• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Laminated stock question

Hogshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2003
Powhatan, Va
A question for those who know. I recently purchased a factory laminted Rem. 700 BDL stock to "pretty up" an older Rem 700 Varmint .22-250 that I had in a PSS stock. I noticed that when setting the receiver into the laminated stock that it is free floated except at the last inch on the muzzle end. The rifle is a 1/2 MOA shooter in the PSS stock with handloads and I hope to maintain that with the laminated stock. When I bed the receiver in the laminated stock, should I remove the bump at the forend and fully float the barrel or see how it shoots first with just bedding the receiver ? My gut tells me to fully float it but was hoping someone here has experience with bedding a laminated stock.

Re: Laminated stock question

Check for trash or coating/finish material under the receiver that may be causing the barrel to cant downward. That is certainly not the area of the barrel you want touching. If it is a bump in the stock some sand paper on a dowel rod will get rid of it.

I have seen this hump/bump/pressure pad before in stocks that had more or less sporter barrels. Removed mine on a Factory R7 260 I had and it shot like crap. My cousin who tinkers on guns told me its like a pressure pad that is like that from the factory on purpose to put pressure on the barrel. I changed the barrel and stock so it didnt matter after that.

Hope this helped!

all the remington manufactured stocks have the hump in them. i hate it

At my place, if a stock is stiff enough to float a barrel, it gets floated. If a stock isn't stiff enough to float a barrel, the stock goes in the trash and I buy a different one.

I've seen VLS stocks that have the bump and some that don't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hogshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I plan on removing it and then bedding the action. </div></div>

YES!!