• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

L.A. Mayor Bass: Lack of Consequences for Crime Isn’t Causing Retail Theft, ‘Things Like This Happen’ if There’s Profit

PatMiles

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017

On Friday’s broadcast of “The Issue Is,” Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass stated that the issue of retail theft in the city has “nothing to do” with a lack of consequences for crime in the city and “things like this happen” when there are profits.

Bass said, “Well, you know what, things like this happen when there [are] profits to be made, and law enforcement put the task force together that I’m supportive of, and it has a number of different agencies, the city attorney, the district attorney, etc., all at the table. And I will tell you that, just the other day, they made eleven arrests. And so, these are crimes that are significants. They are felonies. They are not misdemeanors. And one of the things that we need to look at though, rest assured, they are not selling $10,000 purses in poor communities. They’re selling those purses online. They’re selling those stolen goods online. And so, I believe, when you have a crime like that, all of the actors are culpable and need to be dealt with. And so, we need to look at the online sales of stolen property, because that’s what it is.”

Host Elex Michaelson then asked, “There are a lot of viewers that feel like there aren’t enough consequences for crime in Los Angeles. What do you say to those people?”

Bass answered, “Well, they especially focus on that with these retail crime. I think there [are] a lot of misunderstandings about that. These are felonies, and in some cases…these are crimes that do have major consequences. The reforms that people object to have nothing, nothing to do with these crimes.”

HILARIOUS!!!!

So, studies about mandatory sentencing have demonstrated that even severe punishment isn’t a deterrent to crime. This isn’t some new groundbreaking info. That is different from saying they should be ignored by the cops/prosecutors and she skips over that part of the discussion. Criminals still need to be apprehended, tried, and punished.

It’s interesting to me, though, that folks who say “we need to end the factors that make people want to commit crimes” never have suggestions for doing it.

Solution is for all the retail stores to close and leave any city that fails to prosecute shoplifting. Easy. But major corporations are too "woke" so they will raise prices at the other stores located in law and order communities.

Reactions: Sblzrd65
Solution is for all the retail stores to close and leave any city that fails to prosecute shoplifting. Easy. But major corporations are too "woke" so they will raise prices at the other stores located in law and order communities.
And...... that's the nice thing about consumers having buying choices. We can choose to not do business with woke corporations.

Will it "solve" the problem ? Probably not. Will it force woke corporations to feel the pain and perhaps re-think things ? Probably.

example; I refuse to buy anything from AB-Inbev, Target, Nike, Levi Strauss, woke a cola, Disney, Patagonia and many, many others. I've gotten along just fine without them.

And...... that's the nice thing about consumers having buying choices. We can choose to not do business with woke corporations.

Will it "solve" the problem ? Probably not. Will it force woke corporations to feel the pain and perhaps re-think things ? Probably.

example; I refuse to buy anything from AB-Inbev, Target, Nike, Levi Strauss, woke a cola, Disney, Patagonia and many, many others. I've gotten along just fine without them.
Which national grocery store, "big box" store, etc. do you frequent? Not sure we have a lot of choices that are not "woke". I try to frequent smaller, local businesses now as much as possible.

Which national grocery store, "big box" store, etc. do you frequent? Not sure we have a lot of choices that are not "woke". I try to frequent smaller, local businesses now as much as possible.
Absolutely. We have a small community market close by that gets the lion's share of our grocery money.

It's probably not practical to go 100% (unwoke), but when you know who the woke corporations are, it's easy to not patronize them. In the rare event where a woke retailer is the only place to buy a particular item, I have, on occasion, just not purchased that item.

Ther's no reason to make it easy for them to get away with bad behavior.

Reactions: TACC
So, studies about mandatory sentencing have demonstrated that even severe punishment isn’t a deterrent to crime. This isn’t some new groundbreaking info.

In Los Angeles there isn’t severe punishment for property crime. There is no punishment at all. As a result, people are free to steal shit to their hearts content.

Eventually, when they accrue a dozen or so cases, the courts might give them a couple days in jail.

Contrast this with how things were before criminal justice reform. Back then the first petty theft was a misdemeanor. The second was a felony, petty theft with a prior. This most likely resulted in a grant of probation which was soon revoked for subsequent crimes. And the thief ended up in prison. But they didn’t send you to prison that quickly. This was after dozens of convictions and several grants of probation. And all these criminals were going in and out of prison. They were kept busy by their participation in the system. And crime was low.

Today these people are not allowed to go in the system. They are purposely kept out. And they know it. They run around with calculators to make sure they stay under the felony threshold.

Karen Bass blames online sales as a profit motive for organized theft. Funny how these thefts weren’t happening before criminal justice reform.

In 2009 the state spent 10% of its annual budget on corrections. Today it’s 5%. And nobody goes to jail.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Sblzrd65
1693261140078.jpeg

I saw one city I believe it was Chicago is filing suit against Kia because their cars are easier to steal than others, and are stolen often, makes about as much sense as her reasoning.

Shoot thieves.

Nearest ditch, back of the head....

It won't be long before that concept "catches on" and things straighten out.

Choose.
Well, to be fair and accurate, corporal punishment is not always a deterrent. But I still believe in it. While a ditch solution may or may not stop others from stealing, it will stop this one bad egg from stealing anymore.

Like cockroaches. You step on them knowing that you will never get rid of all of them but you will get rid of this one.

Statistically, there will be people who learn from this and decide to NOT steal. That is also good but I see it as a happy side effect to the removal of the bad egg.

So, for effective corporal punishment, how many people has Dahmer or Gacy killed lately? Zero. Being physically incapable of any action whatsoever is also an effective prevention of bad acts.

IOW, I like the solution, I just don't expect it to be as much of a deterrent as we would like it to be. But still useful to rid ourselves if this particular roach.

This is what color blind voting gets you. Hope all the brick and mortar stores in these communities close down and see if these people can order online.

Absolutely. We have a small community market close by that gets the lion's share of our grocery money.

It's probably not practical to go 100% (unwoke), but when you know who the woke corporations are, it's easy to not patronize them. In the rare event where a woke retailer is the only place to buy a particular item, I have, on occasion, just not purchased that item.

Ther's no reason to make it easy for them to get away with bad behavior.

You know how hard it is to buy good avocados in LA? Walmart or Sams club are the choices...and Sams is an hour away.
Them bastards have got me by the avacados.....

• Haha
Reactions: Threadcutter308
Well, to be fair and accurate, corporal punishment is not always a deterrent. But I still believe in it. While a ditch solution may or may not stop others from stealing, it will stop this one bad egg from stealing anymore.

Like cockroaches. You step on them knowing that you will never get rid of all of them but you will get rid of this one.

Statistically, there will be people who learn from this and decide to NOT steal. That is also good but I see it as a happy side effect to the removal of the bad egg.

So, for effective corporal punishment, how many people has Dahmer or Gacy killed lately? Zero. Being physically incapable of any action whatsoever is also an effective prevention of bad acts.

IOW, I like the solution, I just don't expect it to be as much of a deterrent as we would like it to be. But still useful to rid ourselves if this particular roach.
While you may have some accurate statistical facts in there, one other point to ponder is the 'global' effect it would have on the society as a whole.
Less potential for 'baby-daddy'less children' (a WIN)
Less petty crime (a WIN)
Less cars stolen (a WIN)
Less break-and-enters (a WIN)
Less welfare recipients (a WIN)
Less homeless bums panhandling (a WIN)

So the premise REALLY carries potential. Potential benefit for society's and communities as a whole.

And it all starts and stops with 'a hole'.

Reactions: Ronws
While you may have some accurate statistical facts in there, one other point to ponder is the 'global' effect it would have on the society as a whole.
Less potential for 'baby-daddy'less children' (a WIN)
Less petty crime (a WIN)
Less cars stolen (a WIN)
Less break-and-enters (a WIN)
Less welfare recipients (a WIN)
Less homeless bums panhandling (a WIN)

So the premise REALLY carries potential. Potential benefit for society's and communities as a whole.

And it all starts and stops with 'a hole'.
It is also a matter of attrition. With less bad actors in the world, less bad things by humans are happening. The things you are talking about are also the result of less numbers. It's a mechanical solution, as I can see.

• Love
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I sat on the board of a non profit with the uber liberal (former) mayor of a major city. At first I was razzle dazzled by the bespoke suits, piercing eye contact and body language that exuded confidence and commanded respect. After a short while, I realized he wasn't an evil, globalist genius at all... he was just a retard with a nice suit and an uncanny ability to make people smile. The whole experience was mind blowing.

I sat on the board of a non profit with the uber liberal (former) mayor of a major city. At first I was razzle dazzled by the bespoke suits, piercing eye contact and body language that exuded confidence and commanded respect. After a short while, I realized he wasn't an evil, globalist genius at all... he was just a retard with a nice suit and an uncanny ability to make people smile. The whole experience was mind blowing.
You just described every single politician ever.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Oh...I see someone might think i live in Kommiforicate. I live in the other LA.

No no...not the one with Baton Rouge....the other, other LA.

Grow your own ;)

What Zone Do Avocados Grow Best In?

Because they are tropical or subtropical plants, avocados need a certain atmosphere to flourish well.

9 to 11 in the US are the greatest zones for producing avocados since they have a warm winter environment with temperatures between 60 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit (16 and 29 degrees Celsius).

The regions known for their commercial avocado production, include portions of California (like the North), Arizona, Texas, and Florida.

Growing avocado trees outside these zones may be more difficult, and more effort may be needed to ensure their survival.

Can I Grow An Avocado Tree In My Backyard?

Yes, it is possible to plant an avocado tree in your backyard, but it depends on several factors, such as climate and available space.

Yes. There are some kinds of avocado trees that have been known to suit colder temperatures you can choose to plant in LA.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
Grow your own ;)

What Zone Do Avocados Grow Best In?

Because they are tropical or subtropical plants, avocados need a certain atmosphere to flourish well.

9 to 11 in the US are the greatest zones for producing avocados since they have a warm winter environment with temperatures between 60 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit (16 and 29 degrees Celsius).

The regions known for their commercial avocado production, include portions of California (like the North), Arizona, Texas, and Florida.

Growing avocado trees outside these zones may be more difficult, and more effort may be needed to ensure their survival.

Can I Grow An Avocado Tree In My Backyard?

Yes, it is possible to plant an avocado tree in your backyard, but it depends on several factors, such as climate and available space.

Yes. There are some kinds of avocado trees that have been known to suit colder temperatures you can choose to plant in LA.

I'm having hard enough time with my citrus.
I'm now sticking strictly with kumquat and calamondins.

The only thing stopping me from slapping the shìt out of you, Karen, is that I’d get arrested if I did so.

Remove the possibility of arrest, Karen, and people will line up to slap the shìt out of you.

That‘s how crime works.

P

I'm having hard enough time with my citrus.
I'm now sticking strictly with kumquat and calamondins.

What?? I know people live a little north of LA and they grow lemons, no problemo

How about muscadines?

What?? I know people live a little north of LA and they grow lemons, no problemo

How about muscadines?
I'll guarantee you even if they have old trees, the freeze of Christmas '22 hurt hell out of them.
My trees were 3 years or under.
My grapefruit and one of my meyer lemons is coming back from below the graft. Itll be a citrus of some kind, but not what you had.
Already determined my grapefruit rootstock is trifoliate orange(bitter orange).

Reactions: kenny1773
Whenever I being to ponder what an idiot Bass is, my thoughts immediately go to the abject fucking imbeciles who voted for her...and that ponce Garcon.

• Love
Reactions: Ronws