• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Labradar Accessories Setup Comments & Questions

Fire4EffectCA

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2019
I received my Labradar with battery and soft case and have the following comments and questions:

MK Machining Labradar Sight – Appears to be a well made product and fits perfectly on the Labradar.

Arkco Machine Products Quadbase – Nice product for those like myself that shoot from the bench. Arkco states that it can be left installed while stored in the soft case, but Labradar must have made the latest soft cases smaller because that combination will not work now.

This is not a big issue for me since I don't mind packing it in one of my other bags when I go to the range. What I would like to do is store the Quadbase with the legs extended and install it on the Labrador at the range. Does anyone know of any way to epoxy a plastic knob on the attachment cap screw so I don't have to bring a dedicated Allen wrench along to the range? See attached examples of knobs. I think there is enough room for clearance underneath.

Labradar External Battery – How are others using an external battery with the Labradar? When used with the Arkco Machine Products Quadbase I find I have to install the battery upside down due to the USB cable not clearing the bench surface in the opposite orientation. Since the battery has to be removed and unplugged before packing the Labradar away I wonder if it would be more convenient to just plug it in and leave it lose on the bench while in operation.

Resize-6232.jpg

Resize-Knobs-1.jpg

Resize-Knobs-2.jpg

Resize-6241.jpg

Hi - so, no way am I screwing the Arkco base to the unit w a bolt. I have a small ball head w ARCA clamp and base that I believe I got from Arkco w the quad. Works very well but yes, added $$.

I run their external power pack also. I no longer even try to use the Velcro to stick it on the unit after it falling off numerous time and finally bending the shit out of the mini USB of the supplied white cable. I just have a longer cable and lay the pack on bench or ground.

If I turn the unit off, then try to turn it back on after some minutes it won’t come on because the power bank went to sleep. If this happens to you, just press the button on the side of the bank and the display will come on and the unit will power up.

hope this is helpful.

Reactions: Fire4EffectCA
Hi - so, no way am I screwing the Arkco base to the unit w a bolt. I have a small ball head w ARCA clamp and base that I believe I got from Arkco w the quad. Works very well but yes, added $$.

I run their external power pack also. I no longer even try to use the Velcro to stick it on the unit after it falling off numerous time and finally bending the shit out of the mini USB of the supplied white cable. I just have a longer cable and lay the pack on bench or ground.

If I turn the unit off, then try to turn it back on after some minutes it won’t come on because the power bank went to sleep. If this happens to you, just press the button on the side of the bank and the display will come on and the unit will power up.

hope this is helpful.

Luckily I have not attached the battery with the Velcro strips. I just temporally attached the battery with removable double-sided tape. What is your concern about attaching the Quadbase directly to the Labradar? I do not need the ability to tilt the Labrador so I did not purchase the swivel head.

My Labradar sucks a big butthole, but the readings are good. I have to use every work around in the book to make anything actually go right, but when it does, it is invaluable. The MK machining sight helps, though.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Luckily I have not attached the battery with the Velcro strips. I just temporally attached the battery with removable double-sided tape. What is your concern about attaching the Quadbase directly to the Labradar? I do not need the ability to tilt the Labrador so I did not purchase the swivel head.
You do not need the ability to tilt the unit to get it aimed at the target? Wow, you shoot at the Bonniville Salt Flats or similar ;-)

I find the ball head from very helpful for aiming and I find it easy to just use an ARCA clamp w no worries about tools or bolts.

places where I shoot, tilt is required.

Also, dunno what @Choid ’s issue is w his, but mine works splendidly.

YMMV

I use an external battery pack from Anker or something, huge like 26800mAh, I hang it from the bottom of the tripod to act as a weight, I did not know about the sight, I will pick one up. As far as @Choid 's issue is but the only thing that does not work well with mine is Bluetooth.

Edit: just ordered the sight.
RE-Edit: Canceled the sight and printed one on my printer, works well.

Last edited:
You do not need the ability to tilt the unit to get it aimed at the target? Wow, you shoot at the Bonniville Salt Flats or similar ;-)

I find the ball head from very helpful for aiming and I find it easy to just use an ARCA clamp w no worries about tools or bolts.

places where I shoot, tilt is required.

Also, dunno what @Choid ’s issue is w his, but mine works splendidly.

YMMV

Another shooter brought his to the range with the flat plate. It worked fine.

Reactions: Baron23
I bought the labradar tripod, and have been pleased with how stable and adjustable it is. Much better than the original plate mount I got.

I bought a big usb battery that works great for numerous range sessions before needing a charge.

I had a friend 3d print me a sight for it. That’s a must have. As finicky as it is about aiming that was a huge oversight on Labradar’s part.

Arkco Machine Products Quadbase… I’ve had this since the beginning but just learned something. For the longest time running the Labrador on a concrete bench I’d get numerous, random “unable to track projectile” (or whatever the verbiage is.) I always thought it was an alignment issue and I’d meticulously aim the MK sight as accurately as possible. My best efforts would only yield a bar or two on the side scale.

Till I discovered the real issue - the Labrador was wobbling (ever so slightly) from the muzzle blast. (I set the radar abeam the action, so its not much blast)

Turns out the quad base was not perfectly flat on the bench and one of the four rubber feet needed shimming. A nickel under the foot solved the problem and I immediately started getting 4-5 bars with no failures to acquire. Sure wish I figured this out sooner.

So, might I suggest Arkco add adjustable, screw type feet to their already nice base?

Over the weekend in an e-mail to me Matt from ARK Machine recommended a QD mount. It was then I remembered I had a tilt QD head on a Manfrotto carbon fiber monopod I have not used in years and it works perfect. See attached photos. The Labradar just squeezes in the soft case with the MK Machining Labradar sight and Manfrotto QG plate installed.

If anyone is interested the tilt head is a Manfrotto 234RC.

Resize-6243.jpg

Resize-6257.jpg

Resize-6261.jpg

Last edited: