• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

laminated wood stocks

TrapperJ

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2010
South FL
Why no love of laminated wood stocks on this forum? I needed a replacement for my gumby hogue stock on my new AAC-SD. I bought a take off Rem. laminated varmint stock from the classifieds. I absolutely love it. I fits me well. Next is pillar and action bedding. I know I'm a newbie with a question like this.

Re: laminated wood stocks

Wood aint tacti-cool. I bet there are hundreds of rifles with wood/laminate stocks on them but the tactical side of the house is four square into synthetics.

But it comes pre-camo'd. Oh well. I guess I'll have to break out the wrinkle paint and the heat gun.

Is this "tacti-cool" enough?

DSC01634.jpg

Laminate is just a word used to make plywood sound better, for a consistency reason its dangerous to use laminate stocks... not to mention they are heavier if that is a factor. modern synthetics can be much better for many reasons. But don't get me wrong my number 1 rifle is a laminate and I love it...

Let's not forget the tacticool stocks everyone orders from boyds for there .22's is laminated wood...

Lets remember that thos who did it in the 1918-70's did it with wood stock...

Cool is just like fashion.... what is in is likely to change in a few days

But a solid accurate rifle is a solid acccurate rifle. The target is hit just the same if it is the newest tacticool or an old side banging flint with a 42" barrel ( the first U.S. tacticool sniper rifle)

just an observation.........good question though

Good laminate stocks are impervious to moisture. I'm not sure why everyone here doesn't get it. Good laminates are sealed under extreme pressure with epoxy resin and it is soaked into the wood. Basically converted to synthetic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good laminates are sealed under extreme pressure with epoxy resin and it is soaked into the wood. Basically converted to synthetic. </div></div>

Thus why they're so heavy

Some are soaked thoroughly. Some have the sap-wood incompletely saturated. Some will delaminate...I've had two Savage laminates split lengthwise in the magazine area where the pillar bedding sleeves were forced into place (factory work). No repair would work there. There are many bench rest rifles out there with laminates that shoot wonderfully.

And don't forget many synthetic (plastic) stocks are flexable-to say the least. And don't forget more tactical rifles have been deployed with laminated stocks than all the civilian owned tactical rifles piled up, I'm thinking about the Nazi 98's, all in all not a bad rifle. I guess it boils down to quality and use. A good quality laminate is far better than a poor quality plastic. In some shooting situations, heavy bench for example, a heavier stock is an aid. My "tactical" rifles all wear mcms, but I wouldn't be so fast to run from some of the new laminates-I'd love to see first hand the Al bedding blocks in the thumbhole stocks Stocky is offering.

Got to agree-
For every delaminating stock you can find, I can find 3 dozen very poorly made synthetics.

As far as wieght goes to get a stiff can drop from a helicopter, run over with a truck synthetic you are going to gain wieght. My savage tupperware stock is alot lighter than its laminated replacement.

Fact is a good stock isnt cheap or light. My view is the wieght difference is a nit like those who dont mind a slightly heavier scope or think they save much wieght by cutting flutes into a barrel.

Good laminate is stiff, rainproof, and affordable. Plywood is to my laminated stock as a savage tupperware stock is to a Mcmillian.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got to agree-
For every delaminating stock you can find, I can find 3 dozen very poorly made synthetics.

As far as wieght goes to get a stiff can drop from a helicopter, run over with a truck synthetic you are going to gain wieght. My savage tupperware stock is alot lighter than its laminated replacement.

Fact is a good stock isnt cheap or light. My view is the wieght difference is a nit like those who dont mind a slightly heavier scope or think they save much wieght by cutting flutes into a barrel.

Good laminate is stiff, rainproof, and affordable. Plywood is to my laminated stock as a savage tupperware stock is to a Mcmillian.

</div></div>

x2

I love laminate, If I could have it my way, every stock on each and every one of my rifles would probably be wood. Many of those laminate.

for this circumstance I would put a quality synthetic and plastic in a separate category. the main difference you can say between a synthetic stock and a quality laminate is that laminates use a wood fiber (in sheet form) instead of fiberglass, carbon fiber, aluminum bed, or anything else used to complete the chassis. any quality stock will have something of the sort not just solid plastic as the case with the cheap "Tupperware" plastic stocks do. thus making them flexible. cheap is cheap quality is quality. I prefer the feel of a laminate over a synthetic but when I put a ding in my laminate it still sucks, when I fall down a shale cliff with my synthetic rifle and get the same small imperfection I could care less. regardless of how much epoxy and resin u press into wood it will always have imperfections. No piece of wood is perfect. And I will trust my rope and harness I'm being supported on over the branch I'm standing on any day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love laminate, If I could have it my way, every stock on each and every one of my rifles would probably be wood. Many of those laminate. </div></div>

thats the spirit! keep the loggers, mill workers, and truck drivers employed. Works been slow in that industry. Go wood!

I want one of these micro laminate African Obeche for 6mm bench gun....really classic looking for a laminate stock and much less expensive that high grade wood. Not tactical at all but really sweet.

http://scopeusout.com/

Wood laminated or not is still wood. Treated or not wood and moisture do not play well. Take it to a very dry climate it shrinks.Subject it to moisture it swells and expands. Its also weak in thin cross sections (M14 stocks usually cracked in the mag wall area).

Synthetic is the only way to fly if you want trouble free.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VjjR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats the spirit! keep the loggers, mill workers, and truck drivers employed. Works been slow in that industry. Go wood!</div></div>
Sarcasm?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VjjR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats the spirit! keep the loggers, mill workers, and truck drivers employed. Works been slow in that industry. Go wood!</div></div>
Sarcasm? </div></div>

No... just trying to promote the use of lumber for any reason

I had a Masterclass stocks, f-class stock that was absolutly beautiful and fully sealed. According to Alex Stiman the owner weight can be veried based on use. his stocks are also completely sealed against moisture, and are works of art.

I could hit myself in the head with a hammer for selling that gun.

as soon as i can afford to build another rifle of that caliber I will be calling Masterclass again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Duckslayer, is that the Hart stock with the aluminum bedding block? If so, how are you liking it. </div></div>

That it is and I'm loving it so far. Very similar to my B&C Medalist which is one of the reasons I got it. The stock replaced the old junk walnut stock that was on it. Once the winds die down around my area I'm going to start shooting it again and make up some new loads for her. Ready to make some groundhog heads explode!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rolex24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want one of these micro laminate African Obeche for 6mm bench gun....really classic looking for a laminate stock and much less expensive that high grade wood. Not tactical at all but really sweet.

http://scopeusout.com/ </div></div>

Laminate stocks with thin cuts are INFINITELY better looking than the ones made out of a couple thick slabs IMO.

Almost makes it look like real grain sometimes...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TrapperJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why no love of laminated wood stocks on this forum? I needed a replacement for my gumby hogue stock on my new AAC-SD. I bought a take off Rem. laminated varmint stock from the classifieds. I absolutely love it. I fits me well. Next is pillar and action bedding. I know I'm a newbie with a question like this. </div></div>

Any idea of the weight of just the vls stock?

Laminate stocks are very nice and add a classy touch to the rifle. I am not a fan of the A3-5 style laminates, kind of gawdy looking to me. I do like the Monte Carlo and M40 style wood stocks with a high comb. Those are just a nice classic that will always have a place with me. But like what was mentioned earlier. The are heavy and not always impervious to moisture and humidity. With a good synthetic you will never have moisture cause it to swell, and it is going to be lighter to boot.