• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LabRadar Issue

NORCAL50

Not a Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2021
California
So, I have a LabRadar setup with the JKL recoil trigger. It works great, and I've had zero issues with it tracking every single shot.

The problem is it tracks more shots than I take at both an empty range and when shooters are spaced out 12' for COVID (every other table).

Initially I thought it was muzzle blast from shooting prone over gravel, despite the radar unit being in front of the muzzle ~6" (because I have a rear facing brake.)

But then I took it to a range w/ tables on a cement slab. Same issue.

It will register all of my shots, all within a couple FPS of 2,700 and then I get some random readings ranging from 0 to 1,827fps to 2,400fps. These readings do show up after I get a solid true velocity. I have my trigger level set to 1.

Looking at the data, at each distance step my velocities will look something like: (0,0,0,0,0) and some will look like (1984,0,0,1984,1984). Others (1886,1886,1858,1837,0,1837) and I have absolutely no clue what it is picking up. If I tap on the trigger, and there is nothing moving in the beam it will just say something along the lines of "unable to track projectile" and not record the projectile (at least I don't think it does.)

What am I doing wrong, or is there something wrong with the radar? Thanks!

***FORGOT, I have another problem :). So Edit: I used to be able to connect the mobile app to it, (as in once) and now I can't. I get communication error. I even reinstalled the app,turned bluetooth on and then off again, restarted phone, cleared data for the app, turned on airplane mode and left only bluetooth on, made sure location permissions were set to on manually in settings, made sure it wasn't armed. FW 1.2.4***

**EDIT: I fixed the bluetooth connectivity issue with my Samsung S10 by performing everything above^ and then downgrading the firmware to 1.1.5, then upgrading it to 1.2.4. I had to use a different browser (Edge) to get the firmware to download from the labradar website, as their mobile app isn't the only thing that is broken.**

Last edited:
Are false triggers from you cycling the action. Try using a higher trigger level setting on the LabRadar or move the sensor further forward (like on the bipod).

Reactions: themightytimmah
Are false triggers from you cycling the action. Try using a higher trigger level setting on the LabRadar or move the sensor further forward (like on the bipod).
I will definitely try a higher trigger level next time I go as I already have the sensor on my bipod. Will report back with an edit to the post if it works. Thanks!
Out of curiosity, what trigger level are you (or any of you guys) using with your JKL?

I have the same setup and was having the exact same issue, except I knew it was from cycling my bolt. Before I thought about messing with sensitivity, I would just very carefully cycle the bolt. For what it’s worth, setting 3 did it for me.

I have the same setup and was having the exact same issue, except I knew it was from cycling my bolt. Before I thought about messing with sensitivity, I would just very carefully cycle the bolt. For what it’s worth, setting 3 did it for me.
Good to know. I tried setting 2 and ran out of ammo. I'll give 3+ a try next time I go out.

As others said ... it's picking up the bolt action, rifle movement, etc. Increase the Trigger Level setting. Mine stopped doing this at a setting of "3" with the JKL Recoil Trigger.

1618224446772.png

Reactions: 6.5SH and skyrep
So, I have a LabRadar setup with the JKL recoil trigger. It works great, and I've had zero issues with it tracking every single shot.

The problem is it tracks more shots than I take at both an empty range and when shooters are spaced out 12' for COVID (every other table).

Initially I thought it was muzzle blast from shooting prone over gravel, despite the radar unit being in front of the muzzle ~6" (because I have a rear facing brake.)

But then I took it to a range w/ tables on a cement slab. Same issue.

It will register all of my shots, all within a couple FPS of 2,700 and then I get some random readings ranging from 0 to 1,827fps to 2,400fps. These readings do show up after I get a solid true velocity. I have my trigger level set to 1.

Looking at the data, at each distance step my velocities will look something like: (0,0,0,0,0) and some will look like (1984,0,0,1984,1984). Others (1886,1886,1858,1837,0,1837) and I have absolutely no clue what it is picking up. If I tap on the trigger, and there is nothing moving in the beam it will just say something along the lines of "unable to track projectile" and not record the projectile (at least I don't think it does.)

What am I doing wrong, or is there something wrong with the radar? Thanks!

***FORGOT, I have another problem :). So Edit: I used to be able to connect the mobile app to it, (as in once) and now I can't. I get communication error. I even reinstalled the app,turned bluetooth on and then off again, restarted phone, cleared data for the app, turned on airplane mode and left only bluetooth on, made sure location permissions were set to on manually in settings, made sure it wasn't armed. FW 1.2.4***

**EDIT: I fixed the bluetooth connectivity issue with my Samsung S10 by performing everything above^ and then downgrading the firmware to 1.1.5, then upgrading it to 1.2.4. I had to use a different browser (Edge) to get the firmware to download from the labradar website, as their mobile app isn't the only thing that is broken.**
Have you resolved the low velocity readings issue? I have had some similar issues WITHOUT cycling the bolt or other shooters on platform. all 3 of us watched a 2013 velocity mysteriously appear on screen.

Have you resolved the low velocity readings issue? I have had some similar issues WITHOUT cycling the bolt or other shooters on platform. all 3 of us watched a 2013 velocity mysteriously appear on screen.
It is a false trigger, try a higher trigger level.

IF this is happening without even touching the gun and no other concussion from nearby shooters contact whoever you bought the trigger from, is a possible short or a bad shock sensor.

FWIW the component sensors themselves are available in fast, medium and slow; this corresponds to the stiffness of the spring inside the sensor. I can set the fast ones off just from hand tremor alone. Given these are mechanical action inside there is some variance on much it takes to make them trigger.

Changing the sensitivity did solve my issue.

Changing the sensitivity did solve my issue.
Thanks. I find that interesting, as I thought if the external triggering device was active, it would override the concussion sensor on the LR.

Thanks. I find that interesting, as I thought if the external triggering device was active, it would override the concussion sensor on the LR.
The factory air gun trigger is a microphone. The recoil triggers are basically a spring around a rod that makes momentary contact.
Adjusting the trigger level for either just sets the threshold of what current is passed is either noise to be ignored or a signal to be accepted.