• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lake City Match brass??

DaddyRat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2008
Weaverville, NC
Anybody used any in a .308? Had any luck with decent loads. I noticed it was heavier than lapua brass, which surprised me.

Re: Lake City Match brass??

Mil-Spec brass is usually heavier because of usage in machine guns. LC brass is excellent. You gotta remove the crimp, the special RCBS die does it best but for low volume work, hand cutters are also available and work fine.(I like the Lyman one) Try the 168 Hornady A Max or 168 Sierra SMK, CCI 250 (yeah I know they are magnum primers) and the "starting" load from any responsible book for Varget.(About 42 gr in a modern bolt action). Seat em' 10-20 thou off the lands or max OAL whichever is less. This load was stolen from an excellent article in Handloader on developing a handload to equal the Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr load. My Tikka 595 (pic below) does 5 in .5" with 44.5 of Varget, CCI 250s and 168 Bergers.

Visit the hodgdon website where you can print out 100s of loads.
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

308tikka.jpg

Good shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You gotta remove the crimp</div></div>

Fail.

There is no crimp on LC "MATCH".

I've loaded a lot of it recently and its excellent brass. The internal capacity is smaller so keep an eye on pressures as your approach max loads.

The primer pockets hold up extremely well.

Rock on with it.

My question is, where can you get LC 308 match brass or any brass for that matter from LC?

Got a bunch back before all the craziness started. Just got my .308 put together and am starting to work up loads. Weighed the brass and am looking for a starting point to load 155s over RL-15.

LC Match is all I use. Fortunately I get about 40 loads out of the brass before I turn it into "bunker ammo". I find 44.0gr of Varget under a 175 or 178 lit by 210M work well in all my sticks.

About a grain less in RE-15

No experience w/ 155's but I am having fun with 190's
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

I sold about 100,000 pieces of once-fired LC M118 LR brass over the past 2 years. Sadly, my source is gone. I load 42.0gr of surplus IMR4895 behind a 170gr Lapua D46 bullet.

Don

Indeed 44.0-44.2 Varget under a 175/178 seems to work well, like Doc said.

laugh.gif

Hey Doc, do you anneal after awhile or just shoot till it dies?

LC 07 LR brass likes 46gr Varget under a 155 Lapua at 2.850".
2930 FPS.
Rob

Shoot it till I think I've trimmed it too much and then make bunker ammo out of it.

Cheers,

Doc

There was some early LC Match brass that had a knurl around the case about 1/3 of the way up from the base. I don't remember the years and I don't think they did it for too long. I never reloaded that stuff too many times as I had one crack right by the knurl. Something to watch out for. FM

The knurl was to visually designate it as "Not for combat use" It serves no other purpose than it's where a CHS will occur on any 308 cartridge.

Cheers,

Doc

OK, any ideas on where to start using RL-15 in LC match brass with a 210 primer and a 155 lapua?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaddyRat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, any ideas on where to start using RL-15 in LC match brass with a 210 primer and a 155 lapua? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ol Rob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LC 07 LR brass likes 46gr Varget under a 155 Lapua at 2.850".
2930 FPS.
Rob </div></div>

I'd start about 44.5 and slide up .2 at a time until a sweet spot or pressure was found......

Did you look through the 308 loads in the "Sniper's Hide Reloading Depot"?

I was suggesting you modify (lower) the Varget load by a couple grains and go from there.

<span style="font-weight: bold">No load that anyone online suggests, even if all components are the same, should be tried without stepping down and loading up incrementally anyway.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foul Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was some early LC Match brass that had a knurl around the case about 1/3 of the way up from the base. I don't remember the years and I don't think they did it for too long. I never reloaded that stuff too many times as I had one crack right by the knurl. Something to watch out for. FM </div></div>
Early?!?!? HAH! That was M852 with the 168 SMK, which came along almost 20 years after M118 with the Lake City-produced 173-gr FMJBT bullet was developed. I have FA 63 MATCH brass from the first or second year of the XM-designation for original GI match stuff.

Though having a reputation for failing early at the knurling, IME the M852 brass lasts just as short as any other USGI brass when fired from an M1A. It tends to break just below the knurling, at exactly the same spot as other match and ball cases do.

OK I show my ingnorance. The topic of this thread is LC MATCH Brass. To me M-118 is Special Ball and therefore treated differently. What do I know after all these years? Is there a primer pocket crimp? I am now sure after reading these replies that it made the old brass stronger being knurled. I am old enough to know that the knurl meant not for combat use but also old enough to know that if that if what was available I would have loaded my mags with it. I see a big difference between LC MATCH and LC Special Ball. Am I alone on this? I am amazed by the knowledge of the posts in here. I have learned things I didn't know before. I think some are full of shit and it ain't me. Learn to shoot offhand and then talk to me. FM

As stated above by Grump Knurled was M852 with the 168 SMK, Not for combat use. M118 with the 173+- grain FMJBT were used in combat, by snipers. Special ball is the same 173+- grain bullet but in a ball (crimped and sealed) case.

Both the match cases and 173 grain FMJBT bullets were sold by DCM/CMP for years. There was tons of the stuff sold. M118 and M852 Match ammo was never crimped. Special ball was.

Good Luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doc don't know shit...

He plays pool for blowjobs... and loses...

LMAO!

cheers Doc! </div></div>

That's cuz I'm a Corpsman not a Marine and can recognize herpigonnasyphilaids at 10 paces. I also know enough that the floor in TGIF won't hurt a USO no matter how many times you drop it
wink.gif

So have you had that checked yet......................muwaaaahhhhaaahhhhh

I gotts a "bicycle pump" for ya
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

So If I get this right, MATCH ammo and brass is in fact different from M-118 Special Ball? Maybe I got lost on some year or another, I have no idea as to what year. Is it preferable to have smooth brass or knurled? My choice would be without the knurl, and if I were reloading that brass to stay away from too many reloads with the knurled brass. What the hell do I know, I just had too many seperations with the knurled brass. Maybe that knurl was in there to make it better for us as reloaders,NOT. FM PS I am sure glad that there are so many knowledgable people to set things straight.

Mike, LC brass marked Match is not crimped, others including Special Ball were. As stated above, the knurled brass was to identify the ammunition that was not to be use in combat, due the the hollow point configuration (this was later changed as current OTM ammo is authorized) and they don't knurl the brass any longer.

To be honest unless you are shooting a gas gun, commercial brass is more consistent than LC, unless you do a lot of sorting. If you are using a gas gun, you are correct stay away from too many reloads on the knurled brass.

This was one of the advantages of shooting at Quantico when the USMC was still shooting the M-14, all the once fired 7.62 brass you could pick-up.

Good luck

Jerry

Lake City Match brass will be marked "MATCH", "NM", OR "LR". Lake City M118 SB (Special Ball) is not marked as match, has crimped primers, and is far from being match ammo/brass.

Don

I have been using LC 91 Match brass since i shot it in Pac Fleet Matches. My last match was in 1994,and have not had one problem with it. It is very good brass. I use it in my old 700P and neck size only. I use 45.5 IMR-4064,and 45.5-Varget with a 168 SMK,and CCI-BR-2 primers. In the last 15 years I haven't had a casr split or a primer pocket open up on me, and I shoot about twice a month all year round.

Will dispose of any 'non-uniform' LC MATCH brass, just PM me
grin.gif

Some years, the only way you could tell "special ball" brass from any other M80 Ball brass was the use of green primer sealant instead of red. LC and the year, even the NATO circle with 4 pieces of pie pre-cut out of it.

Not having access to it, I haven't been looking at LR boxes or brass lately. If they are labeling the LR stuff "Special Ball", I'll just piss off another colonel or whatever and call that stupid.

If you're holding it in your hand, you can tell if it's crimped by just looking at the primer area. No annular ring (or Euro-trash style staking) around the primer pocket = no crimp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage_Jake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here. Let me help with this subject. I have the LC Match brass. No primer crimp. Knurled base. Any questions?

7.62 AMMO Specs

DSCN2629.jpg

DSCN2632.jpg
</div></div>

The brass in your photos is M852 Match. The link you provided listing the various 7.62x51 rounds is not totally correct. For the M118 Special Ball, it gives a good description, but shows a headstamp with "NM" on it, which is not found on Special Ball brass. And, it does not even list M118 Match or M118 LR. It also lists Special Ball as costing the government $.53 in fiscal year 2005, when it has been out of production for many years (M118 LR replaced it in fiscal year 1998).

Don

^^^^

I wasnt to sure how accurate the listings were. I just posted it for the M852 Match. But thanks for pointing that out. Maybe they need to update the page.