• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report ladder test OCW 7mm08 TRG22, Varget

SScott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Guys,
I have just over 200 rounds through my new Benchmark barrel, so I thought it was time to try a ladder test and see what the barrel really likes, I got up early and tried to get to the range before the wind really picked up.

Rifle: Sako TRG rebarreled to 7mm08, 26" 3 groove 1-9 twist barrel.

My base for the load is.

RP .308 brass necked down to 7mm08, neck turned
Tula large rifle primers
Varget powder from 40.5gr to 43.5gr
Hornady 162 grn A-max
Seated to mag length of 2.945 COAL
Both groups were shot within 45 min of each other, when I got to the second group, the wind started to pick up coming from my six o clock.
I was just starting to see pressure signs at 42.5 grains, although at 43.5 it didn't look too terrible, what I saw was ejector swipe marks.
I just got my neck turning stuff yesterday and by turning my necks and really paying attention to bullet runout I was able to use higher charges without seeing as much pressure signs, as I believe with my match chamber and high bullet runout it was causing issues.

For now I am going to play with a load of 42.5gr. My last load was 42.3 grains and I was hitting an average of 2775, so with this I might be on the light side of 2800 fps, which I hope to have the benefits of decent speed, great BC .625, and lots of barrel life.

SScott

004-5.jpg

7mm08TRG.jpg

Re: ladder test OCW 7mm08 TRG22

very nice work scott looks alot like mine only without all the grip tape, krylon, and duct tape.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Team-Send-It!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very nice work scott looks alot like mine only without all the grip tape, krylon, and duct tape. </div></div>
It should, it wears the same barrel, but a little longer and with only 6 flutes.
Have you been hiding yours? As I don't remember seeing it posted.
SScott

Scott, that is a heck of a nice looking rifle! I see it's going to be a real hammer. What does the rifle with scope weigh in at? You've got a beauty there, no doubt!

Very nice looking TRG.
+1 on H4350.
My 7MM08 is a q in 8.7 twist. I shoot 47.2 H4350 with the 168 SMK in Nosler brass. It is a load published on Hodgdon's web guide and will push the 168 at the velocity you are getting from the 162. Plus, it is loaded to fit the standard AICS mag with plate in. I have quite a few 162 Amax bullets on hand but they did not shoot as well in my gun.

I have a similar set up,1-9 krieger, H4350 worked very well, 45-46 gr with 162's to get sub 1/2moa 5 shot groups. XBR8208 was a close second.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott, that is a heck of a nice looking rifle! I see it's going to be a real hammer. What does the rifle with scope weigh in at? You've got a beauty there, no doubt! </div></div>
Ranger, it weighs 15 lbs 6 oz with the bipod and an empty mag.
I made up 3 more test bullets with the weights of 42.3, 42.4, 42.5, 42.6, and 42.7, my thoughts were to shoot groups at 300 yards and pick which ever groups the best.
Thanks for the heads up on additional bullet and powder selections, I do have some H4350, and will do the same process with it.
SScott