• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lake City Army Brass

Rodeo Trash

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2010
Utah
I,ve been using some Lake City Army Brass .308 that I ran through my full size 260 die. I'm loading 43 grns. of H4350 w/ 140 grn. Berger Bullets at 2.9085 O.A.L. I really am not seeing a lot of signs of preasure but what is happening is they are not extracting smoothly, they are actually pretty tight and today while shooting I had two primers fall out after fired. I understand that these are signs of the load being too hot but I did not think that 43 grns. was a hot load. I even dropped down to 42.5 and it was still hard to extract the casing and my groups opened up. My gut says back off on my loads but I was wondering if this brass is any good. My first load was 40 grns.of H4350 which gave me about .92" at 100 yards. Here is a picture of my group from today.
IMG_20110605_235502.jpg
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Lake City Army Brass

If you necked down the .308 brass and didn't neck turn them, then you are gonna have pressure spikes because the neck walls are too thick.

My suggestion is getting some Remington 260 brass and match prep them.

Re: Lake City Army Brass

Yes, you can neck turn them (if you have all the tools you need). You still need to reduce your charge and fire form the brass before you do any serious load development.

Maybe you should should post this question over in the reloading forum.