• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Lake City remanufactured brass......

BigtimeAub

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2011
Auburn, AL
Keeping in theme with XTR's Winchester vs. Lapua brass thread, sorta, I was wondering if anyone could tell me about using Lake City remanufactured brass. I've only recently discovered this brass but know absolutely nothing about it. Are there any advantages, disadvantages to using it? Is it worth using for F T/R at intermediate ranges (i.e. 500/600 yards)? Any and all opinions welcome. TIA

Re: Lake City remanufactured brass......

If you are talking about once fired mil brass, it is likely that it is once fired from machine guns.

MGs have a tendency to stretch the brass thin just above the head, so any brass of this type needs to be very carefully checked for this condition. Brass damaged in this manner really should be trashed.

The stretching is internal, and can't be easily seen from the outside, and especially so after they process it.

LC brass isn't anything special in terms of consistency, probably less consistent than Win brass.

I've seen new LC brass for sale, and I've shot a bunch of the standard LC in gas guns, but for precision rifle just buy some Lapua and rock on.

TC

If it is anything like other Lake City brass, it's case capacity will be considerably smaller than Lapua, and MUCH smaller than Winchester. The water volume on the Winchester cases averages ~57.7 grains, compared to 55.9 grains of water for a Lapua case, and 54.8 grains of water capacity for Lake City.

The Lake city brass is hugely strong, and will stand a lot of use/abuse, but you can't make the higher velocity loads like you can with either of the aforementioned brands.

and +1 on the note above regarding LC's weight consistency!

For mid-range F-class, use commercial brass. Unless you happen to be shooting an M1-a.

Good luck

Jerry

If you can find Lake City LR brass it is very nice stuff to work with. I have quite a bit and since it was shot out of bolt rifles it is easy to work with and it is good brass.

With everything being said in this thread, does anyone know anything about the Run and Gun ammo from Southwest Ammo. They use the LC brass and the same bullets, same powder (brand and measurement), and primer as they use in their Match grade with the Winchester and Lapua casings. So.... just curious.