• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KY Gov signs law allowing concealed carry without permit or training

JG26_Irish

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2013
Morehead, KY
Gov Bevin just signed this bill into law yesterday.

Kentucky lawmakers have passed a bill backed by the National Rifle Association that will allow people to carry a concealed handgun without a concealed carry permit or required training.
The bill passed the state House on Friday after originating in the Senate and will go to the desk of Republican Gob. Matt Bevin. If signed into law, Kentucky will become the 15th state to adopt a permitless carry law, the NRA told the Lexington Herald-Leader.

The measure makes it legal for Kentuckians over the age of 21 who are able to legally possess a gun to carry a concealed weapon without a permit. Obtaining a concealed-carry permit currently requires a fee and training.
Supporters have lauded the measure as a win for gun ownership, while opponents balked at the dropping of mandatory training.

My 2 cents: I am a firm believer in the value of both training and practice but it was already legal to carry open without required training so I see no difference for concealed carry. As a responsible gun owner we all have the responsibility to know the law and where open or concealed carry is prohibited and we have our own responsibility to know how to safely operate our chosen carry weapon(s). We did not need the gov't to force us to do so. This is a good move for KY. WV did it a couple of years ago. However, to carry concealed outside the state we will still need the permit and mandatory training. It is good practice to keep a personal log that records every practice or training session you may have to document that you are a responsible gun owner who takes safety and proficiency seriously. I recently started logging the date, time, location and what type of practice was done.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
I think we all want responsible gun owners. 1000rds a year is only 2.7 shots a day. You will never be proficient with anything doing it 2 times a day and 4 times on Sunday.
I know many people with CCW permits who haven't fired 100 rounds in the last 5 years.
Personally when the time comes I think they will be fucked. They have built 0 muscle memory.
But after much stress about getting friends and family on board I finally figured out, NOT MY JOB.
I would love to see everyone get training and practice.
To quote a family memeber after me telling him to shoot more " but you're way into it"
My response was "its a life style, you're either in or your out"
In the end we have the freedom to do as we wish, it is not the government's job to get in the way of that.

I thought they passed a law on 9-17-1787 that covered it. Maybe we should show it to the Govt. :)

I would be willing to support a no training required concealed carry law if it included a provision than the gun owner had to have more than 50% of their teeth still inside their head.

I don’t recall the “teeth” clause on the 2A

Hell, Washington didn’t have any teeth....no guns for him I guess