• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Labradar Accessories

Buck Wilde

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2020
FL
I'm thinking of getting a Labradar. Looks like not much comes with it. Are there any must-have accessories I'll wish I had ordered?

Only two things I keep reading that you should have is the sight from MKMachining and external battery pack. A good tripod won't hurt either.

Get one of these triggers with the magnetic mount and never use anything else! Power pack and a Mc Donald’s straw for sighting are just the things to round out the ensemble.

Echo all the suggests made. The labradar is an absolute sail and wind will blow it over and break without a solid tripod or base. Forget using AA batteries and get a lithium battery pack. Those two are my recommendations for priority purchase.

Optional nice to have:
MKMachining sight is helpful to line up the Labradar to target but a cheap alternative that my friend uses that works is a cheap drinking straw taped to the top. Recoil trigger is useful if you tend to use it for different firearm with different muzzle devices (brake, flash hider, bare, suppressor) or with low report/blast (rimfire) and want to save yourself the hassle of setup.

I like the quad base from Arkco Machine.

Any cheap battery pack off Amazon will work.

Get one of these triggers with the magnetic mount and never use anything else! Power pack and a Mc Donald’s straw for sighting are just the things to round out the ensemble.

Do not buy this trigger. These people stole the design of the guy here on the hide. I will try and find his user

As others have said get the original https://pietrecoiltrigger.com/ . If you shoot on a public range especially If it is a covered range this will make sure the Labrador only pick a up your shots. The battery pack is another must have. I have the MKMaching sight but used an old Bic pen body before I bought the sight. I am looking for the old flat base right now but will probably end up with the https://arkcomachine.com/shop/ols/products/quad-base-use-for-lab-radar . I use the padded case but am looking at buying a hard case that I can cut the foam to hold my Labradar, Kestral, and rangefinder.

Sounds like I was right to think it wasn't as simple as buying a chronograph. Thanks.

Sounds like I was right to think it wasn't as simple as buying a chronograph. Thanks.
Well, actually it is. But you asked for recommendations for accessories that will make your experience better and that’s what we’re giving you. You can buy just the basic unit and mount it on a tripod you already have, put a bunch of AA batteries in it and with an unsuppressed centerfire rifle it will work perfectly. But the $10 external battery will last 10x as long and can be recharged. The $50 recoil trigger will pick up every shot (even suppressed) and won’t trigger on nearby shooters. The plate mount won’t blow over on strong winds like a tripod (Achilles Heel of the Labradar is impact resistance). The MK sight is very nice but you can do without it, or use a straw. Definitely not needed at 100 yards, but very helpful at a mile. I used mine a long time without any of this stuff and did fine. These things just make it more handy.

I just made up a base. Toof a piece of plywood and drilled a hole for a bolt (1/4 if I remember correctly). Countersunk hole on the bottom for a flat finish and a nut on the top side to hold it in place. Made it the size of the pelican case i use for the labradar and it sits under the foam on the bottom. Never had an issue with wind knocking the unit over. I tend to use this when indoors or on a bench and tripod at other times. I also agree on the battery pack.

This thread is super helpful. Thanks to all who contributed their time and experience

I was on the range and it was windy, had to throw acouple of boxes of ammo on the wood base, and no issues.

Last edited:
Since we are talking accessories I will show what I use. I bought the soft cover from LabRadar and after reading all the delicate properties of the unit decided I wanted more. I had the padding in the LabRadar bag but nothing to soften a blow or something falling on it in my truck. So I bought a tool briefcase from Harbor Freight. It fits perfectly and will also hold the battery, cord, air gun trigger and tripod. I took all the padding except the top layer and took the tool holder out of the top lid. I don't think it is really an aluminum case it's some kind of fibreboard. But is'a $29.99
https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-6-in-x-13-in-black-aluminum-case-69318.html

B216E899-D29D-4D45-B8C1-BF07A956F647_1_105_c.jpeg
A530E136-5E4C-466C-B7D5-0A94950BD52F_1_105_c.jpeg

I did something along the same lines. I bought the hard plastic case online for around $40 and it came with the foam. The foam was perforated 3 in an inch so I just removed the ones I wanted to. I’m able to fit the stand plate for the Labradar underneath. I’m currently setting it up for the external battery addition. I love Labradar’s.
C2E87356-582D-41A1-9DA8-49EB12D6A3F2.jpeg
6744796D-3652-4F1A-A65C-467FE92037D3.jpeg

Reactions: MLS2GO
Do not buy this trigger. These people stole the design of the guy here on the hide. I will try and find his user
Is there evidence to support this? I'm totally on board if so, but...

Any sophomore EE student could design that in an afternoon and there are a hundred ways to do it. I used a $0.50 "shake switch" and a couple resistors to make mine. For more $$ you could use an accelerometer or a MEMS if you only wanted it to respond to acceleration in one direction. Or you could add some de-bounce circuitry to make it more reliable on a rimfire application.

Maybe there's more to the story, and please fill me in if so, but one seller might be using a simple switch and the other is using a completely different design.

My recoil trigger:
1616374177422.png

1616374580710.png

Reactions: Baron23

Any sophomore EE student could design that in an afternoon and there are a hundred ways to do it. I used a $0.50 "shake switch" and a couple resistors to make mine. For more $$ you could use an accelerometer or a MEMS if you only wanted it to respond to acceleration in one direction. Or you could add some de-bounce circuitry to make it more reliable on a rimfire application.

Maybe there's more to the story, and please fill me in if so, but one seller might be using a simple switch and the other is using a completely different design.

My recoil trigger:
View attachment 7587600

View attachment 7587612
PreCh, brother...preach (y)

My recoil trigger:
View attachment 7587600

View attachment 7587612
I’ll let the guy who made it speak to that if he chooses.

What case is that?
I did something along the same lines. I bought the hard plastic case online for around $40 and it came with the foam. The foam was perforated 3 in an inch so I just removed the ones I wanted to. I’m able to fit the stand plate for the Labradar underneath. I’m currently setting it up for the external battery addition. I love Labradar’s.View attachment 7587570View attachment 7587571

I've been looking for a case , but not quite sure what size I need yet. Wanted to store my battery pack, trigger, LabRadar, and LR tripod. I guess I could just lay it all on out and measure. Not sure if the Apache 3800 or 4800 would be better.

You will especially like my sight now. Just revised the design and started making it on my MJF! Very very nice and you would never guess it was printed.

tfw you buy your LR from MKMachining and they upgrade it shortly after you order, but before you even get to use it, haha.

What case is that?

I've been looking for a case , but not quite sure what size I need yet. Wanted to store my battery pack, trigger, LabRadar, and LR tripod. I guess I could just lay it all on out and measure. Not sure if the Apache 3800 or 4800 would be better.
I have mine in a 4800. LR, tripod, battery pack, trigger cables etc. Swapped out the factory foam for better stuff off amazon.

Reactions: tfc
Hi Tyler - I have your OG site and what are the improvements w the new one?

seem very similar w the only diff I can see being the config of the supporting structure for the peep hole.

thanks
bit less obstructed area around the center hole, and made on the new machine so it's just...nicer i suppose? functionally, not much different.

replying to j allen post when i get a bit to really look through things close. I shared the thread with my design guy though to look over

Reactions: Baron23
I was thinking of putting on one of those cell phone screen protectors on the display. The display measures 3 7/8" x 2 1/4".
I found a three pack for phones that measures 4" x 2.5". I'm going to give it a try. Maybe trim it if needed and offer up the other 2 if it works out?

The new quad pod is currently in stock.

What case is that?

It’s made by PureOutdoor and I bought it from Monoprice for about $40. I think it was on clearance..?

My recoil trigger:
View attachment 7587600

View attachment 7587612
Agree. These modules are available on amazon, ebay. Not hard to make one. I have one from JKL and it works great. I'd like to know how all the wise guys here know that the idea was stolen. These devices have been around for awhile.
The more appropriate question would be, who designed the circuitry? Used in multiple applications. So did all the people using the circuitry for various applications steal it too?
BTW, a primer tube works great for aiming. Gee, maybe I should take out a patent on that application. Get my drift?

You will especially like my sight now. Just revised the design and started making it on my MJF! Very very nice and you would never guess it was printed.

Just want to give credit to @Tyler Kemp on his new Gen LabRadar sight. Whatever magic he has going on with his 3D printer is pure vudoo. They absolutely do not look like any 3D printed plastic product I’ve ever seen, even the ones you wash or cure with chemicals. I can appreciate good work and want to send an unsolicited public compliment on a well-done job.

you can make a 12"x12" base for benchtop use super easy. use 3/4" plywood or melamine board. drill a 1/4" hole, countersink a hole to fit the head of a 1/4x20 thread pitch bolt, epoxy that in. wide and heavy enough the labradar won't accidentally blow or get knocked over, and can make with scrap wood in your garage/shop.

Just want to give credit to @Tyler Kemp on his new Gen LabRadar sight. Whatever magic he has going on with his 3D printer is pure vudoo. They absolutely do not look like any 3D printed plastic product I’ve ever seen, even the ones you wash or cure with chemicals. I can appreciate good work and want to send an unsolicited public compliment on a well-done job.
Thanks man!

We have all methods of 3d printing in house, and MJF is smoking good for replacing injection molded parts. Looks just as good, without the seam and infinite geometries available.

The new quad pod is currently in stock.
Just got done trying this out. Cut a section of 1 1/4" PVC conduit in 1/4ths (30"). A 6" bipod or very low bags may put you outside 18" so is something to keep in mind, 24-25" may be better.

It worked very well, Midway wide shooting mat fit under with the legs just past. Aiming was a breeze and nothing moved, picked up every shot with a brake. Everything was nice and out of the way.
The only "negative" is that it reduces tracking so you won't be consistently picking up velocity past about 50 yards. Having the unit closer to the gun seems to be better for that. So is another thing to keep in mind to set it up for what you need it to do.

Given you can use it without the PVC legs, has a wide stance and can still be aimed it is flexible. If I had to buy only ONE mount for a LabRadar this is it. Given it is now an "official" product it should be the first one new owners should look at.

Playing Devil's Advocate Why couldn't one use their tripod to achieve the same thing if one has one? I have not tried my bipod for doing this have any of you?

Playing Devil's Advocate Why couldn't one use their tripod to achieve the same thing if one has one? I have not tried my bipod for doing this have any of you?
You can try, some models can go wide or low enough, many can't. The ideal setup with a real tripod is one that allows the center shaft to go horizontal like a boom. But we are talking way more money that what the Quad Pod costs.

I've used a tripod for the Labradar. It works perfectly fine that way if you have the space to set it up. Reasons not to is if you have the tripod set up for a spotting scope, Kestrel, rangefinder, binos, etc. or that you don't want to bring one with. A base, mini-tripod, is lighter and far more packable.