• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Laminated stock finish?

C.Hazelton

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2008
Minnesota
I am in the process of modifying and refinishing a laminated stock for my 12 year old son so that he can start shooting 3 position free rifle.
I know that the automotive type clears are good for this, however I do not have the equipment or desire to buy it for just one stock. My question is, are there any products available in a can that anyone can recommend and work well? The finish could be matte or shiny, just so long as it is a decent product. Thanks for the help.

Re: Laminated stock finish?

When I refinish a stock, BC Tru-Oil is what I use, but I've not done any laminates, and can't say with certainty how the oil and laminate glues work together.

I start by completely stripping any old finish and saturating the stock with paint thinner, to degrease/prepare the wood and make the grain more absorbent. When it's <span style="font-style: italic">completely</span> dry, I saturate it again twice with a thin mix of Tru-Oil and paint thinner to drive the finish as deep as possible into the grain. That is allowed to dry thoroughly as well, then finish according to instructions on the product packaging. When I build finishes, I build them by filling the grain, then cutting the finish back down to the wood with steel wool, repeating that until the entire surface reflects light smoothly. This way, the finish is <span style="font-style: italic">in</span> the wood, and not on top of it. For a satin finish, I rub on a very thin coat of oil with a bore cleaning patch and then immediately rub it completely dry with soft cloths. For a gloss finish, I skip the rubbing/drying step. Just the one coat, either way, atop the finish <span style="font-style: italic">in</span> the wood.

Periodically strip that coat off with fine steel wool and replace the one coat with another. A simple renewal, that's it. It all just keeps getting smoother and deeper.

Greg

Ive used tru-oil on laminates, it works very well. Just apply, then steel wool, and repeat about 8-10 times to build a thick and even layer, and then apply a very thin coat at the end but dont steel wool it so it shines.

Thanks for all the prompt replies. It looks like tru-oil is what I'm going to try. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

just remember, your results will only be as good as your wood prep. sand it smooth with 600 grit, then raise the hairs by taking a wet towel and rubbing it on the stock. let it dry and the hairs will raise up, then sand it again with 600.

then sand it with 0000 steel wool to give it a final shine before you stain it or start with the tru-oil if you are not staining.

apply a good first coat of tru-oil, let it soak in and dry, hit it with the 0000 steel wool, and repeat until you are happy with the build up of tru-oil. On the last application of the tru-oil, go very very thin, you just want to give it a shine, and do not use steel wool on the last app of tru oil.

++++ on Tru-oil; works great on laminates and reg. walnut stocks, to include surplus mil ones. As USMCj stated, the secret is in the prep; stocks are like kids: the more time you spend getting them ready, the better they turn out.

One thing I forgot to mention, dont go too crazy with the steel wool in between the tru-oil coats, you just want to smooth it out before applying the next coat.

I use Min Wax Polyeurethane in a can for a clear.

permalyn is what Jim Cloward uses, and if you've ever had the privilege of shooting a Cloward Stock you'll know true beauty....M700 has (Had?) one, my buddy has 2 or 3 of them - absolutely beautiful.