• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lake City 50BMG brass 1944 era never fired?

PGWTW338

Private
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2011
Niagara Falls, NY
Lake City 50 BMG brass 1944 era never fired but primed?

I can get it cheap it never had bullet in it just primed!

Any info of what kind of quality or what to watch for would be much appreciated. Thanks

PGWTW338,

The primers would be my concern here, and it's a relatively minor one; they're likely corrosive. In doing a quick check, I show that LC changed over to non-corrosive priming in their 30-06 ball ammo in 1951, and that any ammo headstamped '51 or earlier should be treated as corrosive. Unfortunately, I don't have any info on 50 BMG ammo, or when the switch was made for this. Not a big deal, really, but means that the bore will need to be cleaned with soap and water after firing. Regular solvents won't mitigate the effects of corrosive priming, as the potassium chloride (essentially, salt) is unaffected by solvents. Water, however, will dissolve it completely, and it can then be removed. Follow up with regular solvents, and oil the bore when done, and you're in business.

Aside from that, LC has a long history of making pretty decent brass. Your 50 BMG cases are likely no exception to that rule.