• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LabRadar powering off by it self

missed

nothing
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2013
TEXAS
Has anyone else experienced there Lab radar powering off all by itself? Mine just started doing this when powered by USB or brand new AA batteries.

Mine goes into screen saver mode after 90 seconds(set in the screensaver settings).

Is yours shutting down completely? Which usb power supply are you using?

Last edited:
It is actually shutting down. It only does it when it's armed also. It will stay on forever not armed.

I am using the same Anker 20k mah pack that I have been using for the last 4-5 years.

The last 2 years the LabRadar has only been used for archery.

It's doing the same with alkalines.
It's almost like something is loose, it heats up and looses connection when armed and consuming more power. Then it will turn back on, I can most of the time get one shot off and it dies again.

We're there any changes made with firmware updates?

Last edited:
No haven't updated the firmware in years. I'm thinking about doing that and factory reset it. Since it only does it when it is armed that makes me think there is a component or connection failing. The last couple years it lives on its arm on the side of the archery range lane in the shop. Climate controlled all year.

Reactions: fireflight
I've found the power port for the external battery on the labradar to be problematic occasionally. I've had mine shutdown and have to move the mini usb a little left or right to power it back up. At some point the connection will probably need to be replaced

Mine did similar to above^^ when using it for archery…seemed like at random times It would trigger on an arrow, it would shut down. Sometimes it would do it 3-5x in a row, but I could always restart or wiggle the plug or change the power settings and it would work eventually.

I can’t remember it ever happening in rifle mode tho, I just switched it back for a rifle a couple weeks ago and it worked fine first try

The magnetic USB adapters work great for the LR and reduce the wear and tear on the ports.

Attachments

• 20230302_080833.jpg
    20230302_080833.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20230302_081007.jpg
    20230302_081007.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20230302_081356 (1).jpg
    20230302_081356 (1).jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Reactions: chiroz
Mine did similar to above^^ when using it for archery…seemed like at random times It would trigger on an arrow, it would shut down. Sometimes it would do it 3-5x in a row, but I could always restart or wiggle the plug or change the power settings and it would work eventually.

I can’t remember it ever happening in rifle mode tho, I just switched it back for a rifle a couple weeks ago and it worked fine first try
I'll try that when I get back to the shop this afternoon! That sounds exactly like what mine is going. Wonder if there is some bug associated with the archery setting. When I fired it up the other day I changed it to archery setting which I thought was weird. I haven't used it on guns in quite a while. This just did start up, we track arrow speeds on the target bows across the year as it is showing to be a better indicator of string life.

As for power input I'm experiencing this with the 6 AA batteries and the USB pack. USB mini sucks. I keep thinking about opening it up and add another 5V power connection with it's own 5V voltage regulator so I can use any source from 5-24vdc.

I'll try that when I get back to the shop this afternoon! That sounds exactly like what mine is going. Wonder if there is some bug associated with the archery setting. When I fired it up the other day I changed it to archery setting which I thought was weird. I haven't used it on guns in quite a while. This just did start up, we track arrow speeds on the target bows across the year as it is showing to be a better indicator of string life.

As for power input I'm experiencing this with the 6 AA batteries and the USB pack. USB mini sucks. I keep thinking about opening it up and add another 5V power connection with it's own 5V voltage regulator so I can use any source from 5-24vdc.
Missed,

If you want to install a more robust external power jack here are the instructions
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/sloppy-input-usb-port-on-labradar.6960363/post-9604896

I use a DC/DC voltage regulator between the Li-ion battery and the radar. It's set to 5V output to match the USB slot. I use a 2S3P made out of 6x 18650 batteries and that works well without any fear of running out..

Last edited:
Reactions: missed
Thanks! I'll check it out. My LabRadar is going back for a new board. When the radar fires and is actually tracking something it shuts it self down.

I'll check out that post, I have been thinking about a similar setup with a 2S lipo and an XT60 connector on the LabRadar. I have plenty of 2S lipo batteries and XT 60 connectors.

I was also going to look at what DC -DC converter is in the Alkaline battery circuit. May be able to just use it.

Missing,

Like you, I have a stack of Li rechargeables lying around from other projects. May as well use them for the radar.

Note, the internal 6xAA battery bay is wired at the factory to 3S2P, so 4.5V total. They don't use a voltage regulator that I can see. This 4.5V is close to the international 5V standard going in the Micro USB slot. Labradar declined to tell me the voltage range when I asked but it's safe to say it's around 4.5-5V, and not much more.

I say 'not much more' because there's online discussion of some owners frying their radars by introducing higher than 5V. Some commercial Lithium power packs have a range of available voltages: e.g. 5V, 9V, 12V. Labradar's advice here is to only buy their external power pack, which makes sense as they want to make money. But, if you control what power goes in, it's a non-issue. I've been using a DC/DC regulator set at 5V for a couple of years now without issue.

Thanks again!

Once I read your post again after I replied I saw that you had the battery configuration in there. I have some other PCB's that I need to get printed so I will stack some more regulators on there also. I wish I could have got it sent back this week, but never got back in touch with Labradar to get the RMA and shipping information. I have been using the same 5V battery pack on mine since I got it, which I was one of the early ones. Hopefully it is just the main board has died in mine, the last few years it has just been in the shop on the archery range. He said there could be some issues using it in a metal shop building. Lots of flat metal walls and sheetrock walls to bounce the radar signal off of. I want to get the external power setup done before it ships out so I will not have to open it back up when it is under its warranty period with the new board.