• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ladder test

Bradu

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
IL
It looks like the weather isn't going to be too bad tomorrow so I am going to shoot a ladder at 300 yards. I am doing this as Lynn requested in another thread, I have loaded up 9 rounds in .3 grain increments. Rifle is a trg 22 with a 6 creedmoor barrel. I will be using a bald eagle rest along with a 3" plate that fits tight in the bag. I will have a rabbit ear bag for the rear so it is solid. I plan on posting pictures of everything when I get home.

Reactions: spife7980
300 is too close. Don’t bother

Agree. I wouldn't bother with a ladder at 300 yards.

If you want to shoot OCW style with three shots groups at 300 yards you'll get some good info similar to a ladder. If you do single shots everything will be clumped together too much to read changes in POI vs ordinary shot to shot group size variation.

Reactions: RampedRaptor
This is what he said to do

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190331-111320_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190331-111320_Samsung Internet.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 44
If you have access to longer than 300 yds and are capable of consistent shot placement “must be for load development to mean anything” then you need to shoot the ladder farther out.

I can say after being at the range for a while, the mirage is too bad to do anything.

If i remember the original conversation correctly, you and your gear are not capable, which shows your skills or equipment are not up to the task at hand. You obviously don't know what's important and you don't want to learn because you're a "millenial". You obviously aren't capable of doing a ladder test, so you post a bunch of nonsense.

Did I do it right? :D:D

If i remember the original conversation correctly, you and your gear are not capable, which shows your skills or equipment are not up to the task at hand. You obviously don't know what's important and you don't want to learn because you're a "millenial". You obviously aren't capable of doing a ladder test, so you post a bunch of nonsense.

Did I do it right? :D:D

That is the cliff notes. I've never done a ladder before so I figured I would try it. I will still do my regular method just to compare the two and see if my way is even close to the same outcome. I did have some ammo loaded up just to get some rounds down the barrel and I will say that this barrel likes the 3 different loads I picked. They shot good groups at 100 and kept good groups at 600 yards as well. It was tough at times to pick up the 3" plate at 600 from the mirage so I will wait for a better day.

That is the cliff notes. I've never done a ladder before so I figured I would try it. I will still do my regular method just to compare the two and see if my way is even close to the same outcome. I did have some ammo loaded up just to get some rounds down the barrel and I will say that this barrel likes the 3 different loads I picked. They shot good groups at 100 and kept good groups at 600 yards as well. It was tough at times to pick up the 3" plate at 600 from the mirage so I will wait for a better day.
Lynn Jr got banned this morning for being a fucking cunt in the Pacific Tool & Gauge thread. Apparently he is a personal friend of Dave Kiff and was going after Chad from LRI with some vigor for what he posted.

He won't be answering you.

Didn't know that, I seen the start of it but haven't been on here much.

I've been doing this at 100 yards. It gives all the same info as the Audette ladder, or more,
but in an easier to visualize way.

1554063819836.png

You get to see the vertical expressed in the sine wave pattern, but you also get to see the horizontal deviation and the "clocking" of the barrel direction in relation to point of aim. I intentionally off set the POI to the lower right qradrant to make the effect easier to see.

I usually do an ocw and when I decide on a load, I load up about 30 of them to shoot a few more groups and shoot some steel at a distance just to check vertical. It has always worked well for me and that's the method that I have taught my buddies when I help them get started reloading. This is more for curiosity than anything.

Reactions: Sheldon N
I usually do an ocw and when I decide on a load, I load up about 30 of them to shoot a few more groups and shoot some steel at a distance just to check vertical. It has always worked well for me and that's the method that I have taught my buddies when I help them get started reloading. This is more for curiosity than anything.
If you were to do your regular OCW but set it up the way I set this one up, I think you would get even more information from what you are already doing. It's just a thought.

Regardless, I'm interested to see your outcome of the ladder. Good luck! (y)

Last edited by a moderator: