• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lake City brass - what do I need to remove crimp?

NativeCraft

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2006
Wilson, NC
I've got a Lee Anniversary kit on the way and will be reloading primarily once-fired Lake City brass.
What, exactly, do I need to do to the crimped in primer?

Re: Lake City brass - what do I need to remove crimp?

Most people are going to tell you that you need a swager die and indicate which manufacture they bought from.

I happen to cut mine out with a (finely sharpened) exacto knife.

A reamer or swager.

Reamers are cheaper, but will wear out your wrists if you have to do a bunch.

The RCBS Swager Dies are better. The Dillon is supposed to be the shiznit, but I have not used one.

LoneWolf, the Dillon is the shiznit. If you do big batches, the Dillon is a must!

Get a C&R and get a dealer account with Grafs.com and order all things reloading for a huge discount! Including Dillon gear.

I just drill-mount a standard RCBS chamfer/deburr tool in a Sinclair holder and use the chamfer end to cut a little radius. Takes about 2 seconds per case.

--Rootshot

Re: Lake City brass - what do I need to remove cri

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you do big batches, the Dillon is a must!</div></div>

+1.

Don

I first bought the RCBS case prep for this purpose: the other functions were gravy. But I found the slow RPM, coupled with large quantities, tedious.

I bought the Dillon 600 Swager and it is very fast. Takes a couple minutes to set up, following the directions, and you are in business. I never tried the other press mounted swagers but a quick solution would be to order the small and large reamers used on the case prep machine, from RCBS, (with the correct thread count extension rod that you can chuck in a drill) and be able to do small batches fast and cheap.

I think the chamforing tool is a little imprecise for primer pockets, but if it works for you, fine.

Cut a little too deep and get to visit the eye doctor. I'm not an engineer, but I do try to use the right tool for the job. A chamfering reamer works, but don't go too deep. Wilson makes a crimp removing reamer also. It has ability for a positive stop. JMHO

Mitch, Using an Exacto knife to remove the crimp is kind of dangerous.

How many fingers do you have left
shocked.gif

My gosh, spend a couple bucks and just get the Dillon Swager and be done with it! Trying to go cheap just costs you in the long run...trust me.

John

I am happy with the RCBS crimp swager, but there are a ton of folks who swear by the Dillon.

Chamfer the crimped pockets with a counter sink.

If you elect to swage the crimps,indicate the heads before & after to see what you distort.

I visited Dillon while I was in Scotsdale and they had one mounted in showroom to try. Of course I had been cutting out the crimps with a Lee military crimp remover which does not let you cut too deep. It now sits beside my 9mm Dillon square deal in case I hit a military case. It is never used on rifle cases anymore. The Dillon swager fills the bill and it doesn't wear out
my hand/wrist when doing large batches. Spray em with lube, resize/decap, hit the Dillon swager, then go to the Giraud for trimming
smile.gif

So it looks like you can approach it basically two ways:
1) Cut it out (reamer)
2) Squeeze it back in place (swager)

Is there any advantage to one over the other?

I personally like and use the RCBS military crimp remover. It removes the crimp, it is fool proof and every case is the same. No guessing as to weather you should remove a little more or did I remove too much.
myerfire

The swager doesn't cut any brass out of the head of the cartridge
case which is always a "plus" in my opinion. I have done both.
I just swage rifle brass and cut/ream pistol. Only reason that I cut the pistol is that I'm too lazy to get up from that press to walk to the other side of the shop and swage it for that occasional piece of pistol brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mitch, Using an Exacto knife to remove the crimp is kind of dangerous.

How many fingers do you have left
shocked.gif
</div></div>

All 10 (8+2 thumbs) at 56 Years old. The trick is to get the edge sharp enough and to cut at a gentle angle so all you are removing is the actual crimp! And it comes off like butter.

I have done about 3,000 5.56 with the dillon and its very fast and easy.

The RCBS swager holds the case by the rim while pushing the swage into the primer pocket. This can bend the rim if not adjusted perfectly. The Dillon inserts a punch into the interior of the case that hits the inner case web while the swage pushes out the crimp and cannot bend the rim.

+10 on the Dillon

I've used the RCBS primer pocket swager die set-up with good success. I just couldn't justify the cost for the Dillon, although I would agree that it is a faster, easier system for removing the crimp.

Saw

No one seems to have the Rcbs swagger in stock,i was looking for it online last night.

The Brass Genie by Ronco is the schnitz.

+1 for the dillon swager. I've done over 3000 .223 in a afternoon

Thanks
Robert

I popped the bit out of my $7 Lyman reamer and stuck it in a drill. Stuck the drill between my legs while sitting and go through the brass one by one with a garbage can in front of me.

A bit tedious but it works
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the Brass Genie superior to the Dillon? :) </div></div>
Ronco's Brass Genie is the Swiss Army Knife of prep tools. It's available in red, green, blue and orange. While blue is not the biggest seller, it has the most supportive following.