• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LabRadar my take

RetiredChief

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2021
Newport News Va
Eval LabRadar

Yes, the labRadar has some problems. They being: 1) error – “Acquisition error: could not track the

projectile” 2) Vo is Way Off i.e. 4000+ ft/Sec, or way Low and 3) Vo appears correct, BUT is slightly low, or High, i.e. say all the shot except one are within ± 10 ft/Sec with the on being ±50 ft/sec. This one could be correct, but could also be INCORRECT. In (2) and (3) It will result in incorrect SD, average, and Min/Max.

I also noted when looking at individual track data – On a few of the points the bullet would INCREASE in velocity. Example: 26.91 yds V = 2657 ft/sec and at 27.8 yds V= 2663 ft/sec Picked up 6 ft/sec, Must have been ONE heck of a tail-wind gust – LOL. No explanation!

Case 1. Most likely cause is alignment or false triggering (at range with multiple shooters). False triggering can normally be reduced by reducing the sensitivity. Alignment – Good alignment with the target can be a pain using the “Notch”. Most common method is using a “Soda Straw” I find that a 3->4 dollar 6 inch x 3/16 inch metal tube (From Lowes) works better. Throw in some epoxy and wood for 10 bucks and you can mount it for more consistency in aligning the LabRadar. Another approach is using a scope. If you have a “cheap” scope on-hand for about 10-> 15 dollars you can mount it.

Case 2 & 3. First off, While the manual says that in triggered mode Vo is measured, I believe it is Calculated. If you look at individual track data you will see VO and the next reading will be 6 -> 7 milliseconds (approx. 5->6 yard) latter followed by measurements in interval of 1 milliSecs. You cannot measure what you cannot see and the bullet does not enter the radar beam until it is 5+ yards in-front of the barrel (6 in side separation from side of unit.

In the case where the reported VO definitely incorrect look at the farther out data, you will see that it falls back, and is in-line with the other shots. Simply extrapolate and change the Vo and recalculate SD, average (See Case 3)

In case 3 the reported Vo is reasonable, but higher than the average of all the other shots. Example:

Shot IDV0V10V25
1​
2722​
2697​
2663​
2​
2772​
2723​
2686​
3​
2745​
2721​
2685​
4​
2735​
2713​
2680​
SD
21.2​
11.8​
10.7​

As you can see Shot #2 Vo is much higher than 3 and 4, BUT is very close to 3 and 4 at 10 and 25 yards. I would say that shot #2 Vo should be approx. 2745. If you change Shot #2 Vo to 2745, SD would be 10.9 – IN-line with calculated SD at 10 & 25 Yards

Case (1). My method of alignment:

Attachments

• P1000710.JPG
    P1000710.JPG
    461.8 KB · Views: 73
  • P1000709.JPG
    P1000709.JPG
    467.6 KB · Views: 74
All the chronos have their pluses and minuses. I do like the labradar for its versatility but just like you said, using it at a public range with other shooters can be problematic where the magnetospeed doesn’t have that problem, however, the MS is not quite as versatile as the labradar without numerous accessories and additional setup and changeover time. Both have their place. I swapped from the MS v3 to the labradar but also picked up a MS sporter and use both interchangably as the area and gun I’m shooting dictate. I like your explanation on the velocity changes at distance, makes good sense

All the chronos have their pluses and minuses. I do like the labradar for its versatility but just like you said, using it at a public range with other shooters can be problematic where the magnetospeed doesn’t have that problem, however, the MS is not quite as versatile as the labradar without numerous accessories and additional setup and changeover time. Both have their place. I swapped from the MS v3 to the labradar but also picked up a MS sporter and use both interchangably as the area and gun I’m shooting dictate. I like your explanation on the velocity changes at distance, makes good sense
I should have stated - yes I'd buy it again.

I use a public range and have had VERY FEW problems, Yes one-in-a-blue-moon some one else will trigger my LabRadar. As for set up 1) two screws to clamp my base. If using a rifle with muzzle brake, my base will have the shield install before leaving for the range. takes 4 screws -2 Min for the two screws holding the base to the bench. 2) Mount the Labradar 1 Min 3 Align the labradat to target - 2, 3 Min at the most 4) Plug in the battery, power on, arm when ready to shoot. Range opens at 0900. I get there between 0830 and 0845. Usually I have 5+ minutes waiting for the "All Clear"