat.

A tracked machine has a better tipping weight. I know you said you don't need tracks, but they are better than wheeled at everything except ice. They also don't tear the ground up as bad.

An enclosed cab is very nice, and comes with heat and A/C with cabin filters. Take a serious look at the SVL65, it is an impressive machine for 65hp.

how about tracks and linkage, is there a big maintenance cost, vs putting tires on rims, for a long time ownership?

There isn't really a track linkage on the Kubota. Track tension is adjusted with a grease gun, and as far as cost, tracks cost about $1000 per track. They should last at least 1000 hours unless you are on concrete or asphalt most of the time.

Cat all the way. I have 3 of them 2 289s and a 299. They are the best machines out their hands down in my opinion. I use them in excavation and landscaping. Track life is gonna be around 1000 hours mostly depends on what your running them in. I had an SLV 75. Absolutely hated it the whole time I had it. The only positive thing it had going for it was the large cabin. Kubota has a lot bigger cab inside. Im 6'5 270 I had no problems getting in and out of it. The cats are a little tight for me. The cat also had more power and the hydraulics are stronger in the cat. For what we do Cat was the better option for my companies. All of my equipment is cat from excavators to dozens etc. They just work and are tough.

Reactions: GrantB
FWIW, our CAT and Deere dealers will drop off a tractor for you to try for a day or two.

Here in WY, traveling 100 miles to the nearest dealer is common. Mobile services can be done as well, but only so much can be done in the field, and we charge at a higher labor rate.
Yes! I’ve paid that rate a few times. Lol!

The SSV65 or 75 are great skids. I currently am a Kubota technician and know those machines pretty well.

They're reliable, durable, and maintenance on them is fairly easy. All the filters are accessible, and most fluids can be drained from existing hoses.

Take a look at the tracked machines as well. The SVL65 is an impressive machine. Kubota also has some of the biggest cabs for comfort.

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

I have a problem with my skid steer an advice could help.
i bought a 2016 Kubota ssv65 at Ritchi Bros, the machine runs fine and but when i attached a brand new breaker and press the AUX it beeps 3 times and i got the triangle with the exclamation mark. the first day i used it the horn was working and the backup alarm but now it does not, do you have any idea what could be the problem?
Thanks

Reactions: 346ci