• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision L3Harris CNVD-LR UF WP 2376+ MIN FOM Now Available from TNVC!

Victor-TNVC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 5, 2007
    USA
    www.tnvc.com
    CNVD_LR_6-1791532.jpg

Based on the standard-issue AN/PVS-24 (M2124), the L3Harris CNVD-LR (Clip-On Night Vision Device – Long Range) converts an existing magnified day scope into a long range-capable night vision optic. The CNVD-LR attaches to M1913 Picatinny Rail in front of standard day scopes. Using a fast catadioptric lens, it gathers more light than its little brother, allowing it to provide crisp night vision images out to extended distances. The CNVD-LR can be easily attached and removed so the operator only needs to carry one weapon system for both day and night engagements. Clip-on sights offer other benefits such as allowing shooters to maintain established eye relief on their day scope and the ability to use it in front of a spotting scope as well.

The CNVD-LR uses an L3Harris Gen3 Unfilmed White Phosphor image intensifier tube with a minimum Figure of Merit (FOM – Signal to Noise Ratio x lp/mm Resolution) of 2376, one of the highest guaranteed minimum performance specifications currently available on the market. Coupled with its 68mm objective lens, it produces superior images at extended ranges. The CNVD-LR is categorized as a “long range clip-on,” putting it in the same category as the AN/PVS-27 and AN/PVS-26. Coupled with a high quality day scope, it can identify a moving human out to 1,800 meters. The L3Harris body housing has some very user-friendly interfacing. Focus is adjustment is accomplished with a top-mounted lever that is extremely easy to find and use in the dark. This design allows for incredibly fine adjustments. A standard rear-facing pull-knob provides on/off and gain adjustment. Basically, the controls are laid out for ease of use when the CNVD-LR is mounted forward of the day scope and requires little movement on the part of the shooter to reach.

The CNVD-LR is optimized for 8X-12X magnified optics. But, on a clear night, we were able to get the magnification up to 14X using a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15×50 scope. While the identification range of a moving human is about 1,800 meters, we found the recognition range (is the human friend or foe?) to be about 450 meters, give or take. Like other long range clip-on sights, recognition is accomplished through overall feature recognition (such as recognizing helmets, equipment, etc.). Facial recognition can be done at about 120-130 meters. Obviously, these distances are depending on the ambient lighting conditions and the quality of the glass in the day scope coupled with the CNVD-LR.

The CNVD-LR features a lightweight hybrid body housing comprised of high-impact polymer and aerospace-grade aluminum. It is lighter and smaller than other clip-on sights in its class. It is specifically designed to withstand repeated recoil of Medium-caliber weapon systems up to 7.62 NATO. The unit is powered by a single 3V CR123 battery, but comes with a conversion that allows it to be run on a single AA battery.

Get your HIGH FOM L3Harris CVND-LR here! https://tnvc.com/shop/cnvd-lr/

CNVD_LR_5-1791536.jpg

The description states capable of withstanding up to 7.62x51 recoil. I'd like to ask a couple of questions.
    1. Are all NV clip ons rated only to .308? Does the PVS 27 or PVS 30 have a higher recoil rating?
    2. Being that the cost of this is on par with the PVS 27 and PVS 30 offerings, can someone explain the benefits of this over the other 2?

The description states capable of withstanding up to 7.62x51 recoil. I'd like to ask a couple of questions.
    1. Are all NV clip ons rated only to .308? Does the PVS 27 or PVS 30 have a higher recoil rating?
    2. Being that the cost of this is on par with the PVS 27 and PVS 30 offerings, can someone explain the benefits of this over the other 2?

The 27 and 30 can withstand higher recoil ratings than 7.62. They are also substantially heavier and I suspect this is largely due to the hardening of the device.

The 24LR is a factory L3 unit, the others are not.

Weight. Focus control. 2376 min FOM.

The 27 and 30 can withstand higher recoil ratings than 7.62. They are also substantially heavier and I suspect this is largely due to the hardening of the device.

The 24LR is a factory L3 unit, the others are not.

Weight. Focus control. 2376 min FOM.
    I get it. I would wonder about a couple of things though...

Is the rating specific to a bolt gun or a large framed gas gun in .308? My AR10s or a SCAR is going to hit it a lot harder than a bolt gun. I will likely to be shooting 6.5 CM through it so I would think that is OK.

I also wonder about collimation. I have read some other threads that say it has a hard time with POI unless it is exactly lined up with the day optic. It is very susceptible to differences in angles. My AI has a 30 MOA rail. If the other threads are right, this would be problematic on an AI. The PVS 27 and 30 do not seem to be as susceptible to errors.

I get it. I would wonder about a couple of things though...

Is the rating specific to a bolt gun or a large framed gas gun in .308? My AR10s or a SCAR is going to hit it a lot harder than a bolt gun. I will likely to be shooting 6.5 CM through it so I would think that is OK.

I also wonder about collimation. I have read some other threads that say it has a hard time with POI unless it is exactly lined up with the day optic. It is very susceptible to differences in angles. My AI has a 30 MOA rail. If the other threads are right, this would be problematic on an AI. The PVS 27 and 30 do not seem to be as susceptible to errors.

As long as your rail is 30MOA from end-to-end, it’s still a straight line. Only if your scope is in an offset mount would the optical path not be straight.

Also, I haven’t heard about significant collimation issues with the 24LR. Is this something people are complaining about? I’ve never had a problem with any scope/mount.

I have had three CNVD-LR, and never had any colimitation issues nor recoil. I shoot my current one of a 6.5 CM ar model. By far thw easiest of the NV clip on to use. Also have a CNVD and it is the same.

As long as your rail is 30MOA from end-to-end, it’s still a straight line. Only if your scope is in an offset mount would the optical path not be straight.

Also, I haven’t heard about significant collimation issues with the 24LR. Is this something people are complaining about? I’ve never had a problem with any scope/mount.
    I have to check out if the rail is front to back or broken up on my AI

The collimation issues were discussed in this thread

It is specific gun to gun in my experience. @WillHugh didnt have any issues on his SPR when we put one on. But when i put it in on a Magpul Pro Chassis's NV bridge in front of scope with a 20MOA rail and a slight offset in bore heights, there definitely was a repeatable POA/POI shift. Running a PVS27 on the same setup with zero issues.

The image quality on the CNVD LR is pretty badass and the weight savings are awesome. But if you need to switch the clipon to different platforms that arent standardized, you will need to confirm your POI shift for each platform. Or opt for the pvs27/pvs30.

Just my 2 cents.

The image quality on the one @NHPiper and I used was unreal. No issues at all on my spr, and definitely a nicer unit to run on a light weight rig. My understanding is the collimation sensitivity results from the prisim being closer to the rear of the unit (hence the extra length of the cnvd). The tradeoff being it is less sensitive to focus distance.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up. Awesome to see them being offered for sale commercially.

Reactions: NHPiper
    But if you need to switch the clipon to different platforms that arent standardized, you will need to confirm your POI shift for each platform. Or opt for the pvs27/pvs30.

Just my 2 cents.
    The follow up question I would have is how repeatable is the shift? Does it change noticeably after firing a few shots or does it maintain a constant shift? What about removing and reinstalling it on the exact same rifle and position on the rail? Is the POI shift maintained when you do that?

So what's the difference between these, and the units the Military buys directly from L3?
    None and at all Sir. Plucked from the same Mil Spec line from L3 along with the same Mil Spec line of unfilmed WPT.

Thus long lead times we're in line behind Mil deliveries as well adding to unprecedented demand. Thank you for the questions.

The follow up question I would have is how repeatable is the shift? Does it change noticeably after firing a few shots or does it maintain a constant shift? What about removing and reinstalling it on the exact same rifle and position on the rail? Is the POI shift maintained when you do that?

Definitely a repeatable shift. No different than a shift from throwing a suppressor on a gun. Although who shoots unsuppressed these days? Hahaha

None and at all Sir. Plucked from the same Mil Spec line from L3 along with the same Mil Spec line of unfilmed WPT.

Thus long lead times we're in line behind Mil deliveries as well adding to unprecedented demand. Thank you for the questions.
    What are the expected lead times on these?