• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lake City 7.62x51 virgin brass?

Charliemike247

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2024
Illinois
Any idea what virgin lake city 7.62x51 is worth? I got a guy wanting to sell me 15,000 pieces and I’m not sure what is fair. It’s 2010 headstamp and comes in the these 1000rd cardboard cases.

Reactions: simonp
Wow, havent seen virgin LC brass in forever, curious what folks think the value is

I bought several thousand once fired cases for use in my pig rifles...mostly because it was cheap. It might be tough - it certainly is thick - as H2O capacity is well under most popular brands. However, at no point have I ever thought it was any better than the cheapest "American" commercial brass.

If I were reloading for a bolt gun, I'd leave it alone and not buy any. For a semi-precision to blaster autoloader, I'd offer no more than you would pay for equivalent Winchester or Remington brass.

• Wow
Any idea what virgin lake city 7.62x51 is worth? I got a guy wanting to sell me 15,000 pieces and I’m not sure what is fair. It’s 2010 headstamp and comes in the these 1000rd cardboard cases.
60 cents a piece. I'm pretty sure small mom & pop brass salvager type places sell "once" fired mixed headstamp 308 brass for 40 cents a piece every day.

At that (above) price, I'd certainly buy...but it is definitely "military grade". I bought all of mine once fired and processed in 2019 for 30 - 35 cents a piece. It makes fantastic hog hunting ammo, and I can squeak out 1.25 - 1.5 MOA out of it with almost zero load development. That is absolutely adequate for what I use it for.

Fair warning about the standard machine gun-quality LC brass though: I observed extremely early pressure signs with five loads across two rifles when I started load development for it. Now I just start at Hodgdon's published starting load and am at my happy spot about a grain over that. My recommendation is that if you are going to use it, that you start low and work your way up slowly.

Reactions: DIBBS
At that (above) price, I'd certainly buy...but it is definitely "military grade". I bought all of mine once fired and processed in 2019 for 30 - 35 cents a piece. It makes fantastic hog hunting ammo, and I can squeak out 1.25 - 1.5 MOA out of it with almost zero load development. That is absolutely adequate for what I use it for.

Fair warning about the standard machine gun-quality LC brass though: I observed extremely early pressure signs with five loads across two rifles when I started load development for it. Now I just start at Hodgdon's published starting load and am at my happy spot about a grain over that. My recommendation is that if you are going to use it, that you start low and work your way up slowly.
That's my thought with the current generation of once fired Lake City brass that's coming from epr. That stuff is over pressured on its first firing.

Reactions: diggler1833
I just thought about something that made me want to contradict myself on LC brass.

I used it for years in .223 with very good results. It also has more case capacity (multiple other tests online or on YouTube) than quite a few other brands. Go figure.

My LC LR stuff couldn't buy a group where the SD was under 10. I tried 'FC 14' that was from the case of FGMM 7.62x51...under 10 SD for multiple loads...same rifle, powder and bullet (M24 / IMR-4064 / 175 SMK). That's when I did an H2O capacity test.

That's my thought with the current generation of once fired Lake City brass that's coming from epr. That stuff is over pressured on its first firing.

I popped two CCI 200 primers (didn't believe the first time I guess) in a row on my buddy's DPMS at 1.5gr over starting charge according to Hodgdon. That was an eye opener.

Currently my hog load (LC 13 brass / 150gr SST / 43.0gr IMR-4064 / 2.800) is only 1 grain over starting charge weight, and I'm just starting to get ejector swipes. Velocity is already 2,579 from an 18" barrel. I started to load 44.0, but noticed that I was compressing already.

Reactions: DIBBS and JR1200W3
My only experience with LC 7.62 brass is the 1,000 pieces of LC 06 I bought in 2012.
I specifically bought it because the spent primers were still crimped in and I had to sewage the primer pockets.
At the time I paid $0.12 a piece or $120/1,000.
I bought it to use in my M1A national match.
Works great for me.