• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LabRadar.. Crowded range, brakes, and cans? Sure.

hot loads B==D - - -
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
Houston, TX
Let me preface by saying I am not sponsored or promised anything by making this post.

I picked up a LabRadar a few months ago and started to quickly see how finicky it was based on MY usage. Yes, I am well aware a majority of LR owners DO NOT have issues.
I don't have private property to shoot on so here were my issues shooting at my public range:

1. Each shooting bench allows two shooters to sit side by side separated by a plywood wall.
2. Bench layout. If you're shooting with a can which I do 100% of them time you can't set the LR on the bench. It has to be on a tripod and set further away from the bench.
3. My (sample of one) LR would NOT pick up the shots. Yes, I've tried every position. 1" over and back, 1" over and 2" back, etc.. I mean I tried everything. No dice.
4. Required the use of the air gun mic. The mic would pick up shots from neighboring rifles and brakes causing it to register. Getting constant errors was super annoying. At this point I was ready to give up on the LR and get a Magnetospeed again.

I discussed my issues on another LR post and @quickdraw mentioned a guy he shoots with made a recoil sensor that triggered the LR. I was interested.. Low and behold @wildmanpiet introduced his triggering device. I didn't waste time and ordered one.

The trigger plugs into the LR's 3.5mm jack. The further away you mount it from the chamber, the less sensitive it will be so you can play with placement. I had my trigger velcro'd right outside of the chamber. Worked like a champ but on occasion I would trip it cycling my bolt but that was expected. I'm going to move the trigger away from the chamber on my next outings. With that said, it picked up all of my suppressed shots and obviously since it's not a microphone, shooters around me did not set it off with their brake blast.

This will also work with brakes just fine. No longer will you need to line up the muzzle to the side of the LR or in front of it or behind it. The trigger device does all the work for you and trips the LR based on recoil it senses.

Call me a happy camper.

IMG_0727.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to see you are getting good results. Now if only there was a way to acquire one without a FB or any other social media account.

A few people have sent funds and ordered w/o contacting me... PayPal thanks you for their cut. I am glad this is working for people, and I will get things out as soon as possible but nothing is going out at this point until AFTER Christmas. This is a side project for me so if your expecting 24/7/365 response this is not the widget for you. Time with the family right now is my priority.

If you want to see the videos on it:
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7nAoC5cEfdsq1xYQGFhhKDWc5ZtAd2of

Facebook post:

I don’t come here often so for those of you who are quite vocal about your lack of Facebook send a message here and I’ll get back to you when time permits.

Let me preface by saying I am not sponsored or promised anything by making this post.

I picked up a LabRadar a few months ago and started to quickly see how finicky it was based on MY usage. Yes, I am well aware a majority of LR owners DO NOT have issues.
I don't have private property to shoot on so here were my issues shooting at my public range:

1. Each shooting bench allows two shooters to sit side by side separated by a plywood wall.
2. Bench layout. If you're shooting with a can which I do 100% of them time you can't set the LR on the bench. It has to be on a tripod and set further away from the bench.
3. My (sample of one) LR would NOT pick up the shots. Yes, I've tried every position. 1" over and back, 1" over and 2" back, etc.. I mean I tried everything. No dice.
4. Required the use of the air gun mic. The mic would pick up shots from neighboring rifles and brakes causing it to register. Getting constant errors was super annoying. At this point I was ready to give up on the LR and get a Magnetospeed again.

I discussed my issues on another LR post and @quickdraw mentioned a guy he shoots with made a recoil sensor that triggered the LR. I was interested.. Low and behold @wildmanpiet introduced his triggering device. I didn't waste time and ordered one.

The trigger plugs into the LR's 3.5mm jack. The further away you mount it from the chamber, the less sensitive it will be so you can play with placement. I had my trigger velcro'd right outside of the chamber. Worked like a champ but on occasion I would trip it cycling my bolt but that was expected. I'm going to move the trigger away from the chamber on my next outings. With that said, it picked up all of my suppressed shots and obviously since it's not a microphone, shooters around me did not set it off with their brake blast.

This will also work with brakes just fine. No longer will you need to line up the muzzle to the side of the LR or in front of it or behind it. The trigger device does all the work for you and trips the LR based on recoil it senses.

Call me a happy camper.

View attachment 6990434
Greg was responsive to me thru Facebook messenger and I am expecting mine anyday. I did have a question as to how long the cord is? Thanks for the post, I'm super stoked to get this running

Greg was responsive to me thru Facebook messenger and I am expecting mine anyday. I did have a question as to how long the cord is? Thanks for the post, I'm super stoked to get this running
About 27" give or take.

Thanks, even better yet. Like you, most everything is suppressed.
If you need longer you can use a “headphone extension cable”. Or if someone wants a longer cable I can make a few the next production run. With the proximity for offset and such I didn’t see the need for a longer cable. I have the first one I ever made that is stupid long (6 feet or so) and it still worked.

Reactions: dave300
The benches at my range are a little on the short side. So much so that I need to purposely move my rifle back when I’m shooting so that it can trigger my LabRadar that’s st the edge of the shooting bench. If I push my rifle too far forward, it won’t trigger my labradar. Do you guys think this recoil trigger will allow me to shoot without having my rifle so far back on the bench? Normal shooting, my bipod is at the edge of the bench, but that is too far forward to trigger the labradar, so I scoot back

Look at his short videos on YouTube under Wildmanpiet, short and to the point. I think it’ll help you answer some of your concerns?

Thanks for the help guys! Ya, I watched the videos. I was thinking it would work, just wanted to make sure. Because of the short bench, there really only is a small window of where the muzzle can be in order to trigger it. Looks like I’m going to have to order one then

Reactions: Steel head
Greg's unit is great, as is he. Bought one a month or so ago and am happy across the board with the whole deal. Sadly, there is a 'guy' who seems to have copied Greg's device and then turned around and is selling it for a few bucks less. I decided to buy mine from Greg who came up with the original idea and reco that you do too. lg

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Greg's unit is great, as is he. Bought one a month or so ago and am happy across the board with the whole deal. Sadly, there is a 'guy' who seems to have copied Greg's device and then turned around and is selling it for a few bucks less. I decided to buy mine from Greg who came up with the original idea and reco that you do too. lg
I'll bet my support down the road and my asking price being "all in" makes it a better value. Unfortunately the world is not perfect and a few people have had issues but I believe I got them all squared away as quickly as possible and intend to offer support for the long haul. Thanks all for supporting the Idea Guy!

To make things easier for all ordering I just made a website for the little recoil trigger.
I literally ordered this last saturday morning and it was at my office Monday morning. From Las Vegas to South Carolina. Used it today and works perfect as advertised. Thanks a million.
Merry Christmas to all.

Robby

Reactions: wildmanpiet