• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lake city 7.62 brass

cloverleaf22

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2021
USA
What has everyone's experience been with loading up precision ammo with lake city 7.62 military brass? I've never had problems with 5.56 stuff but the 7.62 is a bit more difficult to size. Aside from sizing issues is it on par with 5.56 for precision loads and such?

Edit: this is not the LR brass, probably ran through a machine gun

Last edited:
Its great. I use it across multiple .308 rifles and have no problems developing high performing loads using the usual 308 powders and Fed210/Rem 9-1/2 or CCI primers.

Just make sure you are using Lake City “LR” stamped brass, not the machine gun shit.

Reactions: Ravenworks
I've had excellent results shooting LC brass in my bolt gun and in match tuned M1 Garands that I used to shoot in Service Rifle competition. It's very durable brass, I usually load 10 or more loadings on a batch of cases before I toss them in the recycling. I got lucky in 1998 when the CMP was selling new unprimed LC 94 Match cases of 2000 for something really cheap. I'm still using that case of 2000 because the brass is so durable. I've never had sizing issues with my LC brass.

I don't have personal experience, but shooters have said that 7.62 brass shot in machine guns doesn't reload well because the brass has been beat up and stretched so much in the machine gun chambers, but it's a logical assertion. If you can buy LC Match or LC LR cases because those have most likely been fired in bolt guns or M14s.

Its great. I use it across multiple .308 rifles and have no problems developing high performing loads using the usual 308 powders and Fed210/Rem 9-1/2 or CCI primers.

Just make sure you are using Lake City “LR” stamped brass, not the machine gun shit.
I've got run of the mill machine gun brass I'm pretty sure
I've had excellent results shooting LC brass in my bolt gun and in match tuned M1 Garands that I used to shoot in Service Rifle competition. It's very durable brass, I usually load 10 or more loadings on a batch of cases before I toss them in the recycling. I got lucky in 1998 when the CMP was selling new unprimed LC 94 Match cases of 2000 for something really cheap. I'm still using that case of 2000 because the brass is so durable. I've never had sizing issues with my LC brass.

I don't have personal experience, but shooters have said that 7.62 brass shot in machine guns doesn't reload well because the brass has been beat up and stretched so much in the machine gun chambers, but it's a logical assertion. If you can buy LC Match or LC LR cases because those have most likely been fired in bolt guns or M14s.

Yeah I probably got the machine gun brass, I get inconsistent and difficult sizing on the first loading but after that it sizes like any other brass. I've got a bunch and really don't want to spend the current prices for the good stuff to feed an AR (precision rig, I'm hoping for 3/4moa, but still...). I wasn't sure if I'd run into accuracy issues stemming from neck tension issues or anything like that. I've also got some new primed non-lr brass as well.

I've got run of the mill machine gun brass I'm pretty sure

Yeah I probably got the machine gun brass, I get inconsistent and difficult sizing on the first loading but after that it sizes like any other brass. I've got a bunch and really don't want to spend the current prices for the good stuff to feed an AR (precision rig, I'm hoping for 3/4moa, but still...). I wasn't sure if I'd run into accuracy issues stemming from neck tension issues or anything like that.
Look for some “LR” stamped brass fired out of pws’ (m40A3,5,6, M24, M14s, MK11/M110s, etc).

While you may be able to develop a half decent load with that MG brass, its not worth your time/hassle IMO. Especially in a large frame AR (1moa precision is considered very good for a gasser, 3/4 consistently requires everything to be optimal including your reloading components).

I have used regular LC05, 07, and 04 for the last 10 years. Better than the Win I was using. Initial sizing of once fired brass was a PITA but was worth it. As for accuracy I had no complaints. I’ve since moved to Lapua for my bolt 308. Better accuracy? Can’t prove it.

Some of this was MG brass.

I have shot and do shoot. in PRS style comps. And shoot the LC brass. biggest thing I have seen is that if you trim to length and anneal it is very consist on SDs [2.0-3.0] Now do i do good shooting not bad considering I shoot an AI that is more of a battle rifle with a 4lb trigger.Stan