• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ladder test question/confusion...

Judd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2010
DFW
This ladder test is my first and was done at 325 out of a 6.5 Creedmoor and 25" barrel. Sorry, our chronograph died prior to shoot these so I didn't get velocity so that makes it worse but here is what it looked like, for some reason the picture is upside down, 3 was the lowest shot and 12 was highest:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

All loads were seated .010 jammed and were as follows:

1. 39.1
2. 39.4
3. 39.7
4. 40.0
5. 40.3
6. 40.6
7. 40.9
8. 41.2
9. 41.5
10. 41.8
11. 42.1
12. 42.4
13. 42.7

All with H4350 and no signs of pressure. Winds blew like crazy, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I am asking because with all of them "grouped" like they did I don't have a clue which to pull as my 5 shot groups.

Your thoughts?

Re: Ladder test question/confusion...

I ladder test with no wind, and the rifle bagged as solid as possable to take all variables out of equation. Your string should have been near virtcle lins. Have you tried both jammed and off? None of my rifles have ever liked jammed, but thats just what I have had, friends have rifles that like jammed. If it werent for 6 being a flyer I would say 40-41.2. Just my opinion

just write the charge wt by the hole it makes it alot easier. and find a 600 yd spot to shoot the ladder so you can tell whats really goin on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gixxerk8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ladder test with no wind, and the rifle bagged as solid as possable to take all variables out of equation. Your string should have been near virtcle lins. Have you tried both jammed and off? None of my rifles have ever liked jammed, but thats just what I have had, friends have rifles that like jammed. If it werent for 6 being a flyer I would say 40-41.2. Just my opinion </div></div>

I don't think I'd call 6 a flyer. It's got consistent vertical with the others in that group. Looks like a good ladder with an obvious trend centered at 4,5,6,7 and 8. Fine tune with #6 (40.6 gn) as your center.

I have not tried off...that is the first try, barrel has 93 rounds out of it and all factory except for the 13 ladder test. I had 3 boxes of 120 (guy I get from was out of 130's so I bought them mainly to get used to gun and obtain brass). I have 2 boxes of 140's that I would like to try.

I'm all over the board...last nite I was thinking 41 and loading some around there on and off the lands. But then this morning I was thinking I should try 11, 12, 13 just due to the higher drop thinking more velocity. I guess I need to shoot through the chorony at some of those and see what they are doing. I can get a battery and hopefully get over there in the next week or so.

The other thought was since I never got into pressure issues was create another ladder but first shot would be #9 and go up from there until I start seeing pressure signs?