• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ladder testing

Teggy1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2008
Forest City, Iowa
Made it out to shoot at 300 yds finally, 200 is too close for load development, IMO.

.308 SPS-V
175 SMK
R15
Win. brass
CCI 200

I know it all has to do with barrel harmonics, but when I ladder test, as the charge weight increases, POI moves down. My lighter loads shoot above POA, and the heavier charges shoot below, consistently.

The heavier charges shoot great, and keep the velocity up around 2650-2700 fps.

I see alot of people, or articles say to settle on the loads with the higher POI as it is free elevation. Should I worry about my 300 yd POI elevation, or settle on the best charge and dial it?

I have a NXS F1 on it with a 20 MOA base, so internal travel won't be an issue. Is there any reason not to shoot the lower impacting charge weights (higher velocity) other than to achieve free elevation?

Goal is make 1K.

Also, I thought about having the barrel chopped, maybe eliminate some whip, and change the harmonics, but I think that might be shooting in the dark.

What's the verdict?

ETA: clarification

Re: Ladder testing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see alot of people, or articles say to settle on the loads with the higher POI as it is free elevation. Should I worry about my 300 yd POI elevation, or settle on the best charge and dial it?
</div></div>
There's no such thing as free elevation. All it's doing is changing your POI from the previous load you are shooting, which is normal. When testing loads, all your looking for is what shoots the most consistant group with low extreme spreads in velocity. So, where it impacts from the previous group doesn't really matter. Most rifles will start impacting higher as you increase powder charge, especially at 300+ yards since the round is normally moving faster than the previous load. But I've seen rifles change POI in all directions during load work up. Once you find the load that holds the tightest group with good ES numbers, run with that. Now re-zero your weapon to this load and your set.