• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report LabRadar or?

LakuNoc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2018
Hello guys is there anything out on market better than Labradar?
Thank you

In my experience .. the Labrador has been the best in its price range for what I do. I didn’t care for the magneto speed or the cheap box

Reactions: LakuNoc
Sometimes I like the Labradar over the magnetospeed.
Sometimes I like the magnetospeed over the Labradar.

Those are the only two I’d bother with now.
thanks for input

LR is the best I've found, it's not perfect, but pretty damn good.

I have found the Labradar to meet my needs. As others have said, it is not perfect but it is the best I have found.

The labradar is the best available. It still sucks (confusing interface, buttons don’t always work, tiny display, useless bay for AA batteries, garbage iPhone app, sometimes fails to track), but it’s better than anything else around, especially if you get the accelerometer trigger.

Never regretted buying mine. (Once I figured out it doesn't work well under overhead baffles?)
Try using the low-power setting. I had trouble getting reliable readings at standard power on one somewhat cluttered range; the problem pretty much disappeared when I used the reduced power mode.

Reactions: Jim Hammer
I have a Labradar and a Magnetospeed. I use the Labradar much more often. It's great to use during load development. You can work up loads and have velocity, ES, SD readings for everything, without any effect to group size. I use the flat base with mine and had some initial setup issues, but once I figured out how to aim it and set the sensitivity, it's been very reliable. Sometimes we shoot in the desert, and the ground isn't very flat. It's nearly impossible to use it in that position without mounting it to a tripod. If we are just confirming velocity and aren't worried about group size or poi, the MS works a little better in that scenario.

Reactions: Kbh and LakuNoc
Just ordered a new Labradar for less than $450 today. I've been using my Caldwell Chrono for a few years now with no issues but wanted more advanced features and convenience.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the lower power "EU" spec LabRadar to the full power US version?

I can get the low power one readily, been pondering going to the bother of getting hold of a full-blooded model.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the lower power "EU" spec LabRadar to the full power US version?

I can get the low power one readily, been pondering going to the bother of getting hold of a full-blooded model.
If you are in the US, you get both power levels, with standard (high) level being the default. It's described in the manual. Page 11 shows:

TX Power(US, Canada, Australia/New Zealand models only)

Select the LabRadar transmitting power. (Standard or Low).

While Standard power offers a longer range measurement range, the Low power mode can be useful and perform better on shorter or indoor shooting ranges and on ranges where object create signal reflections. Due to foreign government restrictions, the European Union model is restricted to the Low power setting.

When using labradar, have anyone of you experienced variations in readings when you are shooting with a suppressor?
Or in other words, does using a suppressor affect the readings of the Labradar?

Magneto has my heart. The LB is full of issues I don't care to deal with and the price doesn't look right when factored in. Big, clunky, easily breakable and doesn't do anything the MS can't.

Reactions: striped1
I've had good experiences with both. Unfortunately, I have had issues with the Labradar where the MagnetoSpeed has still been flawless. One thing to look at as well is if you shoot in the cold, the Labradar doesn't like to work as well as the MagnetoSpeed. Just my personal experiences.

Magneto has my heart. The LB is full of issues I don't care to deal with and the price doesn't look right when factored in. Big, clunky, easily breakable and doesn't do anything the MS can't.

Take a few rifles, a wheel gun, semi auto pistol to the range and get numbers for them all and don’t touch the unit other than to change the velocity range on the unit and start a new string.

Different strokes, MS would be a pita for me.

I've had good experiences with both. Unfortunately, I have had issues with the Labradar where the MagnetoSpeed has still been flawless. One thing to look at as well is if you shoot in the cold, the Labradar doesn't like to work as well as the MagnetoSpeed. Just my personal experiences.

Shoot all winter long here in south central AK, works great for me down to single digits, after that screw it im staying in. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: lead.rain
Shoot all winter long here in south central AK, works great for me down to single digits, after that screw it im staying in. 🤷‍♂️

I don't disagree. Labradar does state "Operating Temperature range (15°F to 110°F)". I have had it work in colder, but just thought I would mention it. I noticed the one day we were out shooting in 1°F and it wasn't happy. Then again, what is in that temperature haha! That day the MagnetoSpeed won.

Reactions: Shootnwrench
I have a Labradar and a Magnetospeed. I use the Labradar much more often. It's great to use during load development. You can work up loads and have velocity, ES, SD readings for everything, without any effect to group size. I use the flat base with mine and had some initial setup issues, but once I figured out how to aim it and set the sensitivity, it's been very reliable. Sometimes we shoot in the desert, and the ground isn't very flat. It's nearly impossible to use it in that position without mounting it to a tripod. If we are just confirming velocity and aren't worried about group size or poi, the MS works a little better in that scenario.
Do you find the two give you the same or extremely close velocities? I searched for a side by side comparison but didn't find anything on here. I use Mag V3 and have no reason not to trust the velocities, SD, etc. That's really all I use it for when developing loads. Thanks

This seemed they were close

Do you find the two give you the same or extremely close velocities? I searched for a side by side comparison but didn't find anything on here. I use Mag V3 and have no reason not to trust the velocities, SD, etc. That's really all I use it for when developing loads. Thanks

They are extremely close. Setup and aiming the labradar is a little more finicky. Once you get the hang of it, it’s very convenient. If I had to choose one, it would be the labradar.

I did a limited test when I had both for a spell and they were within like 4 fps difference average between the two.

Reactions: Steel head
I love my Labrador, but the mobile app is buggy and I find it hard to use with suppressors I need to buy the recoil trigger

I did a limited test when I had both for a spell and they were within like 4 fps difference average between the two.
I’ve compared my sporter to a magnetospeed a few times and they were even closer than that for me.
Both have advantages and disadvantages.
I like both and trust both.

im in the same boat.

MS over the Labradar all day long.

I had a LR for a year and broke it. My MS was thrown everywhere for the last 6 years and work flawlessly.

I run the MK mount and all combined it’s still cheaper than a properly outfitted LR.

I don’t want or care of getting data up to 100 yards, I don’t want to have to carry a tripod or mount setup, I don’t want it to take 15-30 min to setup so it work properly, I don’t want to mess with a stupid interface. LR battery is terrible during winter.

The MS is proven, simply more sturdy, works every time good or bad weather , accurate and 10x faster to setup without extra BS to make it more expensive.

Reactions: LastShot300