• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lack of elevation to zero

paperairplane

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2010
WV
Everything purchased new to set up this rifle.

Remington 700 SPS Tac in 308, scope is Nikon Buckmaster 6-18*40 MD SF, base is 1 piece Leupold with dove front, windage rear.

To zero the scope at 100 yds I have to use all the available elevation in the scope.

It seems a shim in the rear would correct the issue. However, if there is an issue with the receiver I would prefer to diagnose that first. What are other options - would a 20 or more MOA base be a better option.

Gun is shooting well and zero is good, but I am not at all happy with lack of vertical adjustment required to get there.

Re: Lack of elevation to zero

Bad things tend to happen when you get your adjustments beyond the middle 20% to zero your scope. It is generally a sign of a larger issue. The erector spring (in most cases) will behave differently than it was intended to when maxed out as your zero. Leaning on the spring occasionally for a long shot is okay but I would not want my zero to be there.

I would change rings and bases first as one of them is usually the culprit.

Re: Lack of elevation to zero

Contacted Leupold - they sent me some shims at no charge. Took everything apart, put 2 shims under rear of mount. Re-assembled, centered reticle, bore site was almost dead on without using any scope adjustment.