• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lapping Mark 4 steel rings

Re: Lapping Mark 4 steel rings

Functionaly no, but if you care about ring marks it is a good idea to lap. Has a lot to do w/ the type of base also.

Badger 20 MOA base, bedding at the rear only, the front did not need it.

I always do. If the setup is all straight with itself after everything is torqued into place, it only takes a few strokes of the bar to see it. Once in a while you'll be surprised how crooked things are but usually not so much. Better sets like Badger and Seekins are usually very close if the base is bedded and mounted correctly.

I've used Leupold Mk4 rings and bases many times. I've never lapped but like mentioned above things can be a little out of alignment, nothings perfect, so it's best to at least check it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if it is a 1 piece base; how does bedding it help the ring alignment? </div></div>

Keeps the tension off the base so that it is close to as straight as when it was machined.

Thanks to all for the encouragement. I just finished up lapping them and I'm glad I did, they were WAY out of alignment.

If the base is machined straight but you mount it on a crooked receiver, the base will bend to conform to the receiver, therefor the rings will not be aligned properly.

That's just my theory.

I have lapped several sets of MK4 steel and a few aluminum rings. If the base doesn't deflect when installed, they really didn't need it. If it does, it takes a lot of lapping.
I always trued my bases prior to lapping.

The last 8 or 9 sets have been lapped, the last couple have not been. I haven't witnessed any difference what so ever.

AR platform, nope. Bolt rig, no matter what base, I usually check, but say the hell with it anymore. Don't use my guns as a hammer, but there all tools.

NEVER have I marked a scope with a MK 4 ring. If you have, fuck'n ease up on the torque. Over done in my opinion. I think this is usually due to base surface more than rings.

Here's a link to a great post explaining this theory:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1154777&page=1

It has an exaggerated illustration of how crooked mounted rings would look. Along those same lines, if the base is bowed it will make the rings canted vertically. Bed the base where needed and it reduces the bow in the base. Hope that is cleared than my previous posts.