• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report ladder vs ocw??

prekarious

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
Is one actually better than the other is is it just a prefernce vanilla vs chocolate thing? Has anyone run side by side comparisons of the 2?

My standard dev has been mostly "just go mess with it" for plinking but now that I have the ability to actually dedicate time again will be getting more in depth

Re: ladder vs ocw??

I start with the ladder and confirm with the OCW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prekarious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is one actually better than the other is is it just a prefernce vanilla vs chocolate thing? Has anyone run side by side comparisons of the 2?

My standard dev has been mostly "just go mess with it" for plinking but now that I have the ability to actually dedicate time again will be getting more in depth </div></div>

I got into a new 8lb-er and fireformed some new brass. The previous load I used was showing too much pressure so I had to start over.

I usually do a ladder at 300 to 400 yards on a calm day. I didn't have time to do a ladder nor was the wind cooperative so I tried a OCW at 100Y, then reconfirmed. The best charge at this stage shoots well at 100Y but has more SD than I would like so I need to do some more tweaking.

That's where I think a double/triple ladder has a advantage sometimes. You get to see right off which charge/s has the least vertical. I have a reloading set up that I take with me usually. I can start tweaking the load immediately after the ladder is done at distance while checking SD/ES.

Which ever method you choose the most important thing to consider is how well the load shoots at the distance you plan on shooting most. If that happens to be long range then having low extreme spreads in velocity helps tighten the vertical at distance.

I use both.

I start with a quick 10 shot 400yd ladder with 2-3 prospective powders and take the ones that shoot together and go to the OCW. I record the environmentals and chronograph the all shots. Bad powders are quickly rejected.

In the OCW I go with much finer increments (0.1 grains in a 223 sized case and .2-.3 in a larger case) in 3-4 shot groups selected from the results of the ladder test. I record all conditions and velocities. I look carefully at velocity variation. This is baseline data collection and a fishing expedition that more than anything looks for consistency in group position. I am looking for the most forgiving loads and (because of the small increments) I always get some very rewarding groups.

By now I have the best powder(S), some very small groups, a powder velocity map, velocity spreads, and my OCW.
I end up with a ton of information to be processed and selected and almost always have a few very clear winners. I also have a good idea how temperature changes will affect my load's POI, group size, and velocity.

Despite original OCW methods I normally shoot at 200 yards (no wind only) as I can see vertical the chrono might have missed and have twice the scale to map POI changes.

I then got to the furthest range I will normally shoot the load and start fine tuning.

I do the ladder test first. Then once i find 3 charges that group together i do the OCW (or load to the middle charge) that gives me the best node for barrel harmonics and keeps me in the middle to allow for temperature change with the load. Then i play with different primers and seating depth for further refinements.

If you did the ladder test only you would find the best harmonic node of your barrel and it may even shoot tighter groups but a variation in conditions could knock it out of its node if you loaded to the high or low side of the ladder. Loading this way with my rifles has allowed me to hunt and compete in different places with minimal shift in ballistics but always the same accuracy. I use the Hodgdons powders.

For best results start your ladder test at 500 yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do the ladder test first. Then once i find 3 charges that group together i do the OCW (or load to the middle charge) that gives me the best node for barrel harmonics and keeps me in the middle to allow for temperature change with the load. Then i play with different primers and seating depth for further refinements.

If you did the ladder test only you would find the best harmonic node of your barrel and it may even shoot tighter groups but a variation in conditions could knock it out of its node if you loaded to the high or low side of the ladder. Loading this way with my rifles has allowed me to hunt and compete in different places with minimal shift in ballistics but always the same accuracy. I use the Hodgdons powders.

For best results start your ladder test at 500 yds. </div></div>

He said it better!
smile.gif