• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ladder testing when changing powders

russkim04

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2019
I found a load to work great with 308 rifle using h4895. Seeing as that power is unavailable,i switched to imr4064. Question is, should i start all over with finding velocity node then adjust bullet ogive length for accuracy or can i use same ogive length i was using and just run power charge ladder to find velocity node? I appreciate for your thoughts- what's your take?

I found a load to work great with 308 rifle using h4895. Seeing as that power is unavailable,i switched to imr4064. Question is, should i start all over with finding velocity node then adjust bullet ogive length for accuracy or can i use same ogive length i was using and just run power charge ladder to find velocity node? I appreciate for your thoughts- what's your take?
Because there's such a difference in the two powders, and if you're at a high node with that H-4895, you'll certainly have to find a new and different node for the IMR-4064.

Reactions: simonp

Why don’t you just do your powder charge ladder at the current coal and see if it’s good? You can always adjust after.

Reactions: russkim04
Because there's such a difference in the two powders, and if you're at a high node with that H-4895, you'll certainly have to find a new and different node for the IMR-4064.
I wasn't at a high node. Velocity was 2420 ish.

IMR 4064 & .308 = who cares what the charge weight is, as long as it is safe.

Seriously though, what bullet are you shooting? 42-43 grains will probably work for just about any bullet (150-185 grain bullet), pick a weight and go shoot. There is an old thread on here about 4064 being used for FGMM and also for the military using 41.75 grains with the 175 smk. The 168 SMK FGMM load was 42.8 grains, I think.

I did a lot of testing with this powder and these two bullets about ten years ago and basically found the powder so well suited for the caliber, charge weight didn't make much difference, if any.

Fast forward to today, I've adopted @Feniks Technologies approach to reloading. For example, in 6BR, I did zero load development with a new powder/bullet combination. Instead I loaded up 30 grains of VVN540 behind a 109 Berger, and the results were incredible at distance and up close. Last range trip, I made consecutive first round hits at 550 on an 8", 5", 3", & 1.5" plate.

His and @Ledzep findings has lead me to rethink the entire reloading concept. This was a difficult pill to swallow after so many years of thinking differently, but the results seem to speak for themselves. And I don't waste time and mental energy with ladder testing/OCW/etc.

IMR 4064 & .308 = who cares what the charge weight is, as long as it is safe.

Seriously though, what bullet are you shooting? 42-43 grains will probably work for just about any bullet (150-185 grain bullet), pick a weight and go shoot. There is an old thread on here about 4064 being used for FGMM and also for the military using 41.75 grains with the 175 smk. The 168 SMK FGMM load was 42.8 grains, I think.

I did a lot of testing with this powder and these two bullets about ten years ago and basically found the powder so well suited for the caliber, charge weight didn't make much difference, if any.

Fast forward to today, I've adopted @Feniks Technologies approach to reloading. For example, in 6BR, I did zero load development with a new powder/bullet combination. Instead I loaded up 30 grains of VVN540 behind a 109 Berger, and the results were incredible at distance and up close. Last range trip, I made consecutive first round hits at 550 on an 8", 5", 3", & 1.5" plate.

His and @Ledzep findings has lead me to rethink the entire reloading concept. This was a difficult pill to swallow after so many years of thinking differently, but the results seem to speak for themselves. And I don't waste time and mental energy with ladder testing/OCW/etc.

Using speer 165 btsp.i bought a can of varget- think it was bad. It is rusty colored and didn't see any nodes. Onto 4064. Can smells great and shoot 41g42g and 43g pretty accurately.

Reactions: Buzzinga