• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ladder Test- Hide Input wanted on the next step

spife7980

Luchador
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Central TX
So I already have a load developed for this barrel for awhile now... I know what shoots good out of my barrel.

But I wanted to see what the hide would do and see how and then hopefully I can load it up and provide the results.

So its a 6xc criterion using 105 rdfs at 2.120 ogive via hornady comp which is .020 off the lands via wheeler method and H4350 weighed to +/- .02gr via autothrow, shot it at 500 yards. Started at 70 degrees at 11am and finished at 85 degrees at 1pm. Wind gradually picked up through out the test as is evidenced by the target. Speed gathered via labradar, first shot I forgot to arm it so... thats on me.

So yall tell me what to test for this next week and how (and why you think so) : OCW vs ladder, 100 vs 500, powder vs depth and so on.

Disclaimer, this batch of brass I am using to test only consists of 24 pieces, my over flow from my regularly used pieces so I am limited by just how much I can do at once. (8) 3 shot groups, (6) 4 shot groups (2) 12 shot ladders etc.

Ill be processing the brass tomorrow but Ill drag my heels so that we have time for input before I

Last edited:
I’d certainly look a something in the 39.1 to 39.4 area.

I recently did a similar test and my graph looked very similar to yours. I shot some groups in the middle of the flat spot today.
ES and SD were quite good, accuracy was ok but at a speed I like.
I’m going to play with seating depths a bit more.
It’s consistently less than MOA but I’d it like a bit better.

Reactions: Changed
I think you should try one of these chronographs... THEYRE SO TOTALLY AWESOMENESS

In all seriousness, it looks to me like 37.9, 38.2, 38.5, 38.8 have a very narrow vertical dispersion when compared to the upper end velocity groups.

Id be looking at these areas 39.1 - 39.4 and 39.7 - 40.0. However 2 rounds really isnt a good sample size. I'd run 39.0 through 40.0 in .2 increments. Do it with 3 round groups each to see if the two nodes are still there. If you still have two node flat spots than load up 10 in the middle of each and pick the one with the best sd.

You can then fine tune with seating depth assuming you know your headspace.

Also are these ELD-X OR ELD-M?

Reactions: Changed
I really don't like this test. I know alot of people believe in it.
Like everyone else, according to the chart, you have a "flat" spot
at 39.1-39.4 I like to let the target talk to me. You have less
vertical with the 40.0 I would shoot those two with 3-4 rounds
and not let the temp change much. It went up 15 deg. but more important,
how long were the first round to the last rounds in the sun or heat.
Try to control the little variables.
Try 39.0, 39.2 and 39.4 then 39.8, 40.0 and 40.2
Thats what I would do. My 2 cents

I do this same kind of load development. I would load 5 at 39.3, if you are getting a really good SD and ES, then I would stick with that and just adjust seating depth until I find what the barrel likes the best.

I would use 39.1 based on target and graph. I would load 5 identical to ladder load, then adjust seating depth a bit so 5 more for each adjustment but the horizontal looks very good as is for 500 yards IMO. You could spend time in the 39.1 to .4 range, in the past I would have looking for the load, but life's time limits and experience have driven me to KISS load development. 20 shots known and 40 shots unknown cartridge. Latest project 300WM 175 Edge TLR.

Attachments

• 20190309_154324.jpg
    20190309_154324.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

I recently did a similar test and my graph looked very similar to yours. I shot some groups in the middle of the flat spot today.

What exactly do you think I should do in the 39.1-39.4 area?

In all seriousness, it looks to me like 37.9, 38.2, 38.5, 38.8 have a very narrow vertical dispersion when compared to the upper end velocity groups.

So how do you want me to look into those areas?

Id be looking at these areas 39.1 - 39.4 and 39.7 - 40.0. However 2 rounds really isnt a good sample size. I'd run 39.0 through 40.0 in .2 increments. Do it with 3 round groups each to see if the two nodes are still there. If you still have two node flat spots than load up 10 in the middle of each and pick the one with the best sd.

You can then fine tune with seating depth assuming you know your headspace.

Also are these ELD-X OR ELD-M?

I completely agree with you on this exercise not being adequate. Thats really why Im doing it, Im wanting everyone to have a part in it and realize that its going to take more to get a good load. That said it doesnt necessarily have to be wrong either... Ive already done all the testing before, Im just trying to document it as a collective exercise(?)
3 round groups: OCW style at 100? Or 500?
Headspace doesnt have much to do with seating depth. Head space is .002 over go. That doesn’t tell you anything about where the lands are in relation to the bullet, does it? But since maybe you were thinking about the brass size somehow having something to do with it brass is 5x fired setting the shoulders back .002 each time.Like I said above I’ve given you the seating depth of .020 from touching the lands via wheeler method.
And like I also said above; it is neither of those bullets, Im shooting 105 rdfs.

I really don't like this test. I know alot of people believe in it.
Like everyone else, according to the chart, you have a "flat" spot
at 39.1-39.4 I like to let the target talk to me. You have less
vertical with the 40.0 I would shoot those two with 3-4 rounds
and not let the temp change much. It went up 15 deg. but more important,
how long were the first round to the last rounds in the sun or heat.
Try to control the little variables.
Try 39.0, 39.2 and 39.4 then 39.8, 40.0 and 40.2
Thats what I would do. My 2 cents
I made some comments above about how Im not a big proponent of this methodology either.
Ammo was acclimated to the temp when I started with 70 degrees, all in the shade under my roof, clouds went away and the temp started climbing, I thought the weather man said it was supposed to be dreary all day but he was wrong gain. With my prior testing on H4350 with this combo I would say that the ammo sped up .78 fps per degree
3003 at 85 degrees and 2964 at 35 degrees is a difference of 39 fps / difference in temp of 50 degrees is .78/°
I know 40.2 is putting me into over pressure So Im not going to do that charge. So you would say to do 39-40 in .2 increments? Thats 6 test loads so I could do groups of 4 with my sample 24 cases. OCW at 100 or ladder at 500?

I do this same kind of load development. I would load 5 at 39.3, if you are getting a really good SD and ES, then I would stick with that and just adjust seating depth until I find what the barrel likes the best.
So seating depth at 39.3? 100 yards or 500? Same aim point of each with their own individual?

I would use 39.1 based on target and graph. I would load 5 identical to ladder load, then adjust seating depth a bit so 5 more for each adjustment but the horizontal looks very good as is for 500 yards IMO. You could spend time in the 39.1 to .4 range, in the past I would have looking for the load, but life's time limits and experience have driven me to KISS load development. 20 shots known and 40 shots unknown cartridge. Latest project 300WM 175 Edge TLR.
So seating depth? same questions as above.

I would shoot at 500, I would level the target and use a new point of aim for each seating depth. With each POA being in same vertical plane. That is my method currently, always open to new ideas. I am assuming this load will be shot out at varied distances and not a specific range?

I have a few questions.
  1. You must have expected a certain outcome, did it go as planned? I want to say no
  2. Why .020" off? Is this your normal seat depth? If starting from scratch, not knowing seat depth, wouldn't a 5 thou jam be better, or at least get seat depth close before firing at 500?

At around 39.7 gr, your maxed out on any efficiency of the platform with velocity loss 40gr, your next velocity rise with more powder and you will be into pressure, if not already. Even though those 2 charges look good vertical wise, I'm not sure I would pursue.

Well, I'll take a shot.

You hit pressure at 40 grains. At those temps, a 1% reduction in charge weight will keep you out of pressure trouble at 100 degrees. So I would use 39.6 as my maximum acceptable charge. I usually find that loads are pretty easy to get good SD's with and are pretty tunable and easy on brass at 2% off max. That puts you at 39.2 grains.

39.2 is right at the bottom of your upper cluster of holes, and with a bit of seating depth fine tuning, will probably tighten up. it also happens to be in the middle of your velocity "flat spot".

I say try 39.2 with a .005" tweak fore and aft to see which is better. it will be interesting to see what the OCW says.

I have a few questions.
  1. You must have expected a certain outcome, did it go as planned? I want to say no
  2. Why .020" off? Is this your normal seat depth? If starting from scratch, not knowing seat depth, wouldn't a 5 thou jam be better, or at least get seat depth close before firing at 500?
At around 39.7 gr, your maxed out on any efficiency of the platform with velocity loss 40gr, your next velocity rise with more powder and you will be into pressure, if not already. Even though those 2 charges look good vertical wise, I'm not sure I would pursue.
1) Im not sure I expected a certain outcome from this but I have done it before; only without a labradar so the results on target were always a one independent data set and a second data set via magneatospeed so I didnt have both sets of data for the same shot before.
I will say that this data didnt necessarily refute the data I had collected previously. Im torn on saying what my previously existing load was or not because I dont want it to influence the suggestions I receive.

2) I chose this depth off the lands because its what I had found shot best in my prior testing. I didnt have any great luck starting jammed in my previous tests, they shot alright but never best. My length has grown from when the barrel was new but I keep coming back to .020 off chasing the lands. I use these 24 cases to do a seating depth test in between each loading of my big boxes to avoid loading lots of ammo that gets too far from the lands and to keep it in tune. So Ive been finding that keeping them .020 from first touch is the nicest spot for me.
Maybe if this series of testing leads to a different powder weight then maybe it will like a new different depth as well. I would enjoy finding that out

I agree. In spring/summer temps (80°+) 40 gr is starting to get tight bolt lift thats noticeable when shot after a lower pressure load, not requiring me to beat open the bolt with a mallet or anything. 40.5 is putting ejector marks on the brass. Im not going to go above 40, Ill take it easy on my equipment.

Well, I'll take a shot.

You hit pressure at 40 grains. At those temps, a 1% reduction in charge weight will keep you out of pressure trouble at 100 degrees. So I would use 39.6 as my maximum acceptable charge. I usually find that loads are pretty easy to get good SD's with and are pretty tunable and easy on brass at 2% off max. That puts you at 39.2 grains.

39.2 is right at the bottom of your upper cluster of holes, and with a bit of seating depth fine tuning, will probably tighten up. it also happens to be in the middle of your velocity "flat spot".

I say try 39.2 with a .005" tweak fore and aft to see which is better. it will be interesting to see what the OCW says.
I have many of the same thoughts you have about keeping it in the middle-ish of that flat spot but that was from before this data. ;)

Last edited:
steelhead- seating depth test at 39.2
clcustom1911- ocw 38-39
rackops- ocw from 39-40
ranger188- ocw from 39-40
svtuh- seating depth at 39.3
isofahunter- seating depth at 39.1 @ 500
skookum- seating depth at 39.2

So right now its looking like I will be doing a seating depth test of 39.2 based on the 4-3 outcome thus far but I would like some more input an opinions since its pretty even for both of the options.

Reactions: John Glidewell
clcustom1911- ocw 38-39
rackops- ocw from 39-40

So right now its looking like I will be doing a seating depth test of 39.2 based on the 4-3 outcome thus far but I would like some more input an opinions since its pretty even for both of the options.

Do both and see what works for you.
It’s only money.

Seating depth test at 39.2 or 39.3 which one probably wont matter.

Narrow range OCD with a few extra in the above range to accomplish the seating depth test.

I'd ignore the velocities and look at the target IMO. Velocities are there to give insight into the target, not the other way around.

If you were throwing charges with low degree of powder accuracy the range of 37.9-38.5 is a pretty fat area where the elevation POI on target is pretty consistent, as is the speed. Vertical is not great for any one charge weight though (looking at just two bullet impacts).

I don't like the range around 38.8 to 39.4. Across those three charge weights the vertical moves pretty rapidly up the target.

The charge at 40.0 has some of the least vertical, and also overlaps 39.7 (which itself has not much vertical). The velocity ladder also confirms a bit of a flat spot there. Don't know what's happening above those charge weights.

I personally would do another confirming ladder between 39.5 to 40.5 grains in as favorable conditions as possible. I think right around 40 grains has a lot of promise. Not sure what I think about the SD/ES of those loads, but I'd be curious what the target says if you shot again. Who cares what the velocity variation is if the target shows the least amount of vertical?

Side note, 3050 ish with a 105 is a pretty common load for 6XC. If you wanted to shoot at 2960-70 then just shoot a Dasher. :)

1) Im not sure I expected a certain outcome from this but I have done it before; only without a labradar so the results on target were always a one independent data set and a second data set via magneatospeed so I didnt have both sets of data for the same shot before.
I will say that this data didnt necessarily refute the data I had collected previously. Im torn on saying what my previously existing load was or not because I dont want it to influence the suggestions I receive.

2) I chose this depth off the lands because its what I had found shot best in my prior testing. I didnt have any great luck starting jammed in my previous tests, they shot alright but never best. My length has grown from when the barrel was new but I keep coming back to .020 off chasing the lands. I use these 24 cases to do a seating depth test in between each loading of my big boxes to avoid loading lots of ammo that gets too far from the lands and to keep it in tune. So Ive been finding that keeping them .020 from first touch is the nicest spot for me.
Maybe if this series of testing leads to a different powder weight then maybe it will like a new different depth as well. I would enjoy finding that out

I agree. In spring/summer temps (80°+) 40 gr is starting to get tight bolt lift thats noticeable when shot after a lower pressure load, not requiring me to beat open the bolt with a mallet or anything. 40.5 is putting ejector marks on the brass. Im not going to go above 40, Ill take it easy on my equipment.
Thanks, I'm out now, I have my own method, with my own terminology, lol
I also think you are steering guys toward a flat spot in velocity zone. I myself, never have shot H4350, and have never really seen a flat spot with any powders I've used, other than the plateau before pressure. H 4350 known for flat spots. And like you, I do chrono every shot start to finish of load dev.
I myself have never shot a True ladder test, one aimpoint, multiple shots, I'd use project board with this style template, work left to right, low to high charge. That way I do not have to keep track of individual shots. Just eyeballing the hits tells you which charges hold identical vertical. chrono keeps things in perspective.

Attachments

• ladder.jpg
    ladder.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: TIMMYTOY
38.8 grains happens to be "3% less/ or 1.2 grains less" than 40 grains, which Newberry suggests is where the next node down is from 40, and I'd count those two charge weights as having the least vertical, as well as being nodes by looking at the vertical dispersion.

Even though 39.1 to 39.4 have lower ES they appear to be in the scatter node. Well that's why I gave up using a chrono during a ladder test. I just look at the vertical on paper.

Since you are doing .3 grain increments and the tightest node could be in between somewhere, I'd shoot 3 shot groups at 500Y of .1 grain increments, low from 38.6-38.8 and high from 39.8-40. Actually if the pressure isn't hot at 40 I'd personally choose this high node area and concentrate on it from a load density and a higher velocity perspective. Come hot temps if there is a pressure problem you know where the low node is. Or reduce the high node charge a tenth or two to duplicate the velocity you come up with.

I'd still like to see how an OCW at 100Y correlates.

That's good you already had the seating depth down from previous load work, your rifle shoots pretty good, especially considering the bullet you use!

Thanks, I'm out now, I have my own method, with my own terminology, lol
I also think you are steering guys toward a flat spot in velocity zone. I myself, never have shot H4350, and have never really seen a flat spot with any powders I've used, other than the plateau before pressure. H 4350 known for flat spots. And like you, I do chrono every shot start to finish of load dev.
I myself have never shot a True ladder test, one aimpoint, multiple shots, I'd use project board with this style template, work left to right, low to high charge. That way I do not have to keep track of individual shots. Just eyeballing the hits tells you which charges hold identical vertical. chrono keeps things in perspective.

OK, well Im going to bust myself early, even though I said I wouldnt, since Milo thinks Im asking leading questions towards the flat spot but my prior load was 39.4gr summer, 39.5 winter via ocw at 100 yards, averaging ~2980 +/- 10 fps.
I was originally going to try and demonstrate that the flat spot was a fluke but Ill be damned if the saterlee part of this test didnt support my load. So thats the numbers. Wasnt trying to lean towards the saterlee method, just the opposite actually but I cant deny what Ive laid out here (small sample sizes aside).

Now... the target shows exactly the opposite, 39.4 had the largest vertical of any of the tests with the test loads directly above and below it rising to the higher and lower side of it instead of clumping aroudn themiddle, not at all what I was expecting/hoping. I was expecting the target to support the prior load and the numbers to be way off, so my paradigm has been shifted.

So if it seems Im leaning one way or another, its really just me squirming in the middle LOL

I like that target with them spread out on the football stitches, I have done something similar for OCW when I have a new rifle that needs to be zeroed still and I have no idea where its hitting or how well it will group. Ill shoot it in the middle of the big board so its there to catch the shot whereever and then Ill adjust my sights and then start my ocw on the same row without having to go down range at all to swap targets out and so on.

I'd ignore the velocities and look at the target IMO. Velocities are there to give insight into the target, not the other way around.

If you were throwing charges with low degree of powder accuracy the range of 37.9-38.5 is a pretty fat area where the elevation POI on target is pretty consistent, as is the speed. Vertical is not great for any one charge weight though (looking at just two bullet impacts).

I don't like the range around 38.8 to 39.4. Across those three charge weights the vertical moves pretty rapidly up the target.

The charge at 40.0 has some of the least vertical, and also overlaps 39.7 (which itself has not much vertical). The velocity ladder also confirms a bit of a flat spot there. Don't know what's happening above those charge weights.

I personally would do another confirming ladder between 39.5 to 40.5 grains in as favorable conditions as possible. I think right around 40 grains has a lot of promise. Not sure what I think about the SD/ES of those loads, but I'd be curious what the target says if you shot again. Who cares what the velocity variation is if the target shows the least amount of vertical?

Side note, 3050 ish with a 105 is a pretty common load for 6XC. If you wanted to shoot at 2960-70 then just shoot a Dasher. :)

Thats what I was intending to set out to do, to show that the chrono was fools gold and the target was what mattered most liked I described in response to Milo. But this particular target flies in the face of what I had tested before and the chrono backed up my prior hypothesis.

So the opposite of what I was expecting!

What I find interesting is that you and clcustom1911 suggest looking into 37.9-38.5, the others all say to look at the area of 39.1-39.4 which is where you say you would avoid. And going off this one particular targets its the area that I would be inclined to avoid as well.

And I dont see how people are running 3050 with H4350, thats scary fast but Ive heard people reference it as well.
With RL16 I was getting accuracy at 39.8 gr for 3070 but 40gr with that powder was putting ejector imprints on the cases in not super extreme temps. Extreme temps in texas get hot and only being .2 away from pressure in the enjoyable 85 degree weather with a powder that gave me the only bad carbon ring Ive had was enough to push me back to H4350.

Ive got a dasher barrel on the way, just waiting for it to arrive in the next month or two ;)

38.8 grains happens to be "3% less/ or 1.2 grains less" than 40 grains, which Newberry suggests is where the next node down is from 40, and I'd count those two charge weights as having the least vertical, as well as being nodes by looking at the vertical dispersion.

Even though 39.1 to 39.4 have lower ES they appear to be in the scatter node. Well that's why I gave up using a chrono during a ladder test. I just look at the vertical on paper.

Since you are doing .3 grain increments and the tightest node could be in between somewhere, I'd shoot 3 shot groups at 500Y of .1 grain increments, low from 38.6-38.8 and high from 39.8-40. Actually if the pressure isn't hot at 40 I'd personally choose this high node area and concentrate on it from a load density and a higher velocity perspective. Come hot temps if there is a pressure problem you know where the low node is. Or reduce the high node charge a tenth or two to duplicate the velocity you come up with.

I'd still like to see how an OCW at 100Y correlates.

That's good you already had the seating depth down from previous load work, your rifle shoots pretty good, especially considering the bullet you use!

Some of my above comments for reasoning apply here as well about the numbers vs the paper. The limit of 40 is kind of a soft cap, its a bit tight on extraction but nothing that a good oopmh cant take care of, that said 40.5 is leaving ejector imprints and is clearly over the top and that was found on a day in november when it was 70-85 as well. In summer when its 100 that 40gr gets an appreciable bit tighter which is why Ive never really ventured that far up too in depth.

So we now sit at
clcustom1911- ocw 38-39
rackops- ocw from 39-40
sheldon- another higher ladder for confirmation of the top end
steve- 38.6-38.8 and 39.8-40 samples @ 500, 100 yards ocw to corroborate.

Thats 4 for seating depth, 4 for ocw, 1 ladder.
Brass was all processed yesterday. Im going to try and maintain some will power and keep holding off on powdering them up just yet to see if the crowd swings more one way than the other.

Spife, sorry if my big mouth screwed shit up for you, lol. I wanted to ask the one question right away, I thought the results got away from you.

It is my experience that any charge can be tuned for size and shape to a great degree with seating depth, but low SD's are a function of burn rate, bullet weight, and load density. Which is why I hesitate to go much below 2% off max.

I do believe in positive compensation, and want to be on the up side of the curve rather than the back side, but I don't believe there is a lot you can do about it in any given combination without messing with additional barrel weights and tuners. For most of us, it just is what it is. That's my personal opinion. I could be wrong.

OK, well Im going to bust myself early, even though I said I wouldnt, since Milo thinks Im asking leading questions towards the flat spot but my prior load was 39.4gr summer, 39.5 winter via ocw at 100 yards, averaging ~2980 +/- 10 fps.
I was originally going to try and demonstrate that the flat spot was a fluke but Ill be damned if the saterlee part of this test didnt support my load. So thats the numbers. Wasnt trying to lean towards the saterlee method, just the opposite actually but I cant deny what Ive laid out here (small sample sizes aside).

Now... the target shows exactly the opposite, 39.4 had the largest vertical of any of the tests with the test loads directly above and below it rising to the higher and lower side of it instead of clumping aroudn themiddle, not at all what I was expecting/hoping. I was expecting the target to support the prior load and the numbers to be way off, so my paradigm has been shifted.

So if it seems Im leaning one way or another, its really just me squirming in the middle LOL

There's a fundamental thing people overlook when using and advocating OCW and velocity ladder tests, and also when focusing on ES/SD numbers. All these tools are meant to be predictive.

What does that mean? It means that people look at those as indicators of what will happen on the target when you shoot at distance. And what are you trying to predict? You are trying to predict what load will be the most forgiving in terms of POI being unlikely to shift based on small charge weight or temp variations and of the likelihood that the load will have the least amount of vertical dispersion (aka shoot the smallest group at distance).

People love SD/ES and velocity ladders because they are easy to measure and they seem so black and white in the answer they give. But they are NOT necessarily black in white in terms of downrange results. This is not because the numbers aren't right, but rather because the predictive factor isn't perfect. As your target shows, not everything that looks like a flat spot for velocity is a forgiving downrange load. And loads with worse SD/ES may shoot better waterlines than those with perfect ES/SD. Benchrest guys can tell you about loads that have an ES of 1 but still have 6 inches of vertical at 1000 yards and loads that have an ES of 15 and hold a 1-2 inch waterline at 1k.

OCW is also good tool and is widely used because it only requires 100 yards, but again it's trying to predict what an actual ladder test will show. You would never go back and do an OCW test over a quality ladder because by definition the ladder test is the "answer" that the OCW is attempting to predict.

Now a quality ladder tests requires a gun that is accurate to begin with, plus favorable conditions, plus a capable shooter, plus distance and paper. But if you have all those things then I'd take the ladder as the definitive answer every time.

Spife, sorry if my big mouth screwed shit up for you, lol. I wanted to ask the one question right away, I thought the results got away from you.
HA! no problem, I was just trying to avoid swaying peoples opinions with my prior thoughts is all. No actual anything to screw up

It is my experience that any charge can be tuned for size and shape to a great degree with seating depth, but low SD's are a function of burn rate, bullet weight, and load density. Which is why I hesitate to go much below 2% off max.

I do believe in positive compensation, and want to be on the up side of the curve rather than the back side, but I don't believe there is a lot you can do about it in any given combination without messing with additional barrel weights and tuners. For most of us, it just is what it is. That's my personal opinion. I could be wrong.
I assume that but Ive never actually tested two blatantly different charge weights and adjusting depth for each of them though I suppose it all is a function of timing when the bullet leaves the barrel so two answers can both be absolutely correct.

There's a fundamental thing people overlook when using and advocating OCW and velocity ladder tests, and also when focusing on ES/SD numbers. All these tools are meant to be predictive.

What does that mean? It means that people look at those as indicators of what will happen on the target when you shoot at distance. And what are you trying to predict? You are trying to predict what load will be the most forgiving in terms of POI being unlikely to shift based on small charge weight or temp variations and of the likelihood that the load will have the least amount of vertical dispersion (aka shoot the smallest group at distance).

People love SD/ES and velocity ladders because they are easy to measure and they seem so black and white in the answer they give. But they are NOT necessarily black in white in terms of downrange results. This is not because the numbers aren't right, but rather because the predictive factor isn't perfect. As your target shows, not everything that looks like a flat spot for velocity is a forgiving downrange load. And loads with worse SD/ES may shoot better waterlines than those with perfect ES/SD. Benchrest guys can tell you about loads that have an ES of 1 but still have 6 inches of vertical at 1000 yards and loads that have an ES of 15 and hold a 1-2 inch waterline at 1k.

OCW is also good tool and is widely used because it only requires 100 yards, but again it's trying to predict what an actual ladder test will show. You would never go back and do an OCW test over a quality ladder because by definition the ladder test is the "answer" that the OCW is attempting to predict.

Now a quality ladder tests requires a gun that is accurate to begin with, plus favorable conditions, plus a capable shooter, plus distance and paper. But if you have all those things then I'd take the ladder as the definitive answer every time.

I agree, and honestly my SDs are always somewhere in between 10-15 when I do a large sample size. Sure I have some small samples that give me a 2 or 3 sd but add in 10 more shots and my SD always grows to low double digits. I figure people that show their data with a SD of 2-3 are lying in some respect or at least not telling/discovering all the truth that is there to be had. And this is the first test Ive done that the sd numbers actually backed up the saterlee method LOL, just when I was trying to prove it didnt work. Still havent proved it does either though...

Reactions: 47guy and Milo 2.5
Benchrest guys can tell you about loads that have an ES of 1 but still have 6 inches of vertical at 1000 yards and loads that have an ES of 15 and hold a 1-2 inch waterline at 1k.
This happens because of positive compensation. I know you already know that. I'm not trying to be insulting.

What I have never been able to get the benchrest guys to explain is this: If a particular load can have a vertical of 6" , then how do you know the one shot you fired landed in the right spot to tell you the info you wanted to know? Just because a group of shots clustered up, it doesn't mean that is an accurate representation of the edges of the node. If you fire multiple ladder tests to confirm, then why not just shoot groups to begin with and compare group shapes and the relationship of group centers to one another?

Unlike benchrest, field shooters care about velocity. No one wants a load that groups but is 100 fps slower than what should be possible. Load density (which is tied closely to low SD) determines to some extent how consistent a load is from winter to summer. It doesn't have to be the exact same but it should be consistent and as forgiving as possible. Again, I know you know this, and I'm not trying to be insulting.

A lot of those benchrest guys who swear by the ladder, still have to fine tune thier loads throughout the day during a match. So what did they gain?

The short-range Benchrest guys are not doing a ladder test.
They are running at a constant velocity and that is why they run 54-57 clicks on the Harrell powder drop. It's a volume range.

When you perform a ladder test like the 600-1000 yard guys do you never touch the seating depth.
It is always at your maximum length be that magazine length or hard into the lands. Known as the full jam length.
You increase the powder charge in 1% increments.
You only look at the vertical change.
First shot would be zero.
Second shot would be +1.3 inches
3rd shot +1.0 inches
4th shot +0.3 inches
5th shot +0.9 inches
6th shot +1.5 inches.
Your node would be close to your 4th shot in the above example because your only looking for the vertical change and velocity doesn't matter at this step.

Once you have your baseline powder charge you move your seating depth in only one direction which is shorter in length.
If your worried about your velocity or SD your not doing a ladder test your just putting shots downrange.

If you fire multiple ladder tests to confirm, then why not just shoot groups to begin with and compare group shapes and the relationship of group centers to one another?

Unlike benchrest, field shooters care about velocity. No one wants a load that groups but is 100 fps slower than what should be possible. Load density (which is tied closely to low SD) determines to some extent how consistent a load is from winter to summer. It doesn't have to be the exact same but it should be consistent and as forgiving as possible. Again, I know you know this, and I'm not trying to be insulting.

Multiple ladders are pretty much the same as shooting a ladder with a group of 3 shots, or three ladders back to back to see if the results are repeatable. I might give more credibility to a ladder which repeated the results three separate days in a row, rather than one "group" ladder shot on a single day but that's splitting hairs.

Sidebar on positive compensation, I would think that a person who shoots in a discipline where target range is not fixed (ie PRS) would want to double check a ladder at multiple distances to see if what showed good vertical at 600 yards also did so at 1000 yards, etc. I suspect it likely would, since the loads for BR cartridges seem to be very similar whether the participant is shooting 600 yards or 1000 yards (F-Class, BR).

As far as velocity, benchrest guys seem to run loads that are as hot or hotter than PRS guys, going by Dasher or 6BRA velocities that I'm aware of in both disciplines. No one wants to leave performance on the table... wind affects the BR guys too.

You mention a load that is "consistent and forgiving". How would you define that?

My definition would be something on the order of "A load which shows resistance to change in vertical point of impact despite changes in powder charge weight, or powder burn rate change due to temperature". If you agree with a definition roughly like that, what would you say the best way to measure whether a load meets that standard?

I’m with steel head for my suggestion.

Multiple ladders are pretty much the same as shooting a ladder with a group of 3 shots, or three ladders back to back to see if the results are repeatable. I might give more credibility to a ladder which repeated the results three separate days in a row, rather than one "group" ladder shot on a single day but that's splitting hairs.

Sidebar on positive compensation, I would think that a person who shoots in a discipline where target range is not fixed (ie PRS) would want to double check a ladder at multiple distances to see if what showed good vertical at 600 yards also did so at 1000 yards, etc. I suspect it likely would, since the loads for BR cartridges seem to be very similar whether the participant is shooting 600 yards or 1000 yards (F-Class, BR).

As far as velocity, benchrest guys seem to run loads that are as hot or hotter than PRS guys, going by Dasher or 6BRA velocities that I'm aware of in both disciplines. No one wants to leave performance on the table... wind affects the BR guys too.

You mention a load that is "consistent and forgiving". How would you define that?

My definition would be something on the order of "A load which shows resistance to change in vertical point of impact despite changes in powder charge weight, or powder burn rate change due to temperature". If you agree with a definition roughly like that, what would you say the best way to measure whether a load meets that standard?

Positive compensation doesn't vary enough to matter much. It compensates for roughly 50 FPS of variation according to Doctor Geoffrey Kolbe who invented the term when working on Rimfire tuners a decade ago.

My definition is similar in regards to the charge weight. The high nodes are always finicky for charge weight and temp in my experience. The next one down I have found easier to tune.

As far as change due to temp, I don't care about changes so much in vertical of the group center as long as the shape of the group doesn't string out vertically or horizontally. I can account for velocity change as long as all my shots stay clustered.

As far as testing it. I group it at 500 yds in the winter and 500 yards in the summer. If it groups at both extremes, I hang my hat on it.

BR guys may stuff more powder in a case, but 30" barrels account for a lot of the gains.
Your definition pretty much matches mine. Shooting it in differing conditions about the only way to verify.
One way to insure the load holds over a span of temps, if you develop the load in 40 deg, pick a charge close to the low end, if it gets to 90, equivalent of adding powder. Exact opposite if it is hot when you develop, pick high, now you have wiggle room.

The short-range Benchrest guys are not doing a ladder test.
They are running at a constant velocity and that is why they run 54-57 clicks on the Harrell powder drop. It's a volume range.

When you perform a ladder test like the 600-1000 yard guys do you never touch the seating depth.
It is always at your maximum length be that magazine length or hard into the lands. Known as the full jam length.
You increase the powder charge in 1% increments.
You only look at the vertical change.
First shot would be zero.
Second shot would be +1.3 inches
3rd shot +1.0 inches
4th shot +0.3 inches
5th shot +0.9 inches
6th shot +1.5 inches.
Your node would be close to your 4th shot in the above example because your only looking for the vertical change and velocity doesn't matter at this step.

Once you have your baseline powder charge you move your seating depth in only one direction which is shorter in length.
If your worried about your velocity or SD your not doing a ladder test your just putting shots downrange.
I was hoping you would chime in. I understand how that works for one ladder like you described... but how do you justify that the same load shot again doesnt have the same results on the paper?
And twice the data means twice the accuracy no? If no, then how is the second in many cases here not refuting the results of the first shot?

I should have shot each series on its own target instead of both on the same paper, Or walked downrange halfway through to mark the first and then shot the second just for a more complete comparison, thats on me.

Thats what I think, more shots or cumulative ladders can only offer more informed insights.

I’m with steel head for my suggestion.

So we now sit at
clcustom1911- ocw 38-39
rackops- ocw from 39-40
jugger- seating depth test at 39.2

Thats 5 for seating depth, 4 for ocw, 1 ladder.

BR guys may stuff more powder in a case, but 30" barrels account for a lot of the gains.
Your definition pretty much matches mine. Shooting it in differing conditions about the only way to verify.
One way to insure the load holds over a span of temps, if you develop the load in 40 deg, pick a charge close to the low end, if it gets to 90, equivalent of adding powder. Exact opposite if it is hot when you develop, pick high, now you have wiggle room.

Yep, thats what I do, 39.4 in the summer and 39.5 in the 2 coldest winter months.

Reactions: Milo 2.5
I would use 38.8 and be done.
I was going to quit, but honestly I do not feel that would be wise. First, now you have charge specific load. Look at the charge below, and the charge above and the vertical spread between the 3 charges. He would have to verify with .1gr on either side, the load may hold. There is not enough data gathered to support it will work, my opinion. Plus the charge is low on what the case is capable of, which is ok, but he has way better looking things going on with higher charges.

Spife7980
The results should be repeatable unless you have a equipment problem or your shooting too far for the conditions.
Bob Hoppe finds his load at 100 yards and never changes it all year.
He shot the smallest NBRSA 600 yard group ever fired while I was two benches away and while my father was pulling his target.
My father asked him which of his 3 groups was the smallest and he guessed wrong.
Pick the least amount of vertical spread before you change anything.

Reactions: Subwrx300
A lot of theories suggest using "flat spots" or vertical impact as a go/no-go indicator for load development. I'm not a fan of those methods per se unless you shoot 4-5 shots at very tight intervals (.2 gr or .1 gr). Primarily because most scales are only capable of +-.1 grain, by testing at .1 grain you are seeing the actual potential for future results if your scale varies a bit from day to day or session to sesson.

I try to find the nodes based on change in SD (not the relative velocity from charge to charge but graphing SD by charge.). This is very different from a flat spot in velocity where you could have high ES but an average that stays the same. Not good in my book.

You don't have enough shots to say much about SDs but you can see the ES (albeit 2 shots only) gets tighter in two distinct nodes: 37.3-37.6 and 38.8-39.1. I would load +- .1 grains around 38.9 (38.7, 38.8, 38.9, 39, 39.1) with 5 rounds each checking mainly for SD. If it remains good, you could either: tune best SD node for seating depth to tighten groups OR be done.

I have started simply moving my reloading to more change in SD based initial testing and tuning precision with Seating depth as needed.

My best guess using data provided is that 38.8 or 38.9 will be virtually identical and have good SD. The POI vertically is very similar between 38.8 and 39.1 so its a good chance the barrel is fairly "calm" as bullets exit for that node.

I would use 38.8 and be done.
A lot of theories suggest using "flat spots" or vertical impact as a go/no-go indicator for load development. I'm not a fan of those methods per se unless you shoot 4-5 shots at very tight intervals (.2 gr or .1 gr). Primarily because most scales are only capable of +-.1 grain, by testing at .1 grain you are seeing the actual potential for future results if your scale varies a bit from day to day or session to sesson.

I try to find the nodes based on change in SD (not the relative velocity from charge to charge but graphing SD by charge.). This is very different from a flat spot in velocity where you could have high ES but an average that stays the same. Not good in my book.

You don't have enough shots to say much about SDs but you can see the ES (albeit 2 shots only) gets tighter in two distinct nodes: 37.3-37.6 and 38.8-39.1. I would load +- .1 grains around 38.9 (38.7, 38.8, 38.9, 39, 39.1) with 5 rounds each checking mainly for SD. If it remains good, you could either: tune best SD node for seating depth to tighten groups OR be done.

I have started simply moving my reloading to more change in SD based initial testing and tuning precision with Seating depth as needed.

My best guess using data provided is that 38.8 or 38.9 will be virtually identical and have good SD. The POI vertically is very similar between 38.8 and 39.1 so its a good chance the barrel is fairly "calm" as bullets exit for that node.

clcustom1911- ocw 38-39
rackops- ocw from 39-40
nexusfire- stick with 38.8 and be done
subwrx- ocw (actually just group checking a narrow band but Ill still call it ocw) 38.7-39.1

Thats 5 for seating depth, 5 for ocw, 1 ladder, 1 be done.

38.8, run seating depth test.
would anyone try a different primmer? just curious :rolleyes:

Im not messing with primers, I have lots of cci200s and none of the others and thats what I use for everything so Im sticking with it. In my very limited testing primers havent really made a difference.

clcustom1911- ocw 38-39
rackops- ocw from 39-40
nexusfire- stick with 38.8 and be done
subwrx- ocw (actually just group checking a narrow band but Ill still call it ocw) 38.7-39.1
t2hunter- seating depth at 38.8

Thats 6 for seating depth, 5 for ocw, 1 ladder, 1 be done.

Reactions: T2hunter
I don't see a need unless SDs or groups aren't good at any nodes.

i had 10 charges from 29.1 to 30.9 that were all 3/4" or under...a primer swap tightened up the 4 charge weights i decided on testing...pretty amazing the effects primers have on a load.

So much terrible intel here.
Watch the video.
Benchrest Hall of Fame and F-Class shooter on loading.

What "terrible Intel" are you referring to @Lynn Jr ?

I'm curious how that video provides anything of further substance regarding reloading for precision in this context.

So he tests lots of bullets over multiple groups on multiple days looking for the most consistent aggregate....right? He really doesn't give any details about process nor does he discuss any "secret sauce" other than shooting a ton of benchrest aggs.

Is the point " shoot more groups over more days"?

If so, pretty sure thats what we are all doing (more data is good right?), but looking for a way to narrow in on right load more quickly. @spife7980 has already done the initial work, is planning to do more but wants to see how we would proceed.

I should add that this I am seriously asking this question not to flame but to understand what we should take away from that video. It seemed very thin on it's face....

Thats 6 for seating depth, 5 for ocw, 1 ladder, 1 be done.

Now that you've got a cross section of opinions, how do you plan to test for what the "correct" load is? Are you going to test at 100 yards or at distance? Are you going to test above/below to see what adjacent charge weights do? How are you going to define success at the end of it all? Based off numbers or off results on target?

What "terrible Intel" are you referring to @Lynn Jr ?

I'm curious how that video provides anything of further substance regarding reloading for precision in this context.

So he tests lots of bullets over multiple groups on multiple days looking for the most consistent aggregate....right? He really doesn't give any details about process nor does he discuss any "secret sauce" other than shooting a ton of benchrest aggs.

Is the point " shoot more groups over more days"?

If so, pretty sure thats what we are all doing (more data is good right?), but looking for a way to narrow in on right load more quickly. @spife7980 has already done the initial work, is planning to do more but wants to see how we would proceed.

I should add that this I am seriously asking this question not to flame but to understand what we should take away from that video. It seemed very thin on it's face....
Now you did it.

Now that you've got a cross section of opinions, how do you plan to test for what the "correct" load is? Are you going to test at 100 yards or at distance? Are you going to test above/below to see what adjacent charge weights do? How are you going to define success at the end of it all? Based off numbers or off results on target?
IDK, Im wanting yall to tell me what I should do for developing and Ill do it (Ive pretty much done it all before already on this barrel, just didnt document it as well as I would have liked for sharing after the fact, I deleted all the stuff that didnt have the exact load I wanted portrayed in it so lots of data missing for the other areas). But on target at distance is the final judge for me.

I wish they had a way to run several polls on a thread so I could do a new poll each week in this same space.

So far I have a 4 people wanting seating depth for 39.2 gr, thats the highest frequency of one suggestion so thats probably what Ill do since we dont have too many new participants making more suggestions.

So if Im going to do seating depth...
How many samples of each? 24 rounds gives us 8 3 round groups, 6 4 round groups or 5.8 5 round groups.
Yall wanting to see it at 100 or 500?
How big of an interval in between lengths? .005 or .010 or .015 or .020?

If we’re taking opinions on this too.

Here’s my .02:)

3 shot groups

If it ain’t going to do it in 3 why waste the others....

Lands or jam.005
And so on

Reactions: spife7980