• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision L3 MTM Black screen of death!

jwp6114

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2008
Newnan, GA
Has anyone ever seen this before. When I turn on the unit it doesn't power up to the normal screen all I see is a black parallel line across the main screen, unit will not power up properly.

Is there any kind of soft reset or is this unit going to have to go back for repair?

jamumu4a.jpg

Has anyone ever seen this before. When I turn on the unit it doesn't power up to the normal screen all I see is a black parallel line across the main screen, unit will not power up properly.

Is there any kind of soft reset or is this unit going to have to go back for repair?

jamumu4a.jpg

That appears to be shock damage to the display - from vibrations resulting from drop shock, sudden acceleration / deceleration of the unit from being mounted to a firearm, or other "hard knock" to the unit. I'll wager that your thermal core is working fine. If your MTM is the version with the output cable, you can quickly confirm this by connecting to your PC as outboard display.

Repairs will require factory or authorized repair center service.

For mounting to firearms, a shock hardened version of the Insight MTM is needed. Those can be identified by the dual, threaded mount holes (versus just one on the standard unit) on the underside

IR-V.

Mine did the same thing and is at insight for repairs right now. From what I understand there is a ribbon cable that has very fine wires that start to break. The only place to get the cable is insight. They charge a $150 fee just to look at it and diagnose the problem. Mine has been in their shop for a week but no price on repair yet should know soon.

I will add mine was never weapon mounted or dropped always carried in a padded case.

Just FYI I called insight today to check on mine they have had it since 01-14-14 and it is still waiting to be looked at. So don't expect a timely turnaround.